What's the future of auto and ag 12V batteries?

/ What's the future of auto and ag 12V batteries? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Seems to me that the lead-acid 12V car battery is giving way to something else. I don't know beans about batteries but there must be something out there that will last far longer and contain much more power. In my ag use now I use AGM batteries whenever possible. What's next?

Here's an ad I just got for a lithium 12V vehicle batteries that caught my eye. Pricey but economics of scale should change that. Dakota Lithium 12v 60Ah Dual Purpose 1000CCA Starter Battery Plus Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Performance

What's next and what will auto and ag batteries look like 10 years?

/ What's the future of auto and ag 12V batteries? #2  
The problem I see with retrofitting is the need for a lithium specific charging system.

I considered one of the motorcycle retrofits until I read some reviews of people's motorcycles getting burnt to the ground.

/ What's the future of auto and ag 12V batteries? #3  
Lithium for sure;;already available for boating.

/ What's the future of auto and ag 12V batteries? #4  
I have a large group 31 Odyssey AGM battery in my tractor. No problem because this battery is compatible with the tractor's electrical system.

Wanted to put a LiOn battery in my BMW motorcycle. No Joy - motorcycle electrical system is not compatible.

Maybe in time .............

/ What's the future of auto and ag 12V batteries? #5  
Lithium for sure;;already available for boating.
Boating as in how? Electric trolling motors where the battery is recharged at home? Makes perfect sense in that application, lithiums are smaller, lighter and have much more capacity. In a car/truck/tractor I don't see a real benefit.
The problem I see with retrofitting is the need for a lithium specific charging system.
Maybe someday, but I really doubt in 10 years. As TractorGuy noted, virtually every vehicle on the road would require its charging system to be retrofitted, likely at considerable cost.