What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor?

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
I'm upgrading from my 25' PJ deckover bumper pull 14K trailer to a GN with my Ram 2500. I've got a Case IH 55A, with loader/weights/cab/fluid/attachments etc is around 10,500lbs.

With my current 14K deckover, this tractor is really maxing the trailer out. Its not so much the weight of the trailer, its the tongue weight.

Looking to move to GN, but dont know about capacity. I only tow about once or twice a month so its not a heavy use trailer. I'm looking to stay around 25' to keep in and out of my driveway. Any of the 14K-16K GN trailers I see are around 11K capacity, seems to be just barely better than what I have although still more capacity than what I've got.

I've seen some 20-25K trailers that seem to better handle the weight, but the extra empty weight seems to be a concern for not needing the extra capacity?

Would I regret getting a 14-16K trailer or is it always best to step up to a dual wheel 20-25K trailer?

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #2  
Personally, I would look at getting 8,000# axles with single 17.5 tires over having duals.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #3  
   / What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #4  
Once you get above the 14K load rating and into dual tire trailers, you're bumping into CDL territory as I understand it. You may want to check out that criteria and I'm sure there are exceptions to the CDL requirements.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor?
Once you get above the 14K load rating and into dual tire trailers, you're bumping into CDL territory as I understand it. You may want to check out that criteria and I'm sure there are exceptions to the CDL requirements.

I致e got my class A so I知 good to go either way.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #6  
CDL only if commercial. Some states require a class A non-commercial license.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #7  
If cost is not an issue, then buy the biggest and best you think you will need. Always over estimate a bit.

7k axles will give you 14k plus pin weight, 8k will give you 16k plus pin weight. 7k axles use 12.25"x2" brakes, 8k, 12.25"x3 3/8's", much better. Empty weight will be around 5k lbs.

You can also go 10k axles with super singles, same brakes as 8k, or go dually 10k, same brakes as 8k, empty weight will be about 6-7k lbs.

As far as a brand, that's huge. They all have pro's and con's. For sure, stay away from any trailer that mounts the side marker/signal in a cutout on the side rail. It creates a week spot. Make sure it is mounted below the rail on it's own bracket. I also don't care for the cutouts above the tires and prefer torsion axles. But that's me.

Do your research, some builders use inferior axles, especially in the 6-8k range and poor paint. Dexter has a 5 year warranty on spring axles, 10 on torsion. Lippert is 6 and 11. Some economy axles are rated for 1 year.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #8  
A 20k trailer is much heavier duty than a 14k in weight, build and price. Too much trailer is never a bad thing but a quality built 14k should handle a 10,500 pound load fine.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #9  
A GN is going to increase the weight put on the tow vehicle over the bumper pull. Another data point to consider.

/ What size GN trailer for a 10.5K tractor? #10  
A 20k trailer is much heavier duty than a 14k in weight, build and price. Too much trailer is never a bad thing but a quality built 14k should handle a 10,500 pound load fine.

Especially for 1-2 times per month. Now if it were going to see daily use that's another thing.
We had a 14K Kaufman at work that got used, often overloaded and abused for 8 years before we upgraded. It is still safe and serviceable. If you're not familiar with the brand, it is a middle of the road trailer quality wise, not a premium brand.
For casual personal use and a 10k load I'd stick with a 14k trailer with excellent quality tires.