What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain?

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #1  

Fordguy581

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2606H with 911x loader
Hello everyone, first time here,

I'm looking to buy a tractor that is between 40 - 60HP, my property has some pretty steep areas and I am not too sure how a standard tractor would work there.
would you know what model would be more stable / lower center of gravity?
I've looked at low profile tractors but they are all around 100HP. I've also seen the power Trac tractor, but it doesn't have a standard 3 point hitch. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Paul

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #2  
:welcome:
To TBN Paul. You came to the right place to get answers.

Most tractors can have there wheels spaced out further to give a wider stance. You can also have the back wheels filled to give more ground weight. Others will come along and give you more detailed info.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Just as mddorange has suggested, especially regarding wheel 'spacing'; the inner part of the rim can be flipped around and bolted to in a number of configurations to bring the wheel closer or farther from the tractor.

'Filling' the back wheels/tyres means weighing them down with a fluid, instead of simply air.

Whatever tractor 'colour' that you decide on, discuss this with the dealership... along with what you intend to use the tractor for. Especially what the biggest task that you envision that you require the tractor to do.

Oh, and buy an inclinometer. There are some nice ones for sale (under Safety) in the TBN "Store". :thumbsup:

Hopefully I haven't 'talked down' to you, I don't know your experience with tractors.

Attachments

• Wheel Spacings.jpg
    Wheel Spacings.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 501
   / What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #4  
Another one from WV! Welcome aboard!

Where are you in WV? I'm at the bottom edge of the northern panhandle.

As stated, widen rear wheels, add spacers as well. I added 4.5" to each side, have all 4 tires loaded, and want wheel weights too... buy a longer wheelbase tractor if available, vs shorter, if comparing models.

Attachments

• 20180215_173040.jpg
    20180215_173040.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,022
   / What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #5  
+ 1 for a/ having the rear wheels configured to be as wide apart as possible, b/ "loading" the rear tires with fluid and c/ spacers on the rear wheels. We added 4" spacers to each rear wheel of a Kubota L3800 on which the rear wheels were a fixed distance apart (due to having R4 tires and rims). The spacers made a significant positive difference in the stability of the L3800. Also + 1 for the inclinometer. And be very careful. When in doubt, don't do it. There are many threads on TBN about operating safely on hills. I suggest that you find them and read them.

Best wishes with your selection and operation.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #6  
Agree with Wagtail.
Setting tires to the widest stance makes a huge difference compared to how tractors typically get delivered which is narrow so that they fit on the truck or the dealer lot.
I went from probably around 65" to 76" wide and it was night and day. Now I definitely chicken out way before the tractor is anywhere near rolling over. It's funny, I'll chicken out, stop, get off, stand back and look and see that I'm not even close, then I tell myself "keep going no problem", then get back on, then chicken out again. Sort of like when I try to climb trees!

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #7  
I had 40 acres in the Santa Cruz Mountains in California and all but a bit of it was up and down, some of it pretty hairy indeed. I had a Kubota B21 and used it for years with only a few scary moments. That said, I ALWAYS understood that my wheeled CUT, with the standard teeter-totter front end was pretty much like a tricycle and required that the rear tires remain on the ground at all times for stability. Yes, rear wheel spacing does make it more stable, but it will not cure the design "problem" with most wheeled tractors and their front axles.

NEVER try to work or even travel across a slope of any steepness. NEVER try to raise your loader above the axle height to dump it when your are even diagonal to a slope - that was one of my scary moments when doing some road work, I was pointing down hill on the road maybe 30 degrees cross-slope when I tried to dump a bucket load over a barbed wire fence into a canyon - the right rear tire lifted off the road and the tractor started to roll towards the downhill; only quick action putting the bucket down, crushing the barbed wire fence, saved me from dumping the tractor on its side.

If I would have had the money, a better option for my terrain would have been a track-steer for sure. But, they don't have a TPH or a rear PTO, of course. I like the PowerTrac idea and it's CG is certainly lower but you know if it will or will not work for you. These articulating CUTs might offer better stability but I know nothing about them other than they have good engines and an interesting design. Certainly would have been in my consideration on my mountain, if the price was okay.

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #8  
I found a photo of the Yukon working across a hillside. Looks pretty good, actually. Also, it has front and rear PTOs.
1 forecast.jpg

And is available with a loader.

1 hard knocks.jpg

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #9  
What tasks are you going to be doing?

/ What is the most stable tractor for hilly terrain? #10  
Power trac, or similar.? Think it has 3ph and all. Not sure about hp. Smallest diesel is 30 hp.

Ralph