What to do with used oil?

/ What to do with used oil? #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
What do you guys do with your used motor and hydrolac oil?
I have accumulated around 20 gallons that needs to go away.
B John

/ What to do with used oil? #2  
I return it to the vendor from which I purchased the oil and associated products. Not allowing much (usually a couple gallons) to accumulate makes the return easier.

/ What to do with used oil? #3  
For us here, anyone that sells oil has to take back old oil (recycle it). Just ask a Auto Parts store if they recycle oil... usually have to carry it behind the counter to the back of the store.

/ What to do with used oil? #4  
I give it to a friend who has an auto repair shop that is heated with a waste oil burning furnace.

/ What to do with used oil? #5  
I use a little of it for starting my wood stove...

I also let it sit in buckets for a time, that lets the solids go to the bottom. I then pull the cleaner top oil off, mix it 50/50 with diesel fuel and pump it through a filter to further clean it. Then I put it a little at a time, in one of my tractors fuel tank.

The tractor doesn't know the difference and I make a little fuel money back...

SR

/ What to do with used oil? #6  
Heat with oil? Dump it in the oil tank.

/ What to do with used oil? #7  
At present I have about 40 gallons of used oil. I've been watching online and going to auctions for a few years looking to buy a used Waste Oil Burner for heating my garage. I can't justify the price of a new WOB. I'm going to search for one more year and if I can't find one I'll start returning my used oil in 5 gallon containers to my local auto parts store.
As mentioned, any place that sells oil is required to take your used oil.

/ What to do with used oil? #8  
Works great for burning stumps. Pour it on, let it soak in for a day or so.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ What to do with used oil? #9  
At present I have about 40 gallons of used oil. I've been watching online and going to auctions for a few years looking to buy a used Waste Oil Burner for heating my garage. I can't justify the price of a new WOB. I'm going to search for one more year and if I can't find one I'll start returning my used oil in 5 gallon containers to my local auto parts store.
As mentioned, any place that sells oil is required to take your used oil.

Try a Web search for a DIY oil heater. Saw one that was made from a gas hot water heater tank.

/ What to do with used oil? #10  
Put it into a five gallon bucket or a half 30 or 55 gallon barrel and then soak my PT 4x4 or 6x6's ends for rot and termite resistance.

Make an oil burner for your shop.

Set up a filtering system, then mix it with diesel to power your older tractors, diesel trucks or deuce and halfs.

Take it to any garage, auto parts store and any place that changes oil in vehicles.