What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose?

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #1  

DanielDD

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5090E
Brand spanking new E12 rotary cutter connected to a new 5090E tractor. The pin connecting the cutter to the tractor seems to be loose to me, although the dealer salesman tells me it the right one. However, when you stop the tractor, you can feel the cutter move slightly due to the slop/play in the pin. Maybe its designed that way, but I figure after a significant amount of time the the pin would break due to it not being more secure. Also, what do you call this pin?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 283
   / What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #2  
Hitch pin. It appears you have a hinged clevis, so you don't need a loose pin fit to allow going through hills and valleys. They are available in different diameters. Use the largest that fits. A little slop is normal.

Bruce

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #4  
Could be bigger diameter, but nothing unusual about the pin shown in the pic.

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #5  
It looks like you could put in a bigger pin to tighten it up a little.

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #6  
Does the mower have the swivel type hitch/drawbar on it that will rotate to allow lateral tilt? If not, the pin needs to be small enough to allow tilt without damaging the hitch or tractor drawbar or breaking the pin.

The narrow stance when the wings are folded up makes these gull wing cutters a bit unstable. Be careful when, for example, pulling into a field at an angle thru a ditch.

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #7  
That may be JD's self-leveling clevis, not a hinged one. It looks like the bottom hole is oval to allow hills and valley travel, but you will need some slop to allow for the tractor and mower to tilt in different directions left and right. Without knowing your property, and a better look at the hitch, I'd say leave it like it is.

A sloppy fit between hitches and pins is the farmers "ball hitch." :)

Bruce

Last edited:
   / What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose?
   / What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose? #9  
Yup. Looks like it’s designed to provide movement in two axis’.

/ What is this Pin Called and Why is it Loose?
But...how do I know this is the correct sized pin? I can't find any documentation on what the correct pin size is supposed to be. The current pin diameter is 3/4 inch. I'm going to measure the clevis hitch opening and see what the size is.

Just as soon as it gets cooler outside. Its too hot to go out and look at it right now...