What kind of brakes on M7040 & how hard is it to renew?

/ What kind of brakes on M7040 & how hard is it to renew? #1  

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I'm asking because I still haven't got used to the poorly designed way the emergency brake is set up on the M7040. That and the driver needs to pay attention more :p

I keep driving off with it still engaged so it must be taking a toll on them. I don't even know what type of brakes they are.

Yesterday while stopping from time to time to trim branches out of the way of the cab at one point I had to stop on a slight hill. I engaged the emergency brake and it wasn't enough to hold the tractor in place so I backed down to level ground. I suppose it's good practice to do that anyway but I was a little surprised it couldn't hold.

I'm guessing the rear wheels will have to come off and that could be a bit of a task with that size loaded tire. Just curious what's involved should the brake pads need to be renewed.

/ What kind of brakes on M7040 & how hard is it to renew? #2  
Your brakes are likely wet disc. Which means they are soaked in transmission fluid and yes, you will likely have to take the wheel off. There is probably an adjustment for the parking brake if it is not holding properly anymore and you will want to check that first before diving in to replace the brakes.

Hope this helps!

/ What kind of brakes on M7040 & how hard is it to renew?
Your brakes are likely wet disc. Which means they are soaked in transmission fluid and yes, you will likely have to take the wheel off. There is probably an adjustment for the parking brake if it is not holding properly anymore and you will want to check that first before diving in to replace the brakes.

Hope this helps!
It does help. Aside from that one issue not holding (and maybe I was expecting too much) when I actually use the brakes they feel completely adequate.

Looks like you are correct loggin. I found this Youtube video that gave me a great view of the wet brake disk. When I retire I would take the time to do this pretty involved job for sure. If I needed it now I'd likely pay someone to do it.

Looks like they did a pretty good job and I was glad to see them using a brass drift instead of steel. I think I would have made use of a dead blow hammer and a brass tipped hammer more though. Gotta love the guy in the flip flops, lol.

Anyway, here is a link to the video:

At 7.08 you get a good shot of the disc. Jeez, I just noticed the spoogy job they did with the gasket maker sealant. I would have expected them to ensure complete coverage before putting the pieces back together.

/ What kind of brakes on M7040 & how hard is it to renew? #5  
That is a pretty good video to show what is involved to get at the brakes. Not an easy job especially if you have filled tires. Did you find out where the brakes are adjusted?

Not yet. Just found how it's done on the L series. I'm going to go out and see if it's similar.

Well it is in the owners manual that I should have checked first.

The right brake pedal had 1/2" too much play and the left had 7/8" too much play. All good now.

/ What kind of brakes on M7040 & how hard is it to renew? #9  
Glad you figured it out!!

/ What kind of brakes on M7040 & how hard is it to renew? #10  
I'm asking because I still haven't got used to the poorly designed way the emergency brake is set up on the M7040. That and the driver needs to pay attention more :p

I keep driving off with it still engaged so it must be taking a toll on them. I don't even know what type of brakes they are.

Yesterday while stopping from time to time to trim branches out of the way of the cab at one point I had to stop on a slight hill. I engaged the emergency brake and it wasn't enough to hold the tractor in place so I backed down to level ground. I suppose it's good practice to do that anyway but I was a little surprised it couldn't hold.

I'm guessing the rear wheels will have to come off and that could be a bit of a task with that size loaded tire. Just curious what's involved should the brake pads need to be renewed.

Mechanical design is good...the lack of a warning light isn't.

I make a habit of kicking the brakes off EVERY time I get in the seat, and then again once moving to confirm the pedals released.