Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #11  
You Shure can buy a hell of a lot of tools with the money you save yourself from taking it to a dealer or a hydraulic shop. And the next time something breaks you have the tools already. 🍻

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches
While waiting to get the new hoses installed

Pics of the last stump the 550 dug out and a deck we were trying to save from a tear down but it was to wide to move with the Rhino's FEL

The backhoe was able to load it on a trailer for a short transport though..

When the hydraulic oil isn't puking on the ground it has pretty good lifting power- Just like the well used JD x 500 riding mower this Ford is really growing on me.

Attachments

• PXL_20220917_203423779.jpg
    PXL_20220917_203423779.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220928_195221562.jpg
    PXL_20220928_195221562.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20220916_223805097.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220916_223805097.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 68
   / Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #13  
   / Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #14  
A man can never have too many tools, someday they will be used by you or your neighbor.

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #15  
I've split many Ford backhoes. Never heard of those wrenches. Never a problem with what I had.

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #16  
Another dig it quick job had to be done and I have not fixed everything that probably needs it on my new to me Ford 550 backhoe.
Got about 3 hours of digging done today, when the main boom cylinder hose let loose.
I hot footed the tractor home

I just got the backhoe maintenance manuals and they mention slim wrenches to R+R hydraulic lines.
So far not really finding a set designed for close spaced hydraulic lines.

Maybe just have to purchase a Jumbo set and grind off what it takes to fit in the valve body area.??

Anyone have some insights?
Just remember if you grind a wrench to fit keep it cool and don't let it get hot, the same as when you are sharping drill bits

Just remember if you grind a wrench to fit keep it cool and don't let it get hot, the same as when you are sharping drill bits
Yep, don't want to overheat it
I Always have a container of water close by, Plus cuts down on burning the fingers when grinding mild steel.

I've split many Ford backhoes. Never heard of those wrenches. Never a problem with what I had.
IIRC the Ford 550-555 manual has a quote in it about slim wrenches "modified" for working around the backhoe main valve body.
Maybe the manuals were printed before these slim wrenches became widely available?

Don't know but I found/ am finding them helpful when working inside the backhoe box that contains the mono block valve body.

Looks like one of the changes that took place when they changed to the various backhoes were different backhoe valve body's.
Watched a 555 TLB vid that the hose orientation and routing through swing post is very different than my 550 Mine are vertically oriented while the video has them exiting the valve body horizontally and the backhoe box also has a removable plate that allows access from above on the newer model.

Oh well as long as I can get these hoses hooked up I will be happy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Help guys. I do appreciate it.

TBN is a GREAT forum and has helped me many times over the years including today.

Backhoe is back together, only problem encountered is the hose maker made one hose a bit long or the leaker was also to long, but it will/does work.

The old hose's leak must have been introducing air into the system and apparently was the cause of my somewhat noisy hydraulic pump.

I always thought that the introduction of air or a restriction was needed on the "intake" side of the hydraulic system to cause pump whine, but since this Ford layout feeds the backhoe circuits first and at a higher relief pressure, then from the Power beyond output to the FEL Valves and finally back into the hydraulic reservoir tank.

Anyway very nice to have no pump noise.