Wheel Bearing Failure

/ Wheel Bearing Failure #1  

Underdog57

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
I have a 2013 LS R4041H that has been trouble free and I am very satisfied with it's performance so far. I have worked it pretty hard digging stumps, breaking concrete, hauling logs, etc.

On April 16 with 602 hours on the tractor, the left front wheel bearing disintegrated and damaged several parts in the final drive assembly. I unbolted the whole final drive assembly and took it to my dealer the next day (Saturday). My dealer tore it apart on Monday (April 19) and ordered parts.
The parts finally came in yesterday (June 15) and my dealer promptly put it together and told me I could come and get it. Put it together today and everything is good so far. The parts and labor came to a little over $500. which I was okay with, but the almost 2 month wait for the parts was really painful because almost every chore on my property requires the tractor, ( I only have 1).
Sorry I didn't take many pics, things were very hectic when it happened and I was in a rush to get it put together today. I did take a couple of the axle though.

Attachments

• 2021-06-14_12-26-34_291.jpg
    2021-06-14_12-26-34_291.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
  • 2021-06-14_12-25-53_456.jpg
    2021-06-14_12-25-53_456.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 264
  • 2021-06-14_12-25-43_295.jpg
    2021-06-14_12-25-43_295.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258
   / Wheel Bearing Failure #2  
If you haven't already, I'd be doing the right front lickety split.

Since it was out of warranty anyways, did you try to look for compatible parts ... New Holland maybe?

/ Wheel Bearing Failure #3  
If your using corner of your buck digging stumps etc. out and rear tire almost off the ground that's lot of stress on the bearing.

/ Wheel Bearing Failure
If you haven't already, I'd be doing the right front lickety split.

Since it was out of warranty anyways, did you try to look for compatible parts ... New Holland maybe?
I didn't check anywhere else for parts because I took the whole assembly to my dealer for them to repair.
I will be keeping a close eye on the other side for sure!

/ Wheel Bearing Failure
If your using corner of your buck digging stumps etc. out and rear tire almost off the ground that's lot of stress on the bearing.
I don't do that!

/ Wheel Bearing Failure #6  
Parts and labor just over 500 bucks, that's real good

Just did the bevel and drive gear on my jd 790 front axle both sides. just those four gears and two gaskets was close to 900 bucks.... No labor, I did all the work.

$396 some change per side, Deere holding up there reputation.....

/ Wheel Bearing Failure #7  
I'm in the process of a front axle repair. The total parts is pushing $2k.

Heck! A replacement tie rod end cost $400. You did good to get a corner fixed for $500. ;-)

/ Wheel Bearing Failure #8  
maybe start looking for a tractor with a heavier duty front axle?

/ Wheel Bearing Failure #9  
maybe start looking for a tractor with a heavier duty front axle?
The issue is, most all of the smaller units use caged ball bearings in the outboards instead of roller bearings. Rollers distribute the loads much better than ball bearings.

/ Wheel Bearing Failure #10  
you can change the ball bearings vender just do
some research. I would op for timken bearings

On a dodge pickup the front wheel bearings are
over $125 each and you just need to pull the
bearing out and replace it and reinstall

willy

Last edited: