Which trailer brand has best paint finish?

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #1  

AaronD81

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
Looking for a 10k lb car hauler with wood deck that will be stored outside. I’ve seen lightly used trailers with way more rust than I’d expect. Brands that Seem well built, are within budget and have features I want include Sure-Trac, Diamond C (20% more than others), Lamar. Won’t be used hard so weathering will be an issue because I’m not going to wear it out with use. Aluminum is at least 50% more, will it last enough longer than steel to consider it?

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #2  
I dont think trailer paint jobs are up to the standards they should be, but then again to make them last, they'd cost more and trailer prices already insane.
Also if you can get your trailer under roof and avoid using in winter on salted roads., it’ll help.
Not a big fan of powder coated trailers-prefer good primer & finish coating process.
Diamond C makes a high quality trailer, but I don’t know if they're paint process is any better.

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #3  
No way I can tell you which one of those has the best paint job. To many variables and lack of knowledge on my part of the various manufactures processes. One think I have learned is that the powder coat paints are a great product, IF they are applied correctly. Problem is that it seems its quite common that they are not applied correctly.

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #4  
if you arnt in a hurry order your trailer. give them a gallon of the paint you would want on your trailer. or if they are too far away...request they use it

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #5  
Whatever you do, don't get a powder coated trailer. Mine looked like a million bucks when new but one rock chip creates a mess that's very hard to fix.

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #6  
if you arnt in a hurry order your trailer. give them a gallon of the paint you would want on your trailer. or if they are too far away...request they use it

That is not going to happen unless the manufacturer is a mom and pop. Any of the big outfits have paint/powder coat booths....

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish?
So CAM Superline uses "expoy primer polyurethane pain finish" on a car trailer that has features I want that is similarly priced to the Sure Trac. Seems like a pretty big brand that I've seen around, but no experience. Any opinions on CAM?

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish?
So this is way more complicated than I expected. CAM is out, spoke to a very helpful factory rep that said car hauler shouldn't be used for equipment like mini ex or skid loader because weight would be too concentrated even if under limit. Buying a trailer that won't break is more important than finish. Lamar seems to make the strongest car hauler with C channel cross members, which can be optioned at 16" centers.

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #9  
Lamar is a quality trailer. 16" centered crossmembers are standard with 12" as an option. Some of the economy trailers go as wide as 24". Just so you can see some paint as it ages some, here are some pictures. The Lamar was built in 2-18, the Load Max (same as Load Trail) 5-16. Both powder coat.

1101221548.jpg
1101221549.jpg

/ Which trailer brand has best paint finish? #10  
I went to look at 5 or 6 different brands before I made my decision. I bought a Lamar. 3 years, it has held up very well, with the exception of just the edges of the diamond plate fenders, and edges of the battery/storage box. The powder coating there is probably too thin to hold up long term, but as it turns out, Rustoleum dark gray (quart can is what I bought) is just about a perfect match for the Lamar gray powder coat.

I would rather had an outstanding design, including no stitch welds, and high quality workmanship, than a shiny paint job on a trailer that is not as strong structurally or has poor workmanship, like the PJ Trailers I looked at. I think my 13 y/o grandson could do better welding than some of those PJ's. I'll just go ahead and sand and paint Rustoleum gray on the edges of the sheet metal where it's starting to show.