What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #1  

dex3361

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm
I know the rule of thumb is 5 HP per foot but my BX1500 only has 15HP at the engine and I run a 54" belly mower on it. Are finish mowers less of a load? I am thinking of getting a rear finish mower for the L4400 and I would like to go as wide as possible possibly 96". I have never used a rear mount finish mower so is this to much for 37PTO hp? What is the best set up a rear discharge or side discharge? Brand recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #2  
I don't know if a rule of thumb works in all situations. Ground speed, slope of ground and depth of grass are all factors. My first tractor was an Economy Tractor with an 8 HP Briggs. It ran a 48" mower with ease. I was able to mow 2 rows of corn stalks at a time because it was geared so low. So as long as you don't let the grass get too deep and you use a low enough gear it seems you should be able to pull 96".

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #3  
I have a "72 First Choice behind a L4400.

I could run a "96 mower easily.

Check the HP spec on the mower.

A "72 is about 20 HP, I think.

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #5  
The 5hp per foot rule is for bushhogging (in thick stuff) which takes a lot more HP. A finnishing mower doesn't take near that. You could pull pretty much any single deck you want with that much HP. If I were you I'd be looking at the 7' and 8' range.

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #6  
I run an 84" Land Pride rear discharge behind a 36 hp tractor. I even cut fields with it with the front raised a few inches (via the gauge wheels). Just keep it sharp. Gator blades.

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #7  
You can easily run an 84" RFM...probably a 96" mower as well.
These are big mowers. If you've got a lot of open acreage, the bigger the better.
If you'll have to do a lot of maneuvering, bigger can be a PITA.

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #8  
no problem, I have 39hp (35 pto) and pull a 90" and the tractor doesn't even know it's there. If I get into the parts of my lawn that grow faster, greener, and thicker than the rest you hear it start working a little, but for the rest of the lawn it's effortless. I mow in what would be my 5th gear which I believe is about 6 or 6.5 mph if I remember right.

I have pulled it through 5 foot high grass before I got my bush hog and it did it, though I had to slow down a little.

Also as said before, wider is sometimes a PITA, especially if you need to get between things. You don't always have an 8 foot gate to get through. I have actually unhooked the deck before and drug it sideways through a gate then re-attached because the gate was about 6" too narrow.

I like the rear discharge because I think it is more efficient, it doesn't have to really move the grass anywhere- it just kind of cuts it and leaves it. It also spreads it out better. Side discharge would be nice if you plan on raking or somehow picking up the clippings because it seems to leave more defined denser rows.

/ What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #9  
I would not hesitate to go 96" on the mower. I wouldn't settle for anything but a rear discharge finish mower because they "clump grass" a lot less and requires a bit less HP to run also.
I have a KK 72" RD finish mower which i run behind my Mahindra 2810HST and Kioti DK35SE HST. My grass last year grew about 8" a week and neither tractor had a problem mowing at a decent speed.
My KK is going to be 4 years old soon, its mowed 5000 acres and i still have the same belt and blades on it. It came with Oregon blades and they hold an edge nicely giving a nice "striped" finish look after mowing.
I've done no maintainance up to yesterday other than greasing the wheels and spindles. I bought new wheel bearings and 4 axle bolts at TSC yesterday for $46. Cant complain about that cost for the amount of mowing i do. I'm going to keep this mower another year or so and then buy a new 96" KK if i can find one . Heres a couple of pics of my mower. . .Good luck . . .John

Attachments

• My tractor 005.jpg
    My tractor 005.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 712
  • moto_0045.jpg
    moto_0045.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 214
  • My tractor 002.jpg
    My tractor 002.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 931
   / What size Rear Finish Mower for a 37 PTO HP #10  
I pull a 72" RFM with 23 HP at the PTO...
As other have stated, you can pull 96" with no problem...