What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture?

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #21  
It is hard to see the actual slope on your hillsides from a photograph. I get a pretty quick "pucker" on slopes that more experienced people mow easily without concern . . . having said that though, it really doesn't look too bad, particularly if you mow up and down the slope rather than sideways. How many acres is the field you want to mow? If it's less than 5, then maybe even a zero turn machine with a 5 or 6' deck would make sense. Is there a reasonably flat area at the top where you could turn around if you drove up the hill, turned, then drove down the hill?

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #22  
Any late 90s 25-35hp 4wd CUT would do the trick. (John Deere 850, New Holland TC33, Kubota L3010, etc). They can be found in your price range if they don't have a loader, but it might take a while. As also mentioned, a used industrial roadside mowing tractor might also be an option.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #23  
Let someone cut hay off it. Or just let the grass grow and pluck the weeds.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #24  
Let someone cut hay off it. Or just let the grass grow and pluck the weeds.

If the owner of that property asked me to cut “hay” of off that, I’d politely thank them and wish him good luck.
Steep ground, rocks showing, trees and broom sedge dont make it worthwhile.

Now if he wants to talk about him paying for a rehab & clean-up and I got other fields nearby…..maybe.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #25  
If the owner of that property asked me to cut “hay” of off that, I’d politely thank them and wish him good luck.
Steep ground, rocks showing, trees and broom sedge dont make it worthwhile.

Now if he wants to talk about him paying for a rehab & clean-up and I got other fields nearby…..maybe.

I'm not talking about pay to play for hay. Ten acres I'll do. That's the least I'll do.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #26  
Any late 90s 25-35hp 4wd CUT would do the trick. (John Deere 850, New Holland TC33, Kubota L3010, etc). They can be found in your price range if they don't have a loader, but it might take a while. As also mentioned, a used industrial roadside mowing tractor might also be an option.

Right on the money Mr Biscuit! My thoughts exactly. I've bought a couple of Kubota B2150's in the last 5 years in the $5K price range. 4cyl 24 hp diesel does very well with a 5ft hog. HOWEVER they are no good on steeper ground unless you put in spacers in the back. I use 6" per side spacers on one B2150 and made a very comfortable steep ground trator out of one that was WAY to scary to use on a 45% slope. All that said my 2 cents on the OP is:

1) Do not even consider a 2wd tractor. Except for very old Fords/Fergusons a 2WD tractor is a stuck tractor on wet areas, hillsides like you show, etc. No reason to tolerate that.
2) A 4WD tractor gives you brakes on all 4 wheels when engaged. Essentially no 2wd tractors have 4 wheel brakes and that makes a huge difference at times.
3) I would steer away from the used industrial roadside machines. They have typically been beaten to death and will cost you a lot in maintenance. There exist exceptions of course.
4) No larger area than you have to maintain, just like airbiscuit says, a good used 4wd tractor with AG tires and a 5ft bush hog will do everything you need to do. Deere and Massey Ferg and New Holland are all good and many have the ability to spread the rear tires further apart than Kubota. Ability to spread the rear tires is mandatory in your case (unless you put on spacers on a Kubota) in my opinion.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #27  
Here was my $5k solution (took a year to find)

1649090226986.png

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #28  
Wife and I are buying a second home in Virginia to vacation at and do short term rental. This particular one has a 13 ac pasture which has been used very recently, but is extremely hilly in spots. We won’t keep animals on it since we won’t be here all the time, maybe rent it to a local farmer.

I’d like to see what piece of equipment would be the safest to mow and help maintain the property? I want something I can leave here so I don’t have to trailer my BX or larger Case IH back and forth when I go up. Budget of $5-7k max. I don’t have any illusions that I will be mowing the very steep parts, but I’d like to feel somewhat safe mowing the other areas that are less hilly.

I feel like a normal 2wd tractor like a MF 135, IH 444 etc would fit the bill just fine but still can be tippy. Thought about another BX for low center of gravity, but I know the capability is limited.

What are your suggestions?
After 30+ years of owning only farm tractors, I finally bought a Kubota B. I was shocked how much less stable it was on any kind of slope. Its much better now after adding 3" wheel extensions, but still scary at times. I would suggest looking for an older farm tractor in the 30-40 hp range, and with loaded tires. I have a 1960's IH industrial tractor, the back wheels are just under 7' wide. Its extremely stable on steep slopes and would work well for what you need. Models 2424, 2444 for example.

Tim

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #29  
If you can find someone that has stock and wants to rent it, let it be their problem to keep mowed and fenced. Problem would be solved for now.

/ What tractor or piece of equipment for this hilly pasture? #30  
I used to bush hog 9 acres of hillside that had grass covered hidden rock ledges with a Ford 641 Workmaster. It had quick spread wheels so I spread them all the way out. It was nerve racking at first but after a couple of seasons I learned how to handle the hazards. Practice in a low risk area and learn what your equipment can and cannot do. Always have a plan on how you are going to turn around or circle back.