wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
I have a wish list of items o be added to my GC1715. I've had Rear Wheel Spacers on my list about 2 years. Now my thought is that wheel spacers are a bigger issue (more significant) for a SCUT owner than is true for a compact tractor owner because 1.75 inches of spacing for a SCUT wheel stance on each wheel is quite a bit of footprint improvement.

And 2 years ago - Bro Tek was going to be my choice - but I find two years later that there are now more vendor choices available. So I'm looking for opinions on a couple topics related to Wheel Spacers:

1. I've always planned on getting Rear Spacers to be used with my loaded rears because I have considerable sidehill and slope angles. My thought on rear spacers only was based on cost - as well as I figured on a SCUT you get the most benefit for your money on the rears. But recently I've discovered with more vendor choices - that my budget might support the idea of adding front wheel spacers as a consideration. (1.75 on the rears and 1.25 on the fronts).

A. Is there any disadvantages or problems by adding wheel spacers on the front wheels of a SCUT ?

B. Is there enough improvement in adding spacers to the fronts to justify the addition (in other words - do spacers on the front benefit proportionally to having them on the rear) ?

2. Obviously the quality of workmanship and strength of materials is important in choosing spacers due to stress levels they deal with. in SCUT sizes - it appears polished billet Aluminum. Bolts of particular grade and hub fits seem often mentioned; but is there a minimum desirability standard to require ?

3. I assume wheel spacers not only benefit SCUT use on hills and sidehills - but also offer a better footprint on icy or snow covered conditions or when having the FEL elevated for balance. . . or on ground that might be a bit "soft" or prone to chuck holes or unexpected dips. Are there any reasons (other than clearance between trees or gardens) why spacers on a SCUT would be a negative to longevity or operation ?

I look forward to hearing other opinions and viewpoints - agree and disagree.

AxleHub

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #2  
I have a 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor. It is four wheel drive. I have had numerous issue out of the front end. I maybe wrong, but I think adding spacers to the front wheels would create added stress to the front axle. Spacers to the front wheels coupled with a front loader could be a recipe for trouble especially if you use the loader a lot. Ways to increase stability can include spacers on the reat wheels, fluid in the rear tires, and dual on the rear. These are just my thoughts. You might touch base with your local dealer and get their thoughts. Personally I would not try it on the front end.

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #3  
I probably wouldn't put them on front steered wheels -- adds more stress to all the components of the front drive/bearings/hub. On the rear, spacers act like extensions of an already long and well-supported solid axle, but front axles/hubs on 4WD tractors are much different. We already tend to abuse front axles on tractors with loaders, so why make it worse!

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #4  
Spacers on the rear are for stability BUT spacers on the front are only to run the front wheels in the same track as the rear wheels (row crop), and yes they do add to front axle stress. If you need more stability then load the tyres if not already done and for the best stability go duals. Loaded inside and air outside with quick release.

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #5  
Are duels even possible for our little scuts?

I have been putting off wheel spacers for much too long myself but after some research I've decided too do rears only. Very little benefit and lots of cons in front wheel spacers for my application.

Last edited:
   / wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #6  
AxleHub -- you were in a thread last month on the pros and cons of using wheels spacers for someone's GC1720. I said about all I had to say on the topic there. As you may recall I use 6" BORA brand spacers on a B2150 and am very happy with them. You know about the conflicts with belly mowers depending on dimensions and spreads. For my 2 cents I don't think 1.25" spacing in front will help anything & very unlikely to be worth the money. Any added spacing you can get in rear is valuable if working on steep slopes.

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts
Are duels even possible for our little scuts?

I have been putting off wheel spacers for much too long myself but after some research I've decided too do rears only. Very little benefit and lots of cons in front wheel spacers for my application.

This has been my pattern too. Spacers for the rears seems pretty standard thinking by many. . . Including SCUT use. But over time. . . Relating to front wheel spacers . . the vendors all make them but while I've read opinions against fronts (from non users) because of pivot issues. I haven't read opinions from those who use them. I guess the confusion for me about front spacers is why is the front axle considered so much weaker than the rear? It seems pretty standard opinion that loading front tires isn't justified on SCUT sized tractors because the tires aren't large enough to make a difference.

And that same direction is that a rear axle is solid while a front axle pivots. . So widening the pivot makes more potential strain.

But I got thinking about the strain created by a fel loaded forkset filled with weight and raised 4 feet off the ground and doesn't widening that axle stance also better support the strain on the fel too ?

I guess I've never read opinions on front spacers from those who actually have them on their scuts. . . . yet every supplier of spacers sells them. That seems like a strange combination.

The other confusion for me is some spacers are made with what appears to be a solid piece of aluminum with a hole machined out where the hub support ring sits. . . and then holes drilled for the bolts. But then other vendors show their products as a more 'cage-like" appearance that is still the correct sizing but looks more cast or more "fabricated".

Now having been trained as a machinist in my younger days . . . I would think a solid block of metal would be preferred over a "fabricated cage" . . . and yet both of these are the same sized spacer (not talking about 2 inch versus 6 inch spacers). Doesn't it seem they would make spacers from a solid block of alloyed steel rather than aluminum in these smaller sizes ???

Obviously spacers for me are not about wheels tracking in the same width. No concerns about row cropping with a SCUT lol. For me the purposes of front and wheel spacers is a better footprint. . . . especially for sidehill and slopes.

Steve you've always seemed pretty logical on your approach. What moved you to not spacing the fronts?

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #8  
Like you, I don't have enough first hand knowledge to say the front axle is too weak too use spacers on and realize that many who advise against it on the internet are just parroting what they themselves have heard.

That being said, I can say for a fact that I have seen and heard of way more problems involving the steer axle on tractors, and trucks for that matter, than solid axle problems so I assume there likely correct, generally speaking.

But, the biggest reason I decided against front spacers is because after almost 300 hours of traversing hillside on my little GC there has been times when I came close to flipping. Every time though, I felt like more weight or a wider stance in the REAR of the tractor would have helped much more than spacers in the front.

BTW, I've never felt close to flipping my GC on a steep side hill. It's been doing loader work on a slight grade that has caught me off guard;)

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #9  
This thread is like deja vu...same topic, same responses...

/ wheel spacers for Massey sub compacts #10  
But I got thinking about the strain created by a fel loaded forkset filled with weight and raised 4 feet off the ground and doesn't widening that axle stance also better support the strain on the fel too ?

Won't make a bit of difference there. Still have two tires (of same size) carrying the load regardless of how they are spaced. What will increase is the lever arm between the load center and tire, which improves your stability. However, the flip side to that is higher bending moment loads where the front axles mount.