what on earth does electricity cost near you?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #731  
I find that some "warm" areas are adverse to insulation - American south, and Australia spring to mind.... it's just not done, to the extent I'm used to here.
Averse to insulation, still?

California tract builders were averse to insulation until the 60s or 70s. 2x4 wood construction on slabs with no central heating was the standard. For heating, natural gas-powered passive wall heaters avoided the need for basements. Few winters had frosts more than a few days per season along the coast (LA, SD, SF).

I have lived in the US midwest, east, southwest, and left coast. No region had or has as poorly-built houses as CA. There are still many with board-and-batten exterior walls!

At the opposite end of the construction spectrum was (and is) Canada, which has embraced advanced insulated concrete house construction for many years.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #732  
Yes... I believe you are correct.

The old air tight ceramic ovens have proven very efficient and super clean burn with seasoned wood...

I can't think of one family that I know that does not have one in the Austrian country side...

In 1984 I did all the prep work and it still cost $6,000 dollars to fab onsite but it really works well.

As always it will be the city dwellers in apartments bearing the brunt because of few options...

Those on land or attached to a family farm have more options... same as here I believe.

Good roof, water, food and a means to heat and cook is what it comes down to...

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #733  
Averse to insulation, still?

At the opposite end of the construction spectrum was (and is) Canada, which has embraced advanced insulated concrete house construction for many years.
Insulated poured-foundation systems I've glimpsed here are really slick..... and R2000 etc was defined a very long time ago.....

I get that frozen pipes tend to focus attention, but thermal is thermal...... with all the GreenNess going on (allegedly), i find it weird how little insulation is required in hot climates.

Florida can be bad..... I know of someone from here (very wealthy), who offered a custom-builder in FLA the literal (and on paper) blank-cheque to upgrade insulation the way he wanted - builder just blew him off; couldn't be bothered.

Even with almost unlimited money, it can be tough to Get Things Done......

Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #734  

Florida can be bad..... I know of someone from here (very wealthy), who offered a custom-builder in FLA the literal (and on paper) blank-cheque to upgrade insulation the way he wanted - builder just blew him off; couldn't be bothered.

Rgds, D.
I hope that person found another builder. Adding insulation in the attic is easy at build time and not hard afterwards. Having additional insulation in floors and walls at build time is simple. If the builder could not handle that requirement, I would find a new builder, since this GC will be having other issues. I would guess that insulation in the attic was not the issue but the wall and floor insulation.

The building code in NC requires R38 in the attic. Our old house in the city was built in the 70's and might have had R30-35. Just a guess because it was a loose insulation that settles over time. I always intended to add insulation but never got around to the job. the big problem was the 2x4 walls with wood exterior fitted with aluminum windows. You could fee the energy transfer though those frames. I did fit some clear plastic panels on the inside of the house to insulate a bit which worked. There was also quite a bit of energy loss through the wall slab intersection. You could feel the energy transfer, especially in the winter. :(

When I designed our house, I followed the guidelines for our area as laid out in the appropriate book for our area from this guy, Joseph Lstiburek. I THINK we have R40 in the attic and supposedly adding more does not do any good. Having said that, the one big f... up on the house was from the HVAC installation in the attic.... The 2x6 walls have fiberglass insulation but on the exterior this is 1 inch of rigid foam for more R value but to also act as a thermal break. There is six inches of R30 rigid foam under the concrete slab if I remember right.

We have plenty of insulation and the GC had no problem in doing the work. We put in big windows in each room, and even though the windows are energy efficient, they are not as good as the 2x6 wall. In other words we made a very energy efficient wall, and then poked big holes in the energy efficiency. :eek: :ROFLMAO: Tis worth the view but...

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #735  
Triple pane windows?

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #736  
Triple pane windows?
Triple pane windows are still well below a good wall in terms of insulation, which is too bad. Vacuum windows never really caught on as the service price was too high...;)

All the best,

Peter

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #737  
I've heard of these, just never seen one live.....

Came across it years back, likely on some off-grid site..... I do remember one guy who had the system talking about his young kids having fun, playing with the vac switch when they first got it....

Rgds, D.

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #738  
Content not available when I attempted...

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #739  
Our rates are about $0.15 per kilowatt hour.

The key to controlling energy costs from any source is through conservation. Super insulate, use very efficient appliances and heating systems. The goal is to reduce your energy needs to a minimum.

The next step is to utilize solar energy and there are many ways of doing that. It would make more sense to look for areas that have good solar potential than to shop around for electric rates.

If you are considering a new build, then it is possible to have a home that is heated and powered primarily by sunshine if you get serious about it and choose an area and location where that is possible.
Solar only works six hours a day and hardly at all in the winter

/ what on earth does electricity cost near you? #740  
This what I thought but but this week I am generating 12+ hours.

For winter I change the angle of the panels and my prove-up shows daily production year round...