When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters?

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
Before planting last Spring, I added fresh topsoil in our raised planters. No other prep. This was year 2 of having a home garden. My wife grew tomatoes, squash, green beans, and ... more. But this year, the planters are full and I don't have the option of mixing in additional fresh soil.

How should I revitalize the soil nutrients in the planters before next Spring? And when do you typically do it?

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters? #2  
I'm convinced that cover crops are the best soil rejuvinator. There are several types, read up on any of the internet articles. plant now, it's all in the roots!

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters? #3  
My wife the gardener swears by cover crops. Legumes especially as they put nitrogen into the soil.

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters? #4  
fertilizer. Use your favorite. We keep ours natural as we get it from our animals. Is your soil good? What does water do in it?

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters?
My wife the gardener swears by cover crops.
I did a quick search re: "cover crops," but mostly found articles about use in open areas to limit soil damage from runoff. My application are 4x8 foot raised planters.

It was 21F here this morning. Not sure if a cover crop would grow well over winter?

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters? #6  
We have raised beds. The cover crop works there too. You have to turn it under by hand but that's not hard.

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters?
Is your soil good? What does water do in it?
I originally used commercial "triple mix" soil from a local nursery here in NV. It seems to be OK, but in the last batch I also got some unwanted invasive plants sprouting up. My natural topsoil in CA is much better and richer. So I've been importing that, here and there, via trailer load.

I've used drip emitters for watering. The water pools a bit when being applied, but seems to drain appropriately. I get lots of weed growth at the bottom edge of the raised planters so I know the water is penetrating all the way down. It penetrated really well in the hole that a vole dug ... :D

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters? #9  
Before planting last Spring, I added fresh topsoil in our raised planters. No other prep. This was year 2 of having a home garden. My wife grew tomatoes, squash, green beans, and ... more. But this year, the planters are full and I don't have the option of mixing in additional fresh soil.

How should I revitalize the soil nutrients in the planters before next Spring? And when do you typically do it?
I use fish emulsion mixed in the water to water them. Gotta water them every day. Just a dollup of fish emulsion each time.

I occasionally pee into the container in place of fish emulsion. It's a great fertilizer. Needs lots of dilution though: 18% nitrogen.

/ When / how to rejuvenate soil in raised planters? #10  
I'm convinced that cover crops are the best soil rejuvinator. There are several types, read up on any of the internet articles. plant now, it's all in the roots!
Probably a little late now for anyone in a northern state. Ground's been frozen here for the last couple weeks, and as of yesterday it's covered with snow. Sept. after everything's harvested would be a better time.

As for the OP's question, how much square footage are we talking about? If it's only a couple of raised beds, just pick up a few bags of composted manure at your favorite home center. Much debate as to the best time of year, but I'd go with fall if you're growing root crops, spring otherwise.