What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #1  

TractorTenderfoot

Tractor
John Deere 2032R & X350
I believe I understand how to test the slip clutch of my rotary cutter by loosening the bolts and operating the PTO to be sure that the loosened slip clutch is free and will protect the rest of the cutter and drive system. But if the clutch does NOT spin free, and the plates are stuck, how does one free the plates so it operates properly?

In a nutshell, how does one free the stuck plates of a slip clutch? Penetrating oil seems to be the equivalent of greasing squeaky brakes, but perhaps penetrating oil could be burned off after it is released. Anyway, how does one free a stuck slip clutch?

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #2  
If you can't pry them apart loosen bolts and use mower in heavy grass. Added load will help plates seperate then you can adjust the clutch.

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #3  
You need to back into some heavy brush to free the clutch(only for 30 seconds or so),tillers;drop to engage for same.Retighten bolts.
I do mine every spring.

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #5  
Leave the bolts loose and use the tool...

SR

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #6  
Assuming you have already done all this ,if none of it worked take it all apart. It may have a greater issue.

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch
Good advice. Use the tool (rotary cutter) in grass that should free the clutch, but not such a load that it would shear the pin or do other damage. I'll report back. Thanks to all.

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #8  
Never oil the discs, just take it apart and replace the discs, they are only $20 for the pair

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #9  
I loosen bolts, with tractor engine off, I engage PTO, then reach under mower and turn blade by hand. Only way the blade can turn is for slip clutch to slip.
…mowing in tall grass or brush would work too.
…or turning on PTO quickly can get clutch to slip.
Some people mark clutch plates beforehand to see if plates have slipped.

/ What to do about Stuck Slip Clutch #10  
On my tiller I loosen the clutch bolts then jam a 2x4 into the tines & fire it up. Spring maintenance. Occaaionally there is a bang & a nearly cut 2x4. Sometimes it just slips with no effort. Tighten it back up to spec & use it the rest of the season.