What tires are on your truck?

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
When I first got my truck it came factory with a set of Goodyear SRA's which I disliked pretty intensely. Replaced them with a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's. Thought they were the cat's meow..... until they weren't. It was literally like a switch was turned off and I went from having what felt like amazing traction in all conditions to feeling like I was spinning slicks, even under dry road conditions.

I'm now on my second set of BFG KO2's for the truck and have been pretty well pleased.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Too much mud on my truck tires for red stripes or white lettering. My 2018 Power Wagon came with 8 ply Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - load range E.

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
Michelin Defender LTX. Load range E. Relatively affordable (~$215 each for 265/60/20 E). Best blend of traction and low rolling resistance (better mpg). No burly All-terrain styling, but that shouldn't really be a top priority.

Some days I do wish I had the style of some beefy KO2's.....

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
Defender LTX right now. About 50k and they are done, they did their service. Good in rain, just ok in snow. I tow heavy often so I am happy with the results. Had Cooper HT3 before that, they wore like iron but were not so good in the rain.

I now need a more AT type tire that will also have good highway manners. Search is on.

F250

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 850 John Deere 1025R
I have tried almost every brand of tire out there over the years and finally figured out if you want a consistently good and dependable tire get Michelins. The worst brands in order have been: Cooper, Firestone and Goodyear.

Michelins have always performed for me where the other brands have not even gotten close to their mileage claims. The only way any other brand of tire is on a vehicle I own is because it came on it.

WADFL

Bronze Member
Tractor
Two classic green machines + Kubota L2501
BFG All Terrain KO2.

Have also owned:
Toyo Open Country AT, General Grabber AT, Nitto Terra Grappler G2, and Nitto Trail Grappler.

ssgp2

Tractor
JD 990
With the exception of the spare truck, Michelin defender LTX MS is the only thing I run. Mine, wifes and daughters

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
Don't know what it's like in other areas but the best tire prices here is Costco.

And they really push Michelin's

Their volume buying and low markup makes them the largest tire vendors in town.

They count on members doing their shopping while getting new tires installed.

BobInSD

Tractor
Kubota L5740
We run Michelin defender LTX MS on Three GMC 2500, one F250, and one F150. They get best wear vs millage.
How are these in snow? They are what my tire guy is recomending.

I've currently got some Bridgestones on the vehicle I bought used. Does anybody know how these are on snow?

Last edited:

drag_slick

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T2220 SuperSteer
I have run BF AT's, Dick Cepek FCII, Michelin LTX AT2, Goodyear Duratrac and General Grabber ATx. The BF's and Cepek's I liked well enough, but I felt they weren't worth the price so I switched to Goodyear Duratrac's when they first came out and ended up running three sets on a couple trucks.

When I bought my last 2500HD they came with the Michelin LTX AT2, was a great highway tire, wore well and quiet, but pretty useless off road or plowing snow.

The Duratracs were great off road and plowing snow, tread life was decent. They have a little squirm when new due to the tread depth, they are a bit noisy and getting pretty expensive.

Last year I put a set of General Grabber ATx's on and so far so good, quieter and better riding than the duratracs, good in the snow, not sure on tread life yet as i only have about 7k on them, but so far they're wearing great.

I do only limit my choices to severe snow rated tires based on where I live and plow duty.

blee03

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
I’ve only put 6k miles on my new set of General Grabber ATX’s. Thus far, very happy. On my half ton I had, I put General Grabber AT2’s on and they were spectacular. The AT2 was the predecessor to the current ATX.

View attachment 715517

Yeah I run the same tires on my 2500. (General Grabber ATX - load range E)
Great tires, had them for a few years now. Winter up here is a big deal and we run to the UP towing a 23ft trailer to ride sleds so I definitely wanted the best winter traction available in an all terrain type tire.

These tires are exceptional in the snow, in 4wd it makes the truck like a tank. Screenshot from tire rack below

UbnFhOe.jpg

TreeDreamer

Tractor
M7060, 3046R
On my F150's (last four pickups have been F150's) I had problems through the 90's with Goodyear tires being fine until about 50K then no wet traction at all. One day they were fine, next day they were sliding everywhere. Changed to Michelin LTX A/Ts and have great traction, great handling, quiet(ish), fair mud/snow handling, and average about 120K to 125K miles per set. I think I'm on my 4th set (I put about 30K miles a year on a truck) and the current tires I took off my last truck with about 30K on them, have about another 45K on this truck (after factory tires went bad at about 65K) and they're still like new.

Mark

Ferpen

Tractor
Kubota L3901HST
My 2017 Tundra was delivered with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2. They are passing 57k miles. I have always thought they were a little noisy on the highway but overall I've been very pleased with them.

My tire guy thinks they may have another 5k miles left but I didn't want to wait until they were critical given the supply shortages that exist. I've got a new set of those same type tires sitting in my garage that will be installed tomorrow.

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
I've got five different kinds of tires counting the spare. I can't remember the brands.
If this is on your truck, doesn’t this seem like a bad idea? I wouldn’t drive my truck on the freeway at all last week because my spare was smaller than the tire on the other side of the axel. 1 side spinning faster than the other seems really bad for LSD clutch pack in the differential. Although not an expert, just trying to use common sense, I could be wrong. :)

panamaguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubotab7001 ... IHI NX15 excavator
I'm pretty cheap / frugal with everything except tires... Michelin tires only please.
The top of the line Costco tire is made by Michelin. Not sure about the others

MHarryE

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7-171, M5-111, SVL75-2, RTV900XT & GR2120; CaseIH 1680 combine
Michelins on my F-250. Good thing its 4wd because of poor traction on anything except roads. Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my F-150 because I need a truck I can rely on for my farm work without getting stuck when I go off road. So F-250 ends up being used for why I bought it - heavy towing like grain filled gravity boxes, trailer with CTL, etc.

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
My 2017 Tundra was delivered with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2. They are passing 57k miles. I have always thought they were a little noisy on the highway but overall I've been very pleased with them.

My tire guy thinks they may have another 5k miles left but I didn't want to wait until they were critical given the supply shortages that exist. I've got a new set of those same type tires sitting in my garage that will be installed tomorrow.
Wow! I’ve never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage from any AT tires. You must really baby your Tundra. Last time we went trail riding I got a screw driver in the middle of the tread on a front tire. The other one lost 2 tread lugs and end up looking terrible but functioned just fine.

CJONE

Veteran Member
Tractor
KIOTI DK50 HST
How are these in snow? They are what my tire guy is recomending.

I've currently got some Bridgestones on the vehicle I bought used. Does anybody know how these are on snow?
Most of what people drive in is hard pack or would more fit into the ice traction section of the graph. Very rarely do you drive in 1' or more fresh snow on a road unless you are breaking trail with a truck then dedicated mud/snow tire is preferred. We live in the snow belt and maybe twice a year do we see over a foot on the roads, hardpack is way more frequent and temps are in the low 30's high 20's and it is slick. More like ice than anything else. That is when I pull most people out of the ditch anyway! CJ

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
Too much mud on my truck tires for red stripes or white lettering. My 2018 Power Wagon came with 8 ply Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - load range E.
lol! My son told me last night he ordered BFG AT from Costco. I recommended, unless he wants to clean (scrub) his tires twice a week, better put those white letters on the inside. :)

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
This is a lot like an oil or filter brand thread. But it is entertaining.
I actually cut my wix coolant filter open to see if was catching anything from the system. I thought it might be a gimmick or scam to install it on my 6.0 to extend the life of the EGR cooler. Turns out that some of the Ford coolant actually does turn into jello for some reason. probably heat? But I suppose that’s for another thread... ;)

Ferpen

Tractor
Kubota L3901HST
Wow! I’ve never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage from any AT tires. You must really baby your Tundra. Last time we went trail riding I got a screw driver in the middle of the tread on a front tire. The other one lost 2 tread lugs and end up looking terrible but functioned just fine.
I probably do baby it. Mostly highway miles and rotating the tires every 5k to 7k miles. My rugged trail riding adventures in the Tundra consist of driving across about 100 yards of hard pack pasture from a gravel drive to my barn 2 or 3 times a week.

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
For the F150-550 guys. I lost my spare tire key. I removed the plastic guide tube, between the bumper and top of spare, by tugging on it with plyers. Used my ratchet with 20” of extensions to reach the spare tire lowering crank. After several different socket sizes, 19mm fit over the lock then a couple blows with a hammer onto the extensions. I used the ratchet to lower the spare. Popped socket off. I applied vise grips to the lock on the crank unit and cranked counter clockwise until I felt a crack. I tapped vise grips with hammer, lock popped out. 3/8” square extension now fits in lock hole ,20” length, now works to lower and raise spare tire. Dealer quoted $320. for new lock and key installed.
*plastic guide tube clicks right back in place.

Attachments

• 4C102797-6445-47F1-B151-6412D55D5888.jpeg
    4C102797-6445-47F1-B151-6412D55D5888.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 6E7E2605-ED32-490E-953E-F65543EDE885.jpeg
    6E7E2605-ED32-490E-953E-F65543EDE885.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
Has to cut my spare tire cable on the side of the road. Junk yard for one without a key for $20.
I also run trail finder a/t from discount tire on my f150 and expedition.

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Not sure what is on my truck now...cooper discover maybe in the back? The front are different and were replaced when I bought the truck a few years and 10k miles ago.

I always liked the tread design of the michellin LTX M/S. Just looks like an excellent all season tire and really good winter tire without actually getting a "snow" tire. But....my local tire shops dont carry them, so on my last truck I with with a real similar tire which was a mastercraft HXT. Tread design looks almost identical to the LTX M/S. And they were a good tire.....but 25k miles and they were about due for replacement. And that was on a dually truck that didnt see many easy highway miles....it was all either towing a GN or plowing.

On my new truck....I am about ready to replace the 4 rears. And have been reading up on a lot of diesel and truck forums about the best tire for highway towing (dont plow any more). The ones I commonly see suggested are bridgstone duravis, Firestone transforce, and michellin ltx's. A few others recommended here and there....but those 3 are the most commonly suggested.

I done had my mind made up that this time around I was spending the extra $$$ and getting the michelins. Unfortunatally they dont offer them in the popular dually size of 235/80r17. I can get the AT/2's but I just dont like the slick look of the tread design for winter driving....even though people say they are great in the winter. I am probably gonna go with 245/75r17 in the back...because they are the same diameter....just sucks they dont offer the factory size.

I know I have heard alot of negative about the transforce tires....but it is consistantly one of the top three commonly recommended on diesel/towing forums.

Streetcar

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 870
On my old truck Michelin, but they were terrible except dry pavement. F150 Goodyear wrangler, 90,000 from first set

ROUSTABOUT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
If this is on your truck, doesn’t this seem like a bad idea? I wouldn’t drive my truck on the freeway at all last week because my spare was smaller than the tire on the other side of the axel. 1 side spinning faster than the other seems really bad for LSD clutch pack in the differential. Although not an expert, just trying to use common sense, I could be wrong. :)
They turn different speeds all the time unless you are driving exactly straight. I'm more worried about same size because my spider gears are welded. If the rear tires are different sizes it pulls to one side pretty bad

acrozier

Tractor
Branson 4020R / Mahindra C35
View attachment 715445
2 tires failed under 25k miles. 1 with crack in sidewall. 1 with steel belt broken. The brand is Corsa and I liked the tires, but they didn’t make it to the 40,000 mile warranty.
I run Goodyear Duratrac on my Chevy 2500HD as well as my Xterra. Very happy with them so far. Good crossover between an A/T and mud tire.

Quickster2

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Kioti DK45, Rhino FEL
Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Great tire had on 3 vehicles.

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
Guess again. Continental owns them both. Until they ruin Cooper I won’t.
We had Continentals on my wife’s little SUV and they were at 45k without any problems. They were factory installed. Never did get rain or snow miles on them. They handled hard packed dirt and the extreme heat of the desert well. Was going to get the next set at Discount when my daughter borrowed the car and had a head on collision. Notice, still good tread on tires but below the recommended depth. Also not a fair comparison to HD truck tires.
1633371039048.jpeg

Last edited:

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
On my old truck Michelin, but they were terrible except dry pavement. F150 Goodyear wrangler, 90,000 from first set
Not trying to single you out in particular.....because there are several in this thread, but......

Saying "Insert brand here" is a bad tire.......

Its meaningless unless you say what model/type of tire. Michelin (and all the other brands for that matter) make a TON of different tire options. Different treads and compounds for different conditions.

So note to EVERYONE.....if you have a good or bad experience with a particular tire.....dont just mention a brand. Actually tell us what tire you were running.

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
Not trying to single you out in particular.....because there are several in this thread, but......

Its meaningless unless you say what model/type of tire. Michelin (and all the other brands for that matter) make a TON of different tire options. Different treads and compounds for different conditions.

So note to EVERYONE.....if you have a good or bad experience with a particular tire.....dont just mention a brand. Actually tell us what tire you were running.
You make a very good point. many (self included on previous post) are not specifying exact tires in posts. Thanks. (y)
*also note, I think there might be a little exaggeration here as well. ;)
(pulling of the leg?)

OP
Peace

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting truck tire advertisement suddenly on this page? lol! :)

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
Just my opinion but I think it’s true and a buddy who worked as an engineer at GM backed it up. Any particular product installed on a vehicle new may not be the same one you buy latter to replace it. In some cases the product installed on the vehicle might be better, but not usually. In this case tires, I had a set of Goodyear Wrangler tires on my 2017 F150 and a set of Goodyear RSA tires on my Dodge Challenger. Both total junk in my opinion. The tires on my Challenger were total crap in the rain. Now I think Goodyear makes some good tires, it just seems that don’t always end up on vehicles from the factory.

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
My currant RAM 1500 is on the factory Falken Wildpeak A/T LT275/65R18's they have been a decent summer tire for the truck has about 25,000 on it (bought used with 20,000). My previous RAM had the Goodyear SRA's in some wide 20" they were absolutely worthless on anything but dry pavement, got rid of the 20's dropped down to 17"s and ran 245/70R17's Hankook AT's in the summer and studded snows in the winter.
All my vehicles get studded snows in the winter the best that I have found have been the Nokian Hakkapelitta's, I also got decent service from the Cooper studded snows for a lot of years.

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
My 2021 truck came with Bridgestone Dueler tires. Have 7000 miles on them. pretty good, don't you think?
The Bridgestone Duelers that came on my Tundra are approaching being worn out after only 15k miles. We're hard on tires here but not that hard. I'm going to replace them with something better before winter.

Streetcar

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 870

No offense taken, but after twelve years I don’t remember exact model. I had 95 Chevy half ton. I hated those tires in snow or rain.

Streetcar

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 870
Peace, the original wrangler were great tires. A little towing and no serious offroad

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
I have tried several brands over the decades, all on Powerstroke 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4's, '97, '02, '06 and now '19.

BFG All-terrains: Always liked this tire until I actually bought some, decent traction in snow, ice and thin/soupy mud, not good in thick mud, only lasted about 35K miles though. A little noisy.

Firestone Steeltex was one of my favorites, good all-terrain tire, good in snow, ice and light mud, very durable and long lasting, got about 75K miles each on 2 different sets.

Michelins came on the '06 stock, super quiet, good rain and snow traction, not good in any mud, only lasted about 45-50K.

The '19 has Michelins, super quiet, good snow traction, haven't encountered any ice or significant mud with them yet, only at 21K miles so far.

I have heard great things on the Toyo and Nitto A/T & M/T tires for these heavier trucks elsewhere as well. May try them next.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
I remember that. I'm so sick of hearing people say the Ford Explorer was unsafe. I had a 95 two door sport and it was not unstable at all. The problem came with Ford saying to run, it was either 24 or 26 PSI? in the tires. That was what was on the door jam sticker.
And that was the problem with the tires and the roll overs. I always ran 32 PSI in mine and never had an issue.

That's why you saw most of the blowouts and roll overs in the States where the temperatures were much higher than up here.
The tires and time line I was speaking about were 2 decades BEFORE the "firestone-ford-exploder" time period you guys are talking about.

Mine had nothing to do with Fords, or Explorers.

It was the Firestone "721" tires. They were garbage. But they were "OEM" tires on a lot of new cars (like ours) back in the day. Eventually there was a huge class action lawsuit and giant tire recall. It almost bankrupted Firestone (pity it didn't). This was in the 1970's, NOT in the 1990's.

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
My used F-350 came with a new set of Crosswinds A/T 10-ply tires. Overall, they performed well. Snow traction wasn’t bad, but did leave some excellence on the table. Wet and dry traction was good. They lasted right at 20k miles of on and off road commercial use (landscaping and construction), regularly rotated. Truck weighs 9k, with me in it and usually has a 5k-15k dump trailer behind it and sometimes, hundreds or thousands of pounds, on the flatbed. When they wore down, they got very slick, quickly.

The Crosswinds, new:

E2AE08B9-5089-4D82-8D8F-B97B43A07F4E.png

932A416A-8E90-46BD-A752-E5A207F6F765.png

After 20k miles:

AAB62E32-A2AA-4B98-8BEC-5EC2C45DE254.jpeg

8ED342AB-F520-47E8-B999-FF132A910EBF.jpeg

Here are the General Grabber ATX’s. They have been on 7,135 miles. I checked the tread and I’m running the PSI a little higher than I should. Door jamb states 75 PSI, front; 65 PSI, rear. I’ve been running 5 PSI lower. This was great, on the Crosswinds, but not the Generals. I’ll drop it another 5 PSI and see if that wears better.

The ATX’s are better, in every way. In snow, they are excellent.

New:

055ED077-E45C-45CB-8896-D40D63614C4C.png

After 7k miles:

56206BA0-57E8-4F41-9460-289849AA15D0.jpeg

0B72590C-E091-47EC-9608-069D6ECB63AB.jpeg

I also found a nail in one of the front tires, so I’ll get a combo plug patch out in it, in the morning, and rotate the tires.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
It was the Firestone "721" tires. They were garbage. But they were "OEM" tires on a lot of new cars (like ours) back in the day. Eventually there was a huge class action lawsuit and giant tire recall. It almost bankrupted Firestone (pity it didn't). This was in the 1970's, NOT in the 1990's.
I had a tbird that had Firestone 721 s. When they issued the recall, I went to the Firestone dealer to take care of it. The dealer replaced all 4 of my fairly new 721s. When I got home, I checked the tires they put on. They were used, almost worn out 721s.