What's your dog's name and how did you name it?

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
What's your dog's name and how did you happen to name it?

Our current dogs are named based on behavior as puppies except for our two rescues that came with their own human like names. Prior to that we named after tractors or relatives. Not everyone was thrilled.

One of my favorite dogs was named "Cubby" after my M8950 Kubota. Gone now, Cubby was memorable because we came up with the name on a road trip to look at the tractor. Frieda (a friend) and Weezie (wheezed at birth) are current favorites but all are special.

Lot's of tractors could inspire dog names. Casey for Case, JD or Johnny for Deere; Dutch, Holly, Edsel (legacy) Rollo or Tyne(Rolobar rake) for New Holland, etc. There's Kee and Coy for Kioti, Yanni for Yanmar, Izzy or Ices for Iseki, etc. Ever name a dog after a tractor?

What's your dog's name? :dog:

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #2  
Current dog's name is "Girlfriend". She is a retired greyhound racer and that was her racing name. Previous dog was named "PTO". Named by my niece, a farm kid.

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #3  
Strider.
Named after the nickname for a folding combat knife.

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #4  
My last dog was named "Musquash"; an indian name for muskrat, which I felt was appropriate for a Lab.

My current lab's name is "Ruger". Not very original but I needed something for the vet (before I even had the dog) and that was the first thing which popped into my head. In hindsight I should have called him Hansel as in "Hansel must be fed; He's too thin" ... because when I took him in he weighed only 63 pounds and you could see every rib, feel every vertebrae in his backbone. (His original name was "Harley"... the owner loaded his bike one day and headed south, leaving his girlfriend with a dog and 4 kids to feed.)

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #5  
We have a mostly white border collie that has black patches here and there whose name is Oreo. Looking at her face it's black, white, black. She was easy to name.

The golden retriever is Sam.

My father-in-law has had a bunch of dogs (low caliper bird dogs) over the years. Most just get named Dog. If he happens to find one that he could hunt over - suddenly it gets a real name.

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #6  
My older dog is named Cassandra (Cassie) after the seeress from Troy.
My previous dog was Sadie named after the main character in 'Rain'. Though she adored people, unlike our character in the story she never misread anyone in her life.

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #8  
D A M N I T was the coolest dog I ever had, he earned that name when he was young, jumping on people with muddy paws, tracking in the house, and just about any bad thing that boy would do, got a ****** outa someone.. pretty soon he began to answer to it, so it stuck for his 16 years...

He was a beer drinker, a jeeper, and fishing dog, a Frisbee dog, and could find a winged grouse in the dead of night... not bad for a house dog... he remains the standard by which all other dogs are judged.

Little kids loved to watch him soar catching Frisbee's, and when they found out his name was ******, they all ran to tell their mom...LOL

here are a couple shots of him...many years ago.
162990_1370688846092_5042903_n.jpg

67619_1305709421647_4574713_n.jpg

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #9  
D A M N I T was the coolest dog I ever had, he earned that name when he was young, jumping on people with muddy paws, tracking in the house, and just about any bad thing that boy would do, got a ****** outa someone.. pretty soon he began to answer to it, so it stuck for his 16 years...

He was a beer drinker, a jeeper, and fishing dog, a Frisbee dog, and could find a winged grouse in the dead of night... not bad for a house dog... he remains the standard by which all other dogs are judged.

Little kids loved to watch him soar catching Frisbee's, and when they found out his name was ******, they all ran to tell their mom...LOL

here are a couple shots of him...many years ago.
[Snip Photos]

OK, now share the story of the fawn. ;)

/ What's your dog's name and how did you name it? #10  
My bloodhound is named Phancy cause she lives on the pharm with the rest of the Phifers, along with Phred the Basset Hound..