What to look for in a used tractor

/ What to look for in a used tractor #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
Ok, all ye experts out there.. this is a hypothetical question, but I think a good one. You have been looking at used tractors for about a year or so, and find one in the size range you want, at a price you can afford. It is a diesel, of a major brand, 10-15 years old, has 1500-2500 hours on it, looks like it has been well maintained, but worked hard also. Tires are worn some but look okay, no signs of fluids leaking all over the place. Fluids don't look or smell funny. You've climbed under the tractor and there are no signs of the thing being broken and glued back together. It has a ROPS and the PTO turns, the tractor goes in all gears and makes no unusual noises. The lift arms go up and down.

What are the top two or three other things to be looking at, or are there ones that should even come before all that?

An aside to dealers: Geeze, when you're selling a $10,000 item, wouldn't it make sense to replace that ridiculous torn and moldy seat?

/ What to look for in a used tractor #2  
1. Try to check and see how easily (or hard) it is to crank when it's cold, (been sitting all night).
2. See if it cranks right back up after it's warmed up and you kill it.
3. Raise the hydraulic lift all the way up, preferably with a heavy implement on it, and then kill the tractor and see if the lift leaks down.

/ What to look for in a used tractor #3  
Ok, all ye experts out there.. this is a hypothetical question, but I think a good one. You have been looking at used tractors for about a year or so, and find one in the size range you want, at a price you can afford. It is a diesel, of a major brand, 10-15 years old, has 1500-2500 hours on it, looks like it has been well maintained, but worked hard also. Tires are worn some but look okay, no signs of fluids leaking all over the place. Fluids don't look or smell funny. You've climbed under the tractor and there are no signs of the thing being broken and glued back together. It has a ROPS and the PTO turns, the tractor goes in all gears and makes no unusual noises. The lift arms go up and down.

What are the top two or three other things to be looking at, or are there ones that should even come before all that?

An aside to dealers: Geeze, when you're selling a $10,000 item, wouldn't it make sense to replace that ridiculous torn and moldy seat?

Brakes for sure--check the linings for excessive wear.
Steering---should be smooth and easy to operate-makes a big difference in operator comfort
Spend extra time checking the two stage clutch for slipping and the pto shift lever (shifts hard or easy into and out of gear)
Rear tires---tube type or tubeless?
Check the rear tire rims for evidence of corrosion due to whatever has been loaded into the tires (calcium chloride can do a number on steel rims).

/ What to look for in a used tractor #4  

I hear ya.. can't tell ya how many tractors I've seen for sale that when you go look at them.. there is some 10$ or cheaper part bad or missing and seller says 'it needs this'

well.. why does the seller not get it and put it on.

I saw a guy trying to sell a tractor that needed a battery and another that needed an ignition switch. asking low money due to that.

why not replace the 50$ walmart battery or wire in a 5$ switch, and then double yer money?????

can't answer your other questions.

tractors I look at are never in as good a condition as you mention.. :)

soundguy

/ What to look for in a used tractor #5  
I hear ya.. can't tell ya how many tractors I've seen for sale that when you go look at them.. there is some 10$ or cheaper part bad or missing and seller says 'it needs this'

I saw a guy trying to sell a tractor that needed a battery and another that needed an ignition switch. asking low money due to that.

why not replace the 50$ walmart battery or wire in a 5$ switch, and then double yer money?????

soundguy
"tractors I look at are never in as good a condition as you mention.."

Gragree. M-O-F, I understand your example above is for hypothetical purposes but that's an ideal used machine you describe.

Supposing your example........listen to it. Run it, use it, use the ears.

No two tractors will drive, steer, shift, ride, turn the PTO, lift, or idle exactly the same. But, you will know when a tractor doesn't clutch/steer/lift/shift/hydro correctly. Seat of the pants, gut feeling will be the tell-tale warning.

/ What to look for in a used tractor #6  

soundguy
"tractors I look at are never in as good a condition as you mention.."

Gragree. M-O-F, I understand your example above is for hypothetical purposes but that's an ideal used machine you describe.

Supposing your example........listen to it. Run it, use it, use the ears.

No two tractors will drive, steer, shift, ride, turn the PTO, lift, or idle exactly the same. But, you will know when a tractor doesn't clutch/steer/lift/shift/hydro correctly. Seat of the pants, gut feeling will be the tell-tale warning.

/ What to look for in a used tractor
Thanks for the replies, all. You all make good sense!

I love looking at tractors, even old ones that I would never buy. Always think of the farmers, kids, now grown old or gone, who worked with them, the crops.. the sweat.. all of it.. There's something about an old truck or tractor that holds the soul of the previous owners..

/ What to look for in a used tractor #8  
Make sure its been payed off in full.
So that your not handing your money over,then later to find out owner still owes on it. ;)

Boone

/ What to look for in a used tractor
Wow! That's a good one! Tractors here don't have titles (do they in other states?) so it's not like its cut-and-dry.. how can you be sure?