Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790.

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790. #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
Anyone know where I can find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790, as the dealer wants $1200 per each, and there are 4. I tried rebuilding them with the kit, but it has dents and scratches on the tubes, so they just break the seals and leak.

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790. #2  
you don’t have a hydraulic shop that can resurface the rods?

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790.
you don’t have a hydraulic shop that can resurface the rods?
Well the shop said that not much they could do if they are bent and gouged with various large scratches which are the reason they ruined the seals and leaked.

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790. #4  
Find another hydraulic shop.

When I used to be a heavy equipment tech, the hydraulic shop we used repaired some pretty gnarly rods. They were even able to remove dents from barrels. One time, they built an entire hydraulic cylinder from scratch. That one was a little pricey, but in every case, they were cheaper than complete OEM cylinders.

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790. #5  
A good shop will make new rods if the old ones are too bad to fix.

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790. #6  
A quick google search showed baileyhydraulics.com and I’m guessing if you give them the required dimensions they probably have suitable cylinders for a fraction of the price the dealer quoted.

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790. #7  
Anyone know where I can find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790, as the dealer wants $1200 per each, and there are 4. I tried rebuilding them with the kit, but it has dents and scratches on the tubes, so they just break the seals and leak.

I see variations on this question a lot. I'm an older guy and somehow my entire generation is guilty of not passing on very simple mechanical knowledge. We do these things to save money and time, but somehow we just got so busy toing so that we didn't pass on the perspective of how to fix things simply.
Some of it you already know, I'm sure. But hang in there....

First Of All...
There is nothing special about dealer hydraulic cylinders that you or a well-equipped hydraulic shop cannot duplicate for a lot less. Most rural farming communities big enough to have a couple of tractor dealers will also have an independent hydraulic repair shop. Look around or ask. It has to be there. They don't tend to advertise. But it is oftne in the same general area as the tractor dealers and heavy equipment shops. It's who they use....

Our local hydraulic shop is a steel building without an office - just a desk, five guys, and a bunch of equipment. It does cylinder welding and machining. They will replace ends or connections on cylinders, and make custom rods - and cylinders - as necessary or to measure. I've taken pencil sketches into them and came back a week later to pick up a set of newly made hydraulic cylinders. Their daily bread and butter is rebuilding leaky cylinders using much less expensive universal seals and parts.... and all for way less than a dealer cylinder or repair kit.

Or Even Easier:
If you would rather have new cylinders and don't want to search out the local hydraulic shop, hydraulic cylinders are a standard industrial part - just like nuts and bolts, dimensioned lumber, or angle iron is standard.
Rather than reinvent the wheel, most hydraulic machinery - like front end loaders , controls, valves, and hoses - is designed by using standard industrial hydraulic cylinders and valves and parts and there is no reason why you can't do the same. Most sales outlets have a technical dept. and you can even order everything online.

For a rough idea of what standard prices look like and how to order try this just for fun: measure yours and see if you can find a replacement on:
Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

If you have questions, just ask.

Good luck,
rScotty

/ Where to find hydraulic cylinders for my John Deere 70 loader on my 790. #8  
I see variations on this question a lot. I'm an older guy and somehow my entire generation is guilty of not passing on very simple mechanical knowledge. We do these things to save money and time, but somehow we just got so busy toing so that we didn't pass on the perspective of how to fix things simply.
Some of it you already know, I'm sure. But hang in there....

First Of All...
There is nothing special about dealer hydraulic cylinders that you or a well-equipped hydraulic shop cannot duplicate for a lot less. Most rural farming communities big enough to have a couple of tractor dealers will also have an independent hydraulic repair shop. Look around or ask. It has to be there. They don't tend to advertise. But it is oftne in the same general area as the tractor dealers and heavy equipment shops. It's who they use....

Our local hydraulic shop is a steel building without an office - just a desk, five guys, and a bunch of equipment. It does cylinder welding and machining. They will replace ends or connections on cylinders, and make custom rods - and cylinders - as necessary or to measure. I've taken pencil sketches into them and came back a week later to pick up a set of newly made hydraulic cylinders. Their daily bread and butter is rebuilding leaky cylinders using much less expensive universal seals and parts.... and all for way less than a dealer cylinder or repair kit.

Or Even Easier:
If you would rather have new cylinders and don't want to search out the local hydraulic shop, hydraulic cylinders are a standard industrial part - just like nuts and bolts, dimensioned lumber, or angle iron is standard.
Rather than reinvent the wheel, most hydraulic machinery - like front end loaders , controls, valves, and hoses - is designed by using standard industrial hydraulic cylinders and valves and parts and there is no reason why you can't do the same. Most sales outlets have a technical dept. and you can even order everything online.

For a rough idea of what standard prices look like and how to order try this just for fun: measure yours and see if you can find a replacement on:
Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

If you have questions, just ask.

Good luck,
rScotty
The hydraulic shop said the rods are not being carried for that size, they are look. And here is the kicker on new cylinders. I tried to order replacements, but they want the numbers off the original. And I have cleaned them, and checked every inch, and maybe I am going blind, or they are not stock, but it has nothing stamped or showing.