Who’s cutting hay?

/ Who’s cutting hay? #41  
It’s possible. I think they are just being naughty. The stud on the left runs out to the bale and tears it up. She’s been a customer for 6 years, so I must be doing something right!
My customer refuses to clean up under the feeder even after years. Then she asks me to do it every few years. YUCK!
Proved the truth of my last post :ROFLMAO:

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Spread it on the ground or turn it into manure is all 90% of the horses in the US do. But it it pays some of my tractor bills so I won’t judge the crazy ladies…too much :ROFLMAO:

Its funny how much people will spend to keep horses from wasting hay, but their owners continue to spend $ for hay huts thinking it will stop the horses from wasting it….

Then they allow years of hay residue to build up for years and the horses stand in it??? Seems counterproductive to me.

But hey I’ll take your money for nice bales of hay and if your horses waste a lot of it, it’s your problem.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #43  
Its funny how much people will spend to keep horses from wasting hay, but their owners continue to spend $ for hay huts thinking it will stop the horses from wasting it….

Then they allow years of hay residue to build up for years and the horses stand in it??? Seems counterproductive to me.

But hey I’ll take your money for nice bales of hay and if your horses waste a lot of it, it’s your problem.
That is why we feed square bales. More work but my labor is free.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
That is why we feed square bales. More work but my labor is free.
That is true.
I rely on customers who don’t want to handle hay.
Many of mine also feed wafers off of small squares in their stalls, too.

I have made all bale configurations and can honestly say each has it’s advantages and disadvantages. I read people call small square bales “idiot bricks” which is really disrespectful and only shows their insecurity.
There is nothing “idiotic” about making small squares. It just means you can’t handle the work load, and that’s fine, but that doesn’t mean the person that does is idiotic.

Good luck with the small squares and know your work is appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Who’s cutting hay? #45  
   / Who’s cutting hay? #46  
That is true.
I rely on customers who don’t want to handle hay.
Many of mine also feed wafers off of small squares in their stalls, too.

I have made all bale configurations and can honestly say each has it’s advantages and disadvantages. I read people call small square bales “idiot bricks” which is really disrespectful and only shows their insecurity.
There is nothing “idiotic” about making small squares. It just means you can’t handle the work load, and that’s fine, but that doesn’t mean the person that does is idiotic.

Good luck with the small squares and know your work is appreciated.

I have heard the term "idiot cubes" used to describe small squares. I've never made large squares but have made small squares and round bales.

Small squares are certainly less easy than round bales- they are more work as you have to handle them by hand, they must be stored under cover (which also makes it much less forgiving regarding moisture), a small square baler is much more complicated than a round baler, it requires extra equipment (wagons) not needed for round bales, and making them is slower per ton of hay made.

However, they do have their place and often that is with people who raise something other than cattle. It's easier and makes less waste with feeding small squares to small ruminants than tearing apart a round bale into loose hay to do the same. Also they are easier to make with smaller tractors than round bales and it's much harder for a small square baler to start on fire baling than it is a round baler.

Just got done baling a couple of throw wagons of small squares today and will finish the rest tomorrow. Would have been done sooner but had to fix a broken driveshaft in the mower/conditioner, which required dropping the entire cutterbar. Will do the rest of the fields in rounds next week.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #47  
Our hay season is a bust so far. Exceptional drought. Need lots of rain.

Dryer than a West Texas popcorn fart here.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Our hay season is a bust so far. Exceptional drought. Need lots of rain.

Dryer than a West Texas popcorn fart here.

Sorry to hear that. Exceptionally wet here. Rains about every 4 days. You have to make hay fast as possible, leading to mistakes and compromises in quality.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #49  
My baler covered a 13 acre field to get three(3) 4X5.5 rd bales. Cost to hay baling customer was $195 per bale. I think this hay baling customer might listen next time I tell them their hay field isn't worth baling. 8 acre field for my neighbor yielded 3 rd bales @ a cost to owner of $120 per bale. Please send any unwanted rain to north Texas