Tractor Sizing what size tractor & cutter?

/ what size tractor & cutter? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Uncle in law has been cutting the fields, I suppose maybe 100 acres or more, hilly, or slopy at best..with 5 foot rotary cutter. He's 83 I think, and the day of his cutting is soon to be near. As I don't care to spend the time HE currently spends cutting said fields, I've been thinking nice to get a batwing mower of some sorts..

That said.. if I can get one ($$) that is say, 12 to 15 foot cut, what size tractor woudl I need for it? I presume the old IH 444 would NOT do it? I think this machine has 35 or so HP. Don't know if engine or pto..in fact, not too sure about anything about this machine other than it has essentially NO brakes!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

So, clean slate..working backwards..interested in concept of 12/15 foot HD rotary cutter and tractor to pull it..

L series? (I'd love to replace Brutus with L-48)
M ?
Bigger?

The perfect answer for me woudl be the L-48, that way I can have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks

/ what size tractor & cutter? #2  
Our County mowers are using batwings around 12' or so and they're being pulled with 50 hp Ford tractors (don't know the model).

/ what size tractor & cutter? #4  
If you are thinking a 15' and you want to cut 18" or taller weeds you will want a either a TS 90 or TL 90 from New Holland. You can get by with a smaller tractor and if you have the money just go with a TS 110. The larger tractor will handle the 15' batwing with no problem and should allow you to mow at a 5-6mph pace so you will cover the ground fairly quick. If your not a NH guy the JD 6020 series is a good machine and Valtra has a nice machine as well. Throw a cab on it no matter what you get so you have some protection from the nice bugs that live in the fields. You can get buy with a 10' chopper and a TN 75 which will allow you to save some money and still get the job done faster then the 5' on the 444. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Best idea is to go to your local dealers tell them what you want to do and they will price out a couple options for you to pick from then compare them to the other dealers and choose which dealer you want to deal with and go from there. What else will you want to do with the tractor as it might help in deciding which machine you will want.

TSphoto1.gif

/ what size tractor & cutter? #6  
100 acres with a 5' rotary cutter? Your uncle must live on the tractor.

Why not have a local farmer cut the fields for silage or hay? Around here the land owner gets 1/3 - 1/2 and the farmer does all the work.

/ what size tractor & cutter?
Takes him a whole week, though I'm SURE he isn't doing it 9-5 type stuff..works in morning, dogs off for while, then goes out at night.

We (they) DID have some guy cut it as you suggested...seems when ever they actually SAW him, he would say.."Hey Doc...I owe ya some, but dont have it with me..can I pay ya later"...of course,...later never arrives..

I think they have re-considered that routine.

I'm simply in the investagative stage now..do I like to spend X thousands on a field mower?...no...Would I rather put that on the L-48 & have hoe too!!!! possibly.. Too bad 48 might be too small.