Who’s cutting hay?

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Did some cutting late into the day yesterday. Exhausted from pushing hay.
1656675240626.jpeg

1656675283020.jpeg

Made a bunch of bales over the weekend. I think we made 90 4x4x8’s, but I can’t remember now.

1656675528290.jpeg

Working until dark trying to fix things. Go home, eat, bed, up at 5.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #62  
30 acres of really good dry hay down. Stuffer finger comes loose. Parts ordered, parts don't ship. Cob jobbed together. Cob job fails, improved, holds. Bolt for feeder trip comes off. Feeder doesn't feed. Throat plugs solid, overruning slip clutch on PTO driveline fails. Hay pulled out of throat, slip clutch welded together. Dusk falls, pickup roller chain comes off, fails to be located. Meanwhile payloader is overheating and newly rebuilt truck alternator is not charging. Incredibly, only a couple acres left unbaled and not too many bales abandoned in field. Maybe it won't rain too much overnight.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
30 acres of really good dry hay down. Stuffer finger comes loose. Parts ordered, parts don't ship. Cob jobbed together. Cob job fails, improved, holds. Bolt for feeder trip comes off. Feeder doesn't feed. Throat plugs solid, overruning slip clutch on PTO driveline fails. Hay pulled out of throat, slip clutch welded together. Dusk falls, pickup roller chain comes off, fails to be located. Meanwhile payloader is overheating and newly rebuilt truck alternator is not charging. Incredibly, only a couple acres left unbaled and not too many bales abandoned in field. Maybe it won't rain too much overnight.

Amazing, isn’t it? I have about 60 acres down and there’s rain in the forecast almost every day for the next week. Equipment is stressed and breaking, but fairly manageable.
I ran my automatic greasing system too low and it now has air in the lines. Will take mucho hours to resolve. Can’t bale anything until fixed. My fault, but wow. A real mess.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #64  
Lynn, aka cat fever, I know nothing about alfalfa. It really looks beautiful. Do you fertilize? What does your guy charge to bale the big rectangles (if you don't mind me asking)?

What do they sell for locally per bale?

Thanks for sharing.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #65  
Amazing, isn’t it? I have about 60 acres down and there’s rain in the forecast almost every day for the next week. Equipment is stressed and breaking, but fairly manageable.
I ran my automatic greasing system too low and it now has air in the lines. Will take mucho hours to resolve. Can’t bale anything until fixed. My fault, but wow. A real mess.
I’ve been trying to get a broken part of a male PTO shaft out of the female side for two days now. Thought I had it yesterday when I welded a pipe on the broken piece but apparently some spal got on the male side so I’ve been trying to clean that up today. I can now get a male shaft in with a hammer so I’m close.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #66  
Lynn, aka cat fever, I know nothing about alfalfa. It really looks beautiful. Do you fertilize? What does your guy charge to bale the big rectangles (if you don't mind me asking)?

What do they sell for locally per bale?

Thanks for sharing.
Kyle I haven't fertilized for a couple years but I will this fall. The last couple years my baler guy has been charging 16 bucks a bale, not sure about this year.

Prices are all over the map but I'm going to charge 110 bucks a bale to start. I think I'm far less than anyone else we'll see.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Cut another 55 acres friday and Saturday morning. Tedder will get a heck of a workout. Rain coming

1656845617445.jpeg

We got this 15 acres baled up yesterday before rain hit at about 5pm. Now we have constant rain scheduled for every day. Made 25 bales of mulch hay. Broke a stuffer bolt with a loud bang. Replaced stuffer shear bolt, but from that point on, the knotters started giving me trouble….4 and 5 string bales instead of 6.

1656847021645.jpeg

1656845465410.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Who’s cutting hay? #70  

That makes me feel happy that all I had to deal with was a flat tire on the mower-conditioner, a stripped intermediate drive shaft on the mower-conditioner, and then a flat tire on my tractor when moving around round bales. Thank goodness that much of the equipment has the standard 6-on-6" bolt pattern hubs and has tires close enough in size to something else so that a wheel can be "borrowed" from another piece of equipment to keep going.