What tires are on your truck?

/ What tires are on your truck? #71  
How are these in snow? They are what my tire guy is recomending.

I've currently got some Bridgestones on the vehicle I bought used. Does anybody know how these are on snow?
Most of what people drive in is hard pack or would more fit into the ice traction section of the graph. Very rarely do you drive in 1' or more fresh snow on a road unless you are breaking trail with a truck then dedicated mud/snow tire is preferred. We live in the snow belt and maybe twice a year do we see over a foot on the roads, hardpack is way more frequent and temps are in the low 30's high 20's and it is slick. More like ice than anything else. That is when I pull most people out of the ditch anyway! CJ

/ What tires are on your truck?
Too much mud on my truck tires for red stripes or white lettering. My 2018 Power Wagon came with 8 ply Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - load range E.
lol! My son told me last night he ordered BFG AT from Costco. I recommended, unless he wants to clean (scrub) his tires twice a week, better put those white letters on the inside. :)

This is a lot like an oil or filter brand thread. But it is entertaining.
I actually cut my wix coolant filter open to see if was catching anything from the system. I thought it might be a gimmick or scam to install it on my 6.0 to extend the life of the EGR cooler. Turns out that some of the Ford coolant actually does turn into jello for some reason. probably heat? But I suppose that’s for another thread... ;)

/ What tires are on your truck? #74  
Wow! I’ve never heard of anyone getting that kind of mileage from any AT tires. You must really baby your Tundra. Last time we went trail riding I got a screw driver in the middle of the tread on a front tire. The other one lost 2 tread lugs and end up looking terrible but functioned just fine.
I probably do baby it. Mostly highway miles and rotating the tires every 5k to 7k miles. My rugged trail riding adventures in the Tundra consist of driving across about 100 yards of hard pack pasture from a gravel drive to my barn 2 or 3 times a week.

For the F150-550 guys. I lost my spare tire key. I removed the plastic guide tube, between the bumper and top of spare, by tugging on it with plyers. Used my ratchet with 20” of extensions to reach the spare tire lowering crank. After several different socket sizes, 19mm fit over the lock then a couple blows with a hammer onto the extensions. I used the ratchet to lower the spare. Popped socket off. I applied vise grips to the lock on the crank unit and cranked counter clockwise until I felt a crack. I tapped vise grips with hammer, lock popped out. 3/8” square extension now fits in lock hole ,20” length, now works to lower and raise spare tire. Dealer quoted $320. for new lock and key installed.
*plastic guide tube clicks right back in place.

Attachments

• 4C102797-6445-47F1-B151-6412D55D5888.jpeg
    4C102797-6445-47F1-B151-6412D55D5888.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 6E7E2605-ED32-490E-953E-F65543EDE885.jpeg
    6E7E2605-ED32-490E-953E-F65543EDE885.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
   / What tires are on your truck? #76  
Has to cut my spare tire cable on the side of the road. Junk yard for one without a key for $20.
I also run trail finder a/t from discount tire on my f150 and expedition.

/ What tires are on your truck? #77  
Not sure what is on my truck now...cooper discover maybe in the back? The front are different and were replaced when I bought the truck a few years and 10k miles ago.

I always liked the tread design of the michellin LTX M/S. Just looks like an excellent all season tire and really good winter tire without actually getting a "snow" tire. But....my local tire shops dont carry them, so on my last truck I with with a real similar tire which was a mastercraft HXT. Tread design looks almost identical to the LTX M/S. And they were a good tire.....but 25k miles and they were about due for replacement. And that was on a dually truck that didnt see many easy highway miles....it was all either towing a GN or plowing.

On my new truck....I am about ready to replace the 4 rears. And have been reading up on a lot of diesel and truck forums about the best tire for highway towing (dont plow any more). The ones I commonly see suggested are bridgstone duravis, Firestone transforce, and michellin ltx's. A few others recommended here and there....but those 3 are the most commonly suggested.

I done had my mind made up that this time around I was spending the extra $$$ and getting the michelins. Unfortunatally they dont offer them in the popular dually size of 235/80r17. I can get the AT/2's but I just dont like the slick look of the tread design for winter driving....even though people say they are great in the winter. I am probably gonna go with 245/75r17 in the back...because they are the same diameter....just sucks they dont offer the factory size.

I know I have heard alot of negative about the transforce tires....but it is consistantly one of the top three commonly recommended on diesel/towing forums.

/ What tires are on your truck? #78  
On my old truck Michelin, but they were terrible except dry pavement. F150 Goodyear wrangler, 90,000 from first set

/ What tires are on your truck? #79  
If this is on your truck, doesn’t this seem like a bad idea? I wouldn’t drive my truck on the freeway at all last week because my spare was smaller than the tire on the other side of the axel. 1 side spinning faster than the other seems really bad for LSD clutch pack in the differential. Although not an expert, just trying to use common sense, I could be wrong. :)
They turn different speeds all the time unless you are driving exactly straight. I'm more worried about same size because my spider gears are welded. If the rear tires are different sizes it pulls to one side pretty bad