What's happened to Shield Arc

user.69169

Veteran Member
It didn't work in my part of SC. Probably because we're still being punished for starting the Civil War.

SIR, I believe you meant to type Criminal Lincoln's violent overreaction to a proper eviction, or War of Northern Aggression. A proper board would autocorrect such errors.

OP
S

stuckmotor

Elite Member
Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
SIR, I believe you meant to type Criminal Lincoln's violent overreaction to a proper eviction, or War of Northern Aggression. A proper board would autocorrect such errors.

(removed),
I certainly hope Shield Arc is alright.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Last try... otherwise you will have to go to SA's profile.
Capture.jpeg

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
His link works on my phone, but not my laptop.
Then again my home internet is so so lately that I just found out that Apollo 12 is back on earth.

user.69169

Veteran Member
Top line says "Real men build bridges" Bottom line says "Real women have bridges"

Danged if I can figure out what real about a woman wid removable teeth.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
I get a picture of two bridges that I can stretch enough to just read the caption. I thought it was supposed to download for a better view. Maybe I'm not being punished after all.

Sorry I lifted the low res photo from SA's profile. Yes, a higher res photo would be better but I liked being chauvinistic where I can get away with it. :D

OP
S

stuckmotor

Elite Member
Tractor
Sorry I lifted the low res photo from SA's profile. Yes, a higher res photo would be better but I liked being chauvinistic where I can get away with it. :D

Well then, I had it all along. Sorry about getting confused. We can blame it on my dry eyes and my persecution complex.

OP
S

stuckmotor

Elite Member
Tractor
Dragoneggs,
I was about to tell you there was no need to hunt for the high res version when I saw you'd already put one up. The picture was better and you're a good nest of eggs, my friend.
Stuck

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
OK, here is the story. I finally caught Shield-Arc (Carl) at home today. He is still alive but is not in very good physical shape. Also his wife recently had a series of 19 strokes which have left her an invalid and he is caring for her the best, with help, he is able. His old pile driving accident has come home to roost badly. He cannot raise his arms above his midsection and fingers cannot manipulate the keyboard any more. he has to give up on both forums. His shop time is now almost nil except he is teaching his grandson to weld. He sends his best wishes to all and keep him in your hearts and prayers.

Overall he does not look good. He has lost a lot weight and walks haltingly. God bless and keep him. He is 10 years younger than me so at 85 I may not be far behind him. My old pipefitter days are coming home to roost with a vengeance with spinal problems, if my cardiologist allows, I am facing two back surgeries.

Ron

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
Thank you for following up with him. God bless him.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Wonderful of you to follow up... can't hurt knowing people care...

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
OK, here is the story. I finally caught Shield-Arc (Carl) at home today. He is still alive but is not in very good physical shape. Also his wife recently had a series of 19 strokes which have left her an invalid and he is caring for her the best, with help, he is able. His old pile driving accident has come home to roost badly. He cannot raise his arms above his midsection and fingers cannot manipulate the keyboard any more. he has to give up on both forums. His shop time is now almost nil except he is teaching his grandson to weld. He sends his best wishes to all and keep him in your hearts and prayers.

Overall he does not look good. He has lost a lot weight and walks haltingly. God bless and keep him. He is 10 years younger than me so at 85 I may not be far behind him. My old pipefitter days are coming home to roost with a vengeance with spinal problems, if my cardiologist allows, I am facing two back surgeries.

Ron

Thanks for the update and prayers for you as well as SA.

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
Aww, man I'm sorry to hear that. Carl is a good egg and it really stinks to hear he and his wife are having so many health problems. I guess time catches up with us all, but that sounds really rough to deal with.

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Thanks for checking in on him and updating us. I wonder if there is some way to put together a group Christmas card or something. Or maybe a bunch of folks send him separate cards if you are able to provide his address privately.

I am sure there is technology that would let him keep up with forums without needing to type or lift his arms, but he'll probably need an IT helper on that end to spearhead it. He may not have the time or interest though, with everything that he's dealing with.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Thanks for the update, I am so sorry to hear about Carl and his wife's health problems. I kinda figured it was going to be something like that. I will keep them in my prayers.

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
This is what I was afraid of. You can't keep a good man down, but his health can. In my prayers.
hugs, Brandi

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
Thank You for letting him know he's been missed. Never hurts to hear that.

Furu

Platinum Member
Tractor
Carl is a fantastic individual and he has given more of himself to help up and coming young (and in my case not so young) welders. His knowledge base is one that most men could only wish for and he has made his mark on so much of the west coast from Los Angeles to Alaska. If it was built in the 80 or 90's out here he was probably involved. To say that I consider my time with him to have been invaluable to improving my welding skills would be an understatement of enormous proportion. I just wish that I has been able to get back over to have him help me with my TIG aluminum welding.

To any who show disrespect in your posts, and you know who you are, you are just flat out scum.

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420

Ron

Thank you for the report. I wonder if he knows how many he has helped over the years???

Prayers for you, Carl and his wife.

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
****. That does suck to hear. It seems like yesterday we got to see Shield's distaste for 115 volt welders and his head butting with the Sodo guy.
What a few years does to the situation.
To echo S219, I wonder if someone I.T. savvy could help him out with one of those voice thingys that write what you speak. If we send him something like that, maybe his grandson could hook it up for him. Maybe he'd still like to be involved with the forum if so? Get his mind off of things and something to do if it'd be his desire. He's got quite the cross to bear.
I'd contribute to that if Shield would welcome such.

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
****. That does suck to hear. It seems like yesterday we got to see Shield's distaste for 115 volt welders and his head butting with the Sodo guy.
What a few years does to the situation.
To echo S219, I wonder if someone I.T. savvy could help him out with one of those voice thingys that write what you speak. If we send him something like that, maybe his grandson could hook it up for him. Maybe he'd still like to be involved with the forum if so? Get his mind off of things and something to do if it'd be his desire. He's got quite the cross to bear.
I'd contribute to that if Shield would welcome such.

Not a bad idea, it is just a voice recognition software package. Install and learning to use is the trick. I know he won't take anything w/0 paying himself as he is financially comfortable. Made good investments with his generous accident proceeds. I will try to get over there and ask soon. He was kind of busy last time as he had techs there installing a new heat pump system.

Ron

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Not a bad idea, it is just a voice recognition software package. Install and learning to use is the trick. I know he won't take anything w/0 paying himself as he is financially comfortable. Made good investments with his generous accident proceeds. I will try to get over there and ask soon. He was kind of busy last time as he had techs there installing a new heat pump system.

Ron

Ron, let me know if I can help as well. PM me and maybe we can meet up.

Mark @ Everlast

Advertiser
I'm thankful for the report. A good deed done checking up on him. I have a few people I need to go see, but Covid is getting in the way.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Ron
Pretty much any modern tablet (or something like a Chromebook) should be able to do that right out of the box.

Those will also generally be compatible with a Bluetooth mouse or (possibly easier if he's having hand issues) a trackball.
With a trackball he could get the cursor to where he wants and then click on the link to open it.
The ball that you move to move the cursor is physically separate from the buttons that you click, therefore any unsteadiness of hand is not a problem (Grandpa used a trackball as his arthritis got worse and a track pad on a keyboard wasn't as feasible to use).
I really like the Kensington 4 button models with the large trackball, they work great.

Aaron Z

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
I understand the physical constraints, but keep in mind perhaps mentally he may not be interested in participating.

This is an aspect Ron might be more aware of.

Last edited:

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Hey, these zoom and teams meetings allow me to work at home 4 or 5 days a week. Company said today to not come into the office. Not complaining.

But if you’re effectively doing your job from home how long will it be before someone in China is doing your job for half or less price?

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
But if you’re effectively doing your job from home how long will it be before someone in China is doing your job for half or less price?

Elections have consequences, could now be sooner than later. Close to retirement so I do not have to worry for long. :D

Back to the topic of Shield Arc.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

Ron

Thanks for the update and all the kind words about shied arc.

piercedtiger

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 Massey Ferguson GC2600 DL100

My company just outsourced several major groups to India. What a fuster cluck. They don't respond to emails. They don't have historical knowledge of the org. They don't join (or if they do, they don't participate) in the Zoom/Google/etc calls regarding high priority issues (sometimes over an hour to get a 2 minute answer, and this is for healthcare). One of the guys has 250+ tickets in his queue because, apparently, the outsource company has less people allocated than we had in-house (would make sense to further cut cost). Service from our side dealing with these people/this company is such a pain in the *** now that we expect termination of the contract in less than a year.

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
I resisted reading this thread out of fear that something bad has happened. I'm glad he's still alive but sad that his body is failing him as well as what his wife is going through. I think there's a number of us here who have had jobs that have abused our bodies and fear that what's happening to Carl could be our fate as well as we age. If nothing else if someone reaches out to Carl again let him know there's plenty here who have never met him in person but he and his wife are in our prayers.

lnk

Gold Member
Tractor
Ferguson to-20, Deutz D7007, Yazoo yhr-60, Gravely 5240, Gravely C8 and model L,
I resisted reading this thread out of fear that something bad has happened. I'm glad he's still alive but sad that his body is failing him as well as what his wife is going through. I think there's a number of us here who have had jobs that have abused our bodies and fear that what's happening to Carl could be our fate as well as we age. If nothing else if someone reaches out to Carl again let him know there's plenty here who have never met him in person but he and his wife are in our prayers.

Include me in sending prayers for him and his wife. I don't know the man, but have read many of his posts. He has helped me without his knowing, or perhaps he does know. Thank you ShieldArc for all the information you have provided to so many over the years. May your health as well as your wife's health improve.

lilranch2001

Tractor
Bobcat CT 235
I think most of us enjoyed learning from Shield, I was a very proficient welder as a young man, and he taught me a few things along the way

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
I just saw on Welding Web that Carl has passed away. A friend of his who was also a welder posted about it. He was CEP on WW.
:cry: