what kind of scat is this?

/ what kind of scat is this? #1  

Jesse11

Bronze Member
We found several piles of scat in our backyard. We have more than a dozen deer that travel through our yard in a week's time, but I always thought deer scat was in pellets?

These seem to be more like dog poo, but then again not so much.

Any one know?

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 462
   / what kind of scat is this? #3  
It's probably deer. Looks like it may be eating a different brouse and not getting enough water.

/ what kind of scat is this? #4  
It is deer. different feeds cause different types of droppings

/ what kind of scat is this? #5  
Could be a hog or a deer. Usually a hog will leave more evidence.....does your property look like a small dozer went through it? :D
Not a predator, would have hair or bone in it. Turns white in a few days.
Bill 55 is right, sometimes deer crap pellets stick together and come out as 1 larger turd, depending on what they eat. You can see the segments are compressed. Judging by the green grass I'd say you are pretty far south. Deer are eating young plants and sprouts now.

/ what kind of scat is this? #6  
It is NOT deer. THAT is a carnivores turd, most likely someones great dane or other large breed. I suppose it could be a bear but bear scat usually hits the ground like a cow-patty. That one is segmented, more like a dog or human. That turd is 1 1/2" across!!!

I know that sometimes after deer have bedded their scat is soft but it is still pellets.

No one knows where the Original Poster is from... what part of the country/world... so it would be very tough to answer anyway.

[ I am a Master Maine Guide, I've been at it more than 20 years ]

/ what kind of scat is this? #7  
We found several piles of scat in our backyard. We have more than a dozen deer that travel through our yard in a week's time, but I always thought deer scat was in pellets?

These seem to be more like dog poo, but then again not so much.

Any one know?

Where about are you located ?

Boone

/ what kind of scat is this? #8  
It looks like sheep or goat **** to me: much like deer they're pellets one day, and compressed pellet-logs the next.

...a nd with all respect to someone with 20 year's experience, I've been around dogs on an off for 30+ years, and I've never seen a dog turd like that.

Some log-like sheep **** for reference.
132868550_96d3b2bb54_z.jpg

/ what kind of scat is this? #9  
Deer no question ........larger buck, 4.6 years old, drop tine on right side, slight limp.....low on protein this week.