Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #731  
I've got green weeds on the edges of my gravel driveway. They are tough weeds but still five weeks early.
We've got snap dragons that never froze off. They're still green.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #732  
Are your trails for personal use, or do you allow public to enjoy as well?
Public
parkinglot117.jpg

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #733  
Winter hobby was suppose to be grooming XC trails which is usually done 5 days out the week, normal winter. Gee this warm, little snow winter has bit! :mad: :rolleyes::(:cry:

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #735  
I really do miss the snow. There’s just something I love about getting outside and plowing on an open station tractor. I don’t see any if it in our long range forecast. I hope we get some more before spring.

I plowed (5) times so far this winter, (2) of which were over a foot, and I used my larger tractor (JD 4120 with 7 ft rear blade and front loader). That one knocks the job out too fast and limits my “fun” time way too much on lighter snowfalls.

I keep that one under the barn side porch, plugged into a block heater, that I can turn on from a switch inside the house. That little 4 cylinder diesel engine starts very smoothly in the cold, after just a half hour on the block heater. Even if doesn’t snow, I use it about once a week to haul a half face cord of firewood in the bucket, from the woodshed behind the barn, to the side porch on the house. I let it run when I’m filling the bucket and that keeps the battery charge topped off thru the winter even if I don’t need it for snowplowing.
IMG_2107.jpeg

For lighter snowfalls, I use the smallest “old-school” tractor that money can buy (10 hp Farmall Cub). That little Cub allows me to max out my fun time. It’s a bear for snowplowing, since I put chains on the rear tires. I’ve used it on (3) of those so far this winter, which were between 3 and 6 inches. We have two driveways, one to our house and another to the barn, plus I plow the neighbors on each side.

That little tractor is gasoline powered, so it don’t need a block heater. I keep it inside the barn, and plugged into a 6 volt battery tender. It starts real good down to about 10 degrees F. It hasn’t got any colder than that yet this winter.
IMG_3940.jpeg

I work full time in a factory and that makes me relish my outside time, year/round after work and on the weekends. That is the primary reason why you couldn’t pay me to own a cab tractor. I suit up in insulated coveralls, hat, face mask, arctic boots, and heavy mittens. I also can’t stand snow blowers. They only work well on light, cold fluffy snows, shear pins, plug up, and require maintenance.

I can see where they would be handy for folks without a lot of room for snow storage. I have quite a bit of space to store it if need be. I remember making some 10 ft high piles of it, between the house and barn with the front loader, on some of the years when we have got clobbered. Those were some fun weekend projects, and made great sledding hills for the kids.

Even though we are not getting much snow, here in upstate western NY between Lakes Erie and Ontario, we at least getting reasonably cold temperatures. Nightime lows have been in the 20’s and daytime highs in the 40’s. If it gets much warmer than that, it gets too hot to burn wood in the house, and I got to use our natural gas furnaces. I much prefer the feel of the wood heat.

Last edited:
   / Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #736  
Same. I work on a flight deck all week in dress clothes and a very sterile environment. I love being outdoors and in the elements when I can. I feel alive. Sweating. Snow in my face. Doesn't matter. Comfort makes me feel dead inside.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #737  
Where I live in east canada NB we got 3foot of snow on the ground,1foot last night,, but In my whole life I only saw no snow on xmas twice, long time ago and this year, they forecasted a big winter this year but they're wrong often

Last edited:
   / Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #738  
I just put all my ice fishing tackle and cross country gear away. :(

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #740  
I just put all my ice fishing tackle and cross country gear away. :(
It’s not often that my pond is ice free in early February but it was today. I should have brought out my casting rod because I could see some fish wakes when I walked by this evening. I noticed some big bluegills in there when I was mowing the banks last fall.

A few years ago, we could ice skate on that, starting in December.
IMG_3992.jpeg

Last edited: