What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer?

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #31  
The dove tail is usually included in the advertised length. A 16 or 18 foot trailer can be outfitted with 7000 lb or 10000 axle capacities.

Never thought to look at my coupler or ball until now. I have an 18' Anderson car trailer with 2, 3500 lb axles. Brakes on all 4 wheels. Trailer has a 8000 lb rated 2" coupler. My ball says 6000. I've never exceeded 6000 lb total so I guess I'm good. The trailer only weighs 1200 lbs.

I imagine any factory built trailer with a combined capacity of 7000 might come with a 2" coupler. If fitted with the combined axle capactity of 10000 they probably go to the 2-5/16".

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #32  
Good morning,

Heading to an auction today. They have a 16' dovetail deck trailer on the list. I don't know if they are including the dovetail in that length measurement, it would be more common to have an 18' trailer with a 2' dovetail given my research. Would the ball for a trailer usually be a 2" or 2 5/16"? I don't have the larger, I would need to go purchase one.
The ball size is usually stamped on the Hitch Socket assy. I would think it is 2-5/16"

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #33  
Good morning,

Heading to an auction today. They have a 16' dovetail deck trailer on the list. I don't know if they are including the dovetail in that length measurement, it would be more common to have an 18' trailer with a 2' dovetail given my research. Would the ball for a trailer usually be a 2" or 2 5/16"? I don't have the larger, I would need to go purchase one.
My dual axle 14' came with 2 5/16" 5500lb pay load

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #34  
I would definitely buy/bring a 2-5/16" ball.
Keep it in the packaging, and keep the receipt.
If you don't need it you can return it.
Don't forget the wenches.

Trailer hitch... wenches....
... there's a joke in here somewhere! :D

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #35  
The dove tail is usually included in the advertised length. A 16 or 18 foot trailer can be outfitted with 7000 lb or 10000 axle capacities.

Never thought to look at my coupler or ball until now. I have an 18' Anderson car trailer with 2, 3500 lb axles. Brakes on all 4 wheels. Trailer has a 8000 lb rated 2" coupler. My ball says 6000. I've never exceeded 6000 lb total so I guess I'm good. The trailer only weighs 1200 lbs.

I imagine any factory built trailer with a combined capacity of 7000 might come with a 2" coupler. If fitted with the combined axle capactity of 10000 they probably go to the 2-5/16".
People have been found at fault and had insurance denied in death lawsuits. and several million dollar judgment again them for little infractions like a 6K ball towing a trailer rated for 7K.

Retired couple was involved in a DUI red light runner in Indiana which killed the wife when the DUI T boned the vehicle they were riding in. Wifes life insurance denied that went all the way to the Indiana Supreme court. Reason for denial was the vehicle that the husband was driving was towing a trailer that had a higher rating then what the tow vehicle was rated for.

Construction company with new Chevy 3500 towing a trailer rated for 14K if I remember correctly loaded with a skid steer, which was within the rated towing of the truck, was involved in an accident which left the company bankrupt due to not having the required weight distribution hitch.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #36  
People have been found at fault and had insurance denied in death lawsuits. and several million dollar judgment again them for little infractions like a 6K ball towing a trailer rated for 7K.

Retired couple was involved in a DUI red light runner in Indiana which killed the wife when the DUI T boned the vehicle they were riding in. Wifes life insurance denied that went all the way to the Indiana Supreme court. Reason for denial was the vehicle that the husband was driving was towing a trailer that had a higher rating then what the tow vehicle was rated for.

Construction company with new Chevy 3500 towing a trailer rated for 14K if I remember correctly loaded with a skid steer, which was within the rated towing of the truck, was involved in an accident which left the company bankrupt due to not having the required weight distribution hitch.
But it's OK for manufacturers to put 5K couplers on 7K trailers.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #37  
But it's OK for manufacturers to put 5K couplers on 7K trailers.
It's not but I am sure they will get caught up in a legal mess one of these days over the underrated hitches. Most of the 5K hitches on 7K trailers that I have seen in the past also didn't have trailer brakes, so at least in my state are limited to 3K plates, but then still get loaded up to or over the max.

My 7 x 14 lawnmower hauling trailer has tandem brake axles and a 2 5/16 14K hitch. Has to be safety inspected every 6 months.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #38  
Most of the 5K hitches on 7K trailers that I have seen in the past also didn't have trailer brakes, so at least in my state are limited to 3K plates, but then still get loaded up to or over the max.
Yeah, you keep posting that but it doesn't apply to trailers like the one I owned that had brakes on both axles and was manufactured as a 7K trailer, plated as such and inspected in NY annually.
if I ever had a legal issue (which I did not) I would have had LoadTrail right there too.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #39  
@RickB There are a few still around but my area was covered with Sikeston MO 16 foot landscape style angle iron frame no gate, no ramp 2 idler axle, used car tire trailers direct from the factory for $900.

/ What size trailer hitch ball on a 16-18' deck trailer? #40  
@RickB There are a few still around but my area was covered with Sikeston MO 16 foot landscape style angle iron frame no gate, no ramp 2 idler axle, used car tire trailers direct from the factory for $900.

Why here in KY those are thicker than fleas on ah coon dogs butt.