Buying Advice Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get?

/ Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys,

I hope your Thanksgiving week is going well.

My 425 is still going strong, and I need another attachment.

I have need of moving some equipment around my property. The equipment is equipped with a ball hitch. Normally, I hook it up to my truck, but there are a lot of places on my property I'd like to move the equipment that only the tractor would be able to go.

Therefore, I need to buy a hitch adapter for the 425.

Of course, PowerTrac has one for around $300, plus around $50-75 for shipping.

There is a place called bucketsolutions dot com that also sells one for $139, which includes shipping.

The bucketsolutions item clamps to the bottom edge of your bucket as seen in the photo. I have the small rock bucket, and it would probably be clamped to that most of the time.

Normally, I'd just order something from PT, but at nearly 1/3 the price, the bucketsolutions item is pretty tempting.

I assume that the PT item would be stronger, as it is welded to the Quick Attach plate directly.

It would probably also be easier to see what you're doing as the bucket is not in the way.

The bucket-clamp one probably not as strong, but the equipment I'm moving is not that heavy (probably 2000 lbs max).

What do you guys think?

Sincerely,

Rob :)

Attachments

• PT-towing-adapter.jpg
    PT-towing-adapter.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Bucket-towing-adapter.jpg
    Bucket-towing-adapter.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Bucket-towing-adapter2.jpg
    Bucket-towing-adapter2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Bucket-towing-adapter3.jpg
    Bucket-towing-adapter3.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 175
  • Bucket-towing-adapter4.jpg
    Bucket-towing-adapter4.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 165
   / Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #2  
The Bucket solution seems like a good idea and what you decide to do has no wrong answer. There are just many ways to accomplish what you are wanting. I myself have 2 quick plates with rec hitches welded on them, also a rec welded on the plate between the lift cylinders, and a ball on the back of the PT. That is one extreme. A simple way to go for you might be just to mount one on your brush cutter (weld a rec on or drill and bolt a ball). I have at times place the ball hitch of a trailer on top of one of the wheel posts of the mower or brush cutter and moved it that way. Rather that un hook the cutter
Drill a セ hole in your bucket and mount a ball on it is another option. Of course there are many other options. Given some thought you will come up with the best way for you and later you will most likely have more than one way to move your ball hitch equipment.

/ Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #3  
Just cut a hole in the end of one of your forks, and install a 2 in ball.

/ Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #4  
I use my two inch receiver attachment for many things:
1. Fire lifter (small forks that help stir a fire at a distance).
2. boom pole (multiple lengths)
3. 2 inch ball of course.
4. shovel
5. modified PT winch to fit 2 inch receiver
6. Plow
7. Ground slitter

I believe that this helps justify a PT version or like at PT version. That being said, I made my own. Actually Clint Blake had suggested this to PT and they came out with it sometime later.

Attachments

• triple plow on  2 inch receiver 003.JPG
    triple plow on 2 inch receiver 003.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 2 inch receiver 004 small.JPG
    2 inch receiver 004 small.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 2 inch receiver 003 small.JPG
    2 inch receiver 003 small.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 392
  • fire loader 002.JPG
    fire loader 002.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 184
   / Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #5  
I haven't read the previous posts, but here's my advice:

Pick one or make one. Choose something that places the hitch ball close to the attachment plate. Don't get something that attaches to an attachment.

In your place, I'd buy a quick attach plate from PT, and a 2" trailer hitch receiver from TSC or Northern Tool or Horrible Fright and get them welded together.

From there, the possibilities are limitless.

/ Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #6  
I agree with Gravy. I put one of those clamp on recievers on my bucket and because it was too far out front I could not lift my trailer's tongue. If I put the tongue directly in the bucket I could lift it, but of course could not move it as it would not stay.:mad:

/ Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #7  
Here is simple and quick. On the back a ball with a 3/4 bolt or stud just bolts right on. No drilling. Just install.

Bob I like your concept of making use of the REC hitch for so many things. I once wasted a quick plate just to make a chain link fence puller. After seeing what you did I rethought and decided that your concept would save a quick plate. I will use it somewhere else now.

Attachments

• ball.jpg
    ball.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
   / Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get?
Here is simple and quick. On the back a ball with a 3/4 bolt or stud just bolts right on. No drilling. Just install.

Bob I like your concept of making use of the REC hitch for so many things. I once wasted a quick plate just to make a chain link fence puller. After seeing what you did I rethought and decided that your concept would save a quick plate. I will use it somewhere else now.

Hey, that's something I can do tomorrow. That is quick and costs no cash. I will probably give this a try for now, and then I'd really like to learn to weld and use a plasma cutter.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses. I love Bob's ideas. Very creative and useful.

I do like a number of the suggestions.

You guys are the best.

-Rob :)

/ Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get? #9  
Here is what I use.

Attachments

• tow adapter.jpg
    tow adapter.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 321
   / Which hitch receiver adaptor would you get?
Here is what I use.

Hi J_J,

That looks cool... but I can't quite figure out what you did. It looks like you built some kind of platform for a single pallet fork and then drilled a hole in the fork and installed a ball?

Thanks,

Rob :)