What would these tire chains fit??

/ What would these tire chains fit?? #1  

joh

Tractor
MF 1455 Power Shuttle, 4wd, 1040 FEL
I bought some studded tire chains that are too wide for my tires. They are 26" wide, 11 studded ( 3/8 ) links with a non-studded link and cross hook link on each end. The chains are 66" long, 35 side chain links that are 3/16. The latching device arm isn't included in the length measurement, probably adds a couple of inches. The studded rectangles that form centered in the chain are 8 x 11", outside measurements. A tire guy who sells tire chains for everything, suggested that they were probably made for a small fat turf tire, maybe a 16.9 on a 16 rim. I'd like to move these on, so it would be nice to know what they should fit without too much alteration! I'd have to remove 4 to 6 cross links for the width of my tires (2 or 3 on each side of the chain). What do you think? Thanks, in advance for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_2738.JPG
    IMG_2738.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 121
   / What would these tire chains fit?? #2  
Being that they are only 66" long means the dia of the edge chain is 21". If you have 3" worth on the sidewall, the tire dia would be about 27" and tire width about 20". If it was on a 29" dia tire, it would have 4" on the sidewall and be 18" wide.

Maybe for the short/wide tires on a ditch witch or small crawling machine?

/ What would these tire chains fit?? #3  
Do you have spare studded chain links and cross connecting links?

You need a tire chain repair tool and a small bolt cutter to do this without filling the swear jar.

What you need to do is this:

1. remove cross chain the connecting links from one set of cross chains 2. lay the cross chains (one square set) on top of the tire making sure both sides are equal in length from the top of the sidewall. By now the chain will be laying on the tread and laying over the side and then you can look to see how far the chain is down on the sidewall.

You want the gripping chain to come down to the lowest edge of the sidewall on both sides of the tire and then you can measure how many chain
links you have to cut with the bolt cutters.

I would not remove any more than one link from both sides and measure how the chain lays on the tread as you want it to come down half way on the side wall on both sides of the tires sidewalls so you know it is mounted correctly.

/ What would these tire chains fit??
Thanks ruffdog, you've got a handle on calculating what it would fit, it in agreement with, what I was told from someone who sells chains. I was told that 16.9 x 16 would be a close approximation, probably a small wide turf tire. I have a 9.5 x 16 agricultural tire is 30 1/2 in diameter and 9.5 wide, from tire bead to tire bead over the rubber is 20.5 to 22 wide measuring with a tape rule (difference due to where placement is with respect to the lug profile), the chains I have are almost twice the width I need!

Thanks, leonz, I spent the big bucks a long time ago, to buy the chain repair tool, when working on fitting cleated ring chains on my old tractor! I like your idea of removing one of the "square" cross chain sets, to lay over the tire and get the best width! I came up with removing 2 or 3 cross links per side by relocating the cross hook links on each side (without removing any links) and measuring the temporary new chain width. If I removed 2 links per side the width was 19", removing 3 links per side gave a width of 16". I don't see any benefit to having studded links on the side of the tires and I don't like to cut out a lot of the more "expensive" studded links. My other concern was the width of the studded squares (I called 8 x 11 rectangles), might be too close to the edge of a 9.5 tire!! That why I thought it best to move these chains on, to someone else, that would better use it's dimensions!!!!

Last edited:
got the Ok to return the chains tomorrow, for a full refund!

/ What would these tire chains fit?? #6  
That was an unusual pattern on that chain also.

If I had to guess, rather than design a chain set for a compact tractor with ag tires, someone decided, just to group the cross chains of a studded turf or industrial tire and join them together with some links to create a square / rectangle. This would be an attempt to allow the chains to sit on top of an agricultural tire (not falling into the lug gaps)!!!

/ What would these tire chains fit?? #8  
That was an unusual pattern on that chain also.

Looked like a Duo-Grip chain to me?? Rough ride on hard surfaces, but a good combination of forward and lateral traction (Ladder style chains tend to be rather weak on the lateral traction, so operating on side-hills can be an adventure. Duo-grips are significantly better on that - not as good as the Euro style, but still pretty good.)

/ What would these tire chains fit?? #9  
Similar to a duo-grip but with the studded twist link of the Euros, most of the duo-grip had just a couple of heavy links tieing the two cross chains.

They are called the Twinway-Six Studded. Works well on ice and hard packed snow. I Never used aggressive chains on pavement or hard packed gravel, would definitely be a rough ride. They come on and off easy, just put them on when you need them!