whisteria

/ whisteria #1  

jaotguy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ariens
I've got a plant ( 8-9) years old , up in the cold in Canada , it just grows and never flowers ... Tried pruning it back twice a year as some suggest , but still no luck ....

any advice?

/ whisteria #3  
I have found heavy pruning makes mine flower, you won't kill it, trust me.. if it feels threatened, it will flower, as strange as it may sound... Like Brin said, if its feels all comfy with food and water, it won't propagate.. I had a hard time wrapping my head around it, (its a plant), but saw a difference when I pruned it back 50% or better in the winter..

I also found it strange that I have two that flower in the spring, and six that flower mid to late summer.. The spring ones are the ones I have to prune back and just did it today as a matter of fact.

/ whisteria
50 % ? .... I think I should be a bit more aggressive then.... been too good to it.

/ whisteria #5  
If it gets enough sun...use a fertilizer with as high as a "middle" number as you can find...look for something like or similar to "bloom buster"...

/ whisteria
something else to try ... Hmmmm ... I'm getting old these days , don't have many more years left and I'd like to see it bloom before I go to the "big tractor farm" in the sky. :)

/ whisteria #7  
To me, wisteria is right there with kudzu. In the south, I cringe if someone tells me they are actually planting wisteria. That stuff'll go wild quick here, then choke out everything else. Kind of like them jumping Asian carp in Illinois.

/ whisteria
it was a gift to the wife from a friend..... now she's on my case to "get it to flower" .... better to ask those that "have done it" rather than figure it out from trial and error.

/ whisteria #9  
To me, wisteria is right there with kudzu. In the south, I cringe if someone tells me they are actually planting wisteria. That stuff'll go wild quick here, then choke out everything else. Kind of like them jumping Asian carp in Illinois.

We don't have that trouble with it up north, although it does need to be maintained, I know when it gets hot and humid, I need to trim it back more often. I have trained all mine to be more of a tree form.

/ whisteria #10  
But I think birds can spread it all over. Not certain, but I see the mess climbing all over trees way out in the woods. It is pretty I reckon. Now, if those Asian carp only tasted good...