What is the weight of fluid filled tires?

/ What is the weight of fluid filled tires? #1  

Mudfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3005, Kubota B2710, Kubota B2650 (sold the ford 1700 and kubota B7100)
So today I did my semi-annual rotation of tractors from one place to another. I hauled my JD 3005 (listed weight per tractordata.com about 2000 lbs, plus heavy duty FL bucket, plus R4 filled tires) to 'summer pasture' and in exchange brought my Kubota B2710 (per tractordata.com 1741 pounds, with a FL bucket that is smaller and lighter-built than that of the JD, and R1 tires presumably unfilled since I bought it used and didn't think to ask). I really felt the weight of the JD pulling behind my 2011 Chevy Silverado Work Truck on the trip to, but only felt the Kubota when I hit a grade on the trip back. Just out of interest that got me thinking about how much liquid tire ballast weighs and how much ballast in R4 tires weighs compared to that in R1's which are narrower? Would appreciate anyone who knows the general answer to let me know. Clearly this has implications to us that have trucks towing at the margin. My Chevy is rated for a 5000 pound tow.

Mf

/ What is the weight of fluid filled tires? #3  
Figure even a 7,000lb rated trailer weighs 1,800lbs, your tractor weighs 2,100lbs, the FEL and bucket add another 750lbs or more (Deere doesn't list the weight, but the bucket alone is over 200lbs), then another 500lbs+ for the liquid in the tires. That puts you around 5,100lbs, but it could be higher. What size tires do you have?

Ballast Volume and Weight

/ What is the weight of fluid filled tires? #4  
According to the John Deer ballast calculator an 80% fill of 3.5 lb CaCl would add 104 lbs to the weight of your tractor. The HD bucket would probably add a few pounds but it is not listed in the calculator. These weights listed are with CaCl in the rear tires. Total is 3446 lbs including a 190 lb driver driver.

View attachment 428693

/ What is the weight of fluid filled tires? #5  
I would double check the towing capacity of your truck, I have a 2013 Sierra and the max trailer weight is 13000 lbs at the bumper and 13900 in the bed. That's trailer weight not tongue weight, I would have to look up the max tounge weights.

/ What is the weight of fluid filled tires?
Rim Guard has a table (pdf file) that shows the weight added when that product is used to fill various tire sizes: Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast.

Steve

The 11.2 X 24 tires on the JD 3005 add 257 Pounds. Considering the other responses posted, and figuring there is no ballast in the Kubota, maybe a 750 to 1000 lb difference. That's why I don't bounce so much on the JD cutting grass in the [rough] pastures. And here I thought it was due to the wider wheelbase on the Deere. Thanks all.

Mf

I would double check the towing capacity of your truck, I have a 2013 Sierra and the max trailer weight is 13000 lbs at the bumper and 13900 in the bed. That's trailer weight not tongue weight, I would have to look up the max tounge weights.

A Chevy Silverado WT (cheap "work truck") is a white, bottom of the line PU with vinyl flooring and crank windows. It has a four speed automatic and 4.8 liter V8 that gets about 16 MPG at the best of times. It is rated for 5500 lbs maximum load + tow. You have a way better truck, but I am sure it cost a lot more new than mine did!
Mf

/ What is the weight of fluid filled tires? #8  
A Chevy Silverado WT (cheap "work truck") is a white, bottom of the line PU with vinyl flooring and crank windows. It has a four speed automatic and 4.8 liter V8 that gets about 16 MPG at the best of times. It is rated for 5500 lbs maximum load + tow. You have a way better truck, but I am sure it cost a lot more new than mine did!
Mf

Mines not a work truck version but it's the base model with the vinyl flooring as well (I can't stand carpet in vehicles it's always filthy) it does have the 6.0L but with that I get a whopping 11mpg once I almost hit 12! My last truck was a Duramax and I was averaging 17mpg, 13 with the horses out back. Tried to save some money and went gasoline this time because I was hearing people were getting 16 with the gas trucks now but I guess that's only down hill with a tail wind! Sorry this has noting to do with your original question, my DK40SE has about 1000lbs in the 2 back tires (14.9 x 24) according to the dealer.

/ What is the weight of fluid filled tires? #9  
My r4 tires are a 420/70-24 and I was told they have 450 pounds of beet juice in each tire.

Mines not a work truck version but it's the base model with the vinyl flooring as well (I can't stand carpet in vehicles it's always filthy) it does have the 6.0L but with that I get a whopping 11mpg once I almost hit 12! My last truck was a Duramax and I was averaging 17mpg, 13 with the horses out back. Tried to save some money and went gasoline this time because I was hearing people were getting 16 with the gas trucks now but I guess that's only down hill with a tail wind! Sorry this has noting to do with your original question, my DK40SE has about 1000lbs in the 2 back tires (14.9 x 24) according to the dealer.

Whoops good point. I think that is 257 lbs per tire per the abovementioned rim-guard table . So I guess the JD 3005 is about a half ton more than the Kubota B2710. No wonder I feel it. I also feel the gas gauge pain when I am towing, 160 miles today on half a tank, about 13 miles to the gallon. I have had the truck four years and it has 16,000 miles on it - don't use it for to run around, too inefficient.