which way to mount R-4 tires

/ which way to mount R-4 tires #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
Actually, they're already mounted, but I want to reverse the way they are fitted to the inner disc, putting the valve stem on the outside, making it accessible, and increasing the width slightly. These are filled R-4's, on a Kubota L3130. At present, you can't measure the pressure with the valve stems at the top, which is how it should be done, since they are filled, and I like the extra stability that would result with the width. Protecting the stems from brush, etc., isn't an issue. My question is, do I have to rotate the left and right wheel/tire when I do this, to keep the direction of the tread's "chevron" going the same way, or can I take the easy path (they probably weigh 600 lbs each) and just remove each side and flip it around on the center disc, which has to come off as well. This is all kosher, according the the manual, but I think the tread pattern makes a difference? I did a quick search here, but didn't find any explanations, but I imagine this is not a new topic?

Thanks

/ which way to mount R-4 tires #2  
There are directional and non directional R4 tires. Directional will have an arrow on the sidewall indicating direction of forward rotation. If yours have these they can be swapped side to side as long as the direction arrow shows fwd. rotation.
Non directional can turn either direction.
Attached is a directional tire

Attachments

• DSCN1401 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1401 (Medium).JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
   / which way to mount R-4 tires #3  
You have to take both off and swap their sides. Left will go on the right and vice versa.

/ which way to mount R-4 tires
I pretty much figured that, but because of the weight of the filled tires, jockeying them around from side to side is going to be a lot more difficult than just pulling off one side, holding the thing up with an engine hoist while I swap the inner disc position and pivot the whole thing around. This will be a small adventure. I will need help, I guess. Like certain congressmen, I like a wide stance, so it will be worth it.

/ which way to mount R-4 tires #5  
I can give you some direct experience. Have at least two, preferably three, guys helping with the tire swaps. I attempted this "magic act" without help and when the tire flopped over onto my leg - I was sure it was broken. Not broken - badly bruised with abrasions & cuts. Believe me, when a loaded tire starts to lean - it will go fast. A whole lot faster than I could move - that's for sure.

That's why I plan to use a heavy duty engine hoist with nylon straps to "hold" the wheels vertical. And I guess we'll have to do one, lean it against a building, chocked so it can't roll, and do the other one. Not gonna be fun. Maybe two engine hoists? I may post photos, so others can be glad they aren't doing it?

/ which way to mount R-4 tires #7  
I pretty much figured that, but because of the weight of the filled tires, jockeying them around from side to side is going to be a lot more difficult than just pulling off one side, holding the thing up with an engine hoist while I swap the inner disc position and pivot the whole thing around. This will be a small adventure. I will need help, I guess. Like certain congressmen, I like a wide stance, so it will be worth it.

If you are going to swap the inner disc (unbolt it and move from outside to inside to space the wheels out further) you won't need to swap the tires side to side. Just need to support the tire with the hoist and straps like you mentioned. I didn't know you had 2 piece rims that are adjustable.

Sorry George, but I really will be doing this to get the tire valves on the outside, where I can get a tire gauge on them. Now, because the tires are fluid filled, the valve stems have to be at 12 o'clock to measure pressure, and they are simply un-accesible when they are up there because of clearance issues. The wider track will be good, but it isn't the driver behind all this hassle. But yes, the wheels are center disc and outer rims, which can be mounted two ways.

/ which way to mount R-4 tires #9  
I know what you mean. My tires are loaded as well but my valves are outside. Good luck and be safe working with those tires.

/ which way to mount R-4 tires #10  
To get the valve stem on the outside you will need to move wheels from side to side. I took mine apart once, they are also filled. What I found to work easiest is park close to a wall but leaving enough room to work. Take the wheel off closes to the wall, roll it slong the wall out of the way and rest it against the wall. Then remove and remount the other wheel. Lean both wheels agains the wall while taking the dish off and remounting it.
Always best to have a helping hand to keep wheel upright. I handled mine alone but had the wife standing around with cell phone in hand incase I lost control and it fell on me.