What PSI should be in my well expansion tank?

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I noticed the kitchen faucet was pulsing water, and pressure seemed a little low. Usual house pressure is 60psi but I don't know what it is right now as my gauge failed.

I checked the expansion tank at the well. It had about 45psi in it. So I pumped it up to 60 psi and it seems to have fixed the pulsation problem. Is there any rule of thumb about how much pressure to run?

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank? #2  
2 lbs under the lower setting on your pressure switch. So if the switch is a 30/50, tank should be set at 28 lbs.

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank?
I'm a complete novice when it comes to well pump equipment. I presume I can find a pressure switch among the various things plumbed in the well house. Do they typically have a rating on them, or do you have to evaluate it somehow?

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank? #4  
I'm a complete novice when it comes to well pump equipment. I presume I can find a pressure switch among the various things plumbed in the well house. Do they typically have a rating on them, or do you have to evaluate it somehow?

The pressure switch is a little box, about 2 inches square, that should be plumbed near the well pump. These is a screw that holds the top on. Remove the screw and take the top off. Info including rating should be listed under the cover. Do not tamper with any of the screws in the switch if you are not familiar with it. If you set the pressure in the tank 2 lbs under the switch rating and the well still cycles, you probably have a bad switch. It is very easy to replace. New switch is about $25. Google "pressure switch replacement" and watch it on YouTube. Very easy. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank? #5  
There is a decal on the inside of the cover of the pressure switch for my well pump system which states the low/high pressure cut in/ cut out setting. My pressure switch happens to be a 40/60.

Just as japody must have replied while I was typing my comment.

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank? #6  
Most switches are either 30/50 or 40/60. Ours is 30/50, which I like because it uses less water. Being on a well using less water is important and we really don't notice any difference.

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank? #7  
Keep in mind you need to shut the water off and drain the water out of the tank and bring water pressure to 0 before checking the pressure of the tank AND a short cycling pump (pump on , pump off, pump on pump off causing pulsation ) is usually a water logged tank (old style), loss of charge through schrader valve or bad bladder in the tank, NOT a bad pressure switch. Seeing you had a pressure reading of 45 I am guessing you did not drain the tank...............

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank?
No I did not drain the tank. Much to learn!!

/ What PSI should be in my well expansion tank? #9  
Keep in mind you need to shut the water off and drain the water out of the tank and bring water pressure to 0 before checking the pressure of the tank AND a short cycling pump (pump on , pump off, pump on pump off causing pulsation ) is usually a water logged tank (old style), loss of charge through schrader valve or bad bladder in the tank, NOT a bad pressure switch. Seeing you had a pressure reading of 45 I am guessing you did not drain the tank...............

My thoughts exactly. Need to drain the tank, then check pressure.

Hopefully you fixed the issue. Pulsating pressure could be a number of things. But it is something that shouldn’t be ignored. If it is a bad pressure tank, which causes the short cycling, that is hard on the pump.