Where do you stand ?

/ Where do you stand ? #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
A recent experience !..Just out of interest wanted others opinions......Walked onto a dealers lot and bought a used machine (sold as seen) way too cheap to be true but in expected rough shape, shook hands and wrote a cheque .
Not even back home yet and got a call on the cell from the salesman saying we're tearing your cheque up as it was sold previously that day by another salesman ?.
Not that i took it any further but they accepted my cheque ?
And before any one asks..yes it was a good cheque lol. A blesssing in disguise as it turns out as i ended up buying a red one instead of a green one . Just wondered where i stood legally ?

Last edited:
   / Where do you stand ?
Unless you've got the tractor on your trailer and a contract in hand, what canya do?:confused3:

As it was we were talking about a combine so quite a bit of cash involved !

/ Where do you stand ? #4  
Did you get a receipt or bill of sale? I would assume if I was buying a combine that was either going to be delivered or I was coming back later to get and I wrote them a check for it, I would get a receipt/bill of sale.

I have not idea if them having your check and you having a receipt comprises a contract as such, but I would think it is pretty close.

And, of course, it would make a difference to me if it was an honest mistake (i.e. it actually was already sold) vs. they accidentally sold it too cheap and just don't want to sell it.

Good luck and take care.

/ Where do you stand ? #5  
I believe I would request proof that the machine had in fact had been sold prior to your transaction and then go from there as you would know if it was an honest mistake or ruse to evade a legal contract for sale.

/ Where do you stand ? #6  
I'm with TripleR on this one, not because I would feel the need to be upset either way, or to take legal action, but just to know for future reference about that dealer if nothing else.

/ Where do you stand ? #7  
Just sounds like an honest mistake to me. I can't think of any reason to make a big deal about it.

/ Where do you stand ? #8  
Contact I do believe you have little ground,also believe dealer should of in someway made it right..filter,hat,etc.cup of coffee for there mistake.

/ Where do you stand ? #9  
Just sounds like an honest mistake to me. I can't think of any reason to make a big deal about it.

the $$$$ involved would be reason enough for a dealer

/ Where do you stand ? #10  
I always stand on my own two feet.

I think you did the honorable thing. Sometimes when we choose to question the integrity of others, the question is really about our own intergrity.

Carry on.

Big Al