What tractor to buy to move large round bales??

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #1  

johnking2

Tractor
massey 135
I figured this would be the best place to ask. I need a tractor that can unloaded and move large round bales off a trailer. I buy most of my hay and cannot find anyone that will deliever hay because I cannot unload it efficiently. I hate to have to buy a another tractor but that is what i have to do. I have a 90 acre farm and will use the tractor for other things but I figure that anything that unload a large round bale can do anything else I need to do. I would like to get the least complex tractor I can(No DEF/emmissions stuff) but not scrimp on performance. What would you get? Age and price are not a factor, I want a solid machine that will get the job done 4x4 would be nice but not a deal breaker.

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #2  
Is it double stacked on the trailer or even tripple?
How much height do you need to lift to?
Are you using a grapple or a spear?
I would say that you need a 125 horse tractor with weights and preferably bar axles so you can get the wheel spread out wide.
Something to consider would be a tellahandler, very expensive and limited use other then loading and unloading,
unless it could be rented for a day when deliverys are made.
If it's just a single high trailer load most any 60-75 horse tractor could safely do it.

Just a note a round bale coming back over a loader can and has killed operators, care whe lifting high.

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #3  
Do you have a skid steer yet?

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #4  
Get a compact telehandler with SSQA: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...pact-telehandler-post3243370.html#post3243370

Unloading 5x6 bales from a 12 foot long trailer:

PA050029.JPG
PA050033.JPG

View from the seat, it can unload all bales from one side of the deckover trailer:

PA050043.JPG
PA050056.JPG

The 7 foot brush hog:

PA010010.JPG
PA010016.JPG

4x4 and 4 wheel steer let it get around in the woods:

PA160029.JPG
PA160035.JPG

Moving dirt with the 6 foot wide 1 cubic yard bucket:

P3200021.JPG
P4180005.JPG

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales??
Double high, no skidsteer

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #6  
Here is a good candidate;
Pardon Our Interruption

Or if you have more use for it a Telehandler could be a consideration.

Reaching up 2 high I'd want quite a bit of tractor for stability.

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #8  
Is it double stacked on the trailer or even tripple?
How much height do you need to lift to?
Are you using a grapple or a spear?
I would say that you need a 125 horse tractor with weights and preferably bar axles so you can get the wheel spread out wide.

If it's just a single high trailer load most any 60-75 horse tractor could safely do it.

Just a note a round bale coming back over a loader can and has killed operators, care whe lifting high.

Triple high rd bales on a GN or 18 wheeler trailer will not pass under most highway overpasses(bridges). Double stacked 6 ft diameter rd bales won't fit under some overpasses. BTDT

I've handled many loads of 4X5.5 rd bales with my Kubota M7040(64 pto hp) that were delivered on an 18 wheeler trailer containing 38 bales. Ideally one should have 750#-1000# counterbalance weight on 3 pt to ""drastically relieve stress on frt axle"" plus give extra tractor stability. I previously utilized a Kubota M4900(45 pto hp) 2 wheel drive with 3 pt counterbalance weight to perform the same task but traded for the M7040 to get option of hyd reverser.

I agree utilize bale spears not bale forks.

Several yrs ago I baled hay for a wheelchair bound neighbor that had several yrs back moved RB hay with a FEL with bale fork that rd bale rolled back down FEL boom crippling him.

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #9  
We use a squeeze bale grapple to handle our round bales,
many of ours are silage bales which can get quite heavy and if you pierce a hole in the wrapping you just wasted that time and expense and the cost of that bale.
It also allows us to set a bale in a feeder or feed wagon
View attachment IMG_20170918_112944716_HDR.jpg IMG_20190523_153103865.jpg
That is 125 hp tractor handling bales,
can it be done with less?, yes it can and has been done with less.
Throw in mud and ruts a few side hills, maybe hurrying for weather or just to get done.
Then if stacking 2 or 3 high the larger the easier and safer most of the time.

/ What tractor to buy to move large round bales?? #10  
2cents: Lift capacity, lift height, stability (width and weight) would be my primary factors. Bigger horsepower is usually on par with these.
4wd would be another, but I wouldn’t use it to cheat (much) on the weight (and/or counter balance).