Who knows a good Deere salvage yard?

/ Who knows a good Deere salvage yard? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Mice got into wiring behind my tractor’s instrument- gauge panel cluster. Tractor is a Deere 5075E, Tier II, OOS.
They got a couple wires from a big harness to spade terminals on the light switch. I think I can easily butt splice them back together.

Mice chewed about 6 wires on a (pigtail )wiring harness/connector cable. Cable is about 12” long, about 18 conductors, and goes from a connector that plugs into main harness, to the back of the panel cluster (part #RE252154). Cable has lamps that go into cluster and wires that terminate on cluster (See pic #2).

I called various sellers, near and far, and nobody can tell me if cable comes with RE252154 panel cluster or can be bought separately.
Who knows a seller or salvage yard that might sell cable?
If the pigtail cable has to come with a panel, I’d probably only buy panel to get cable if it’s cheap. Otherwise, I think I’m splicing. Any tips?

It’s like nobody nowadays can actually go look at the things they sell. There’s only information on their screen or you’re S.O.L.

2nd pic is from the internet.

IMG_3349.JPG
IMG_1579.jpg

Last edited:
   / Who knows a good Deere salvage yard? #2  
For wire, Ag uses SAE J1128 GXL wire. Don't go cheap on the wire. GXL is sold at NAPA, AutoZone, etc.

/ Who knows a good Deere salvage yard?
I looked that up. GXL is a general purpose #16 awg (19 strand) XLPE crossed linked polyethylene. Doesn’t seem like anything special. Probably will use whatever I have to patch gaps when I can’t “stretch” the cable itself (~4”) to splice it back together.

/ Who knows a good Deere salvage yard? #4  
If Deere parts doesn't catalog that harness separately then it's gonna come with the cluster.

/ Who knows a good Deere salvage yard? #5  
I looked that up. GXL is a general purpose #16 awg (19 strand) XLPE crossed linked polyethylene. Doesn’t seem like anything special. Probably will use whatever I have to patch gaps when I can’t “stretch” the cable itself (~4”) to splice it back together.

It's special enough that mice, rats, and other varmints don't gnaw on it. GXL is automotive underhood wiring. The bad stuff is SXL. SXL is dang speaker wire and will not last under UV outdoors.

If you want to spend the money for the better, Marine wire for engine applications or Trailer wire for semi trucks.

Yep, I got some trailer wire that seems same gauge and stranded. Every patch needs 4 good terminations. That adds up.
Only have the two wires to the light switch patched so far.
On the panel’s cable I can match the 8 broken wires colors to their counter part. But the panel side has 10 broken wire ends??? Two extra reds. I’m guessing (!) they all get connected together?

If Deere parts doesn't catalog that harness separately then it's gonna come with the cluster.

I can’t get a confirmation either way.
How to prove a negative (that their isn’t a separate part number)?
Or, how to confirm the cluster comes with a cable when no one selling them can actually put a hand on one to check?

/ Who knows a good Deere salvage yard? #9  
First thing I'd do is check Deere's online parts lookup myself to see if that pigtail has its own part number.
Second thing I would do is find a dealer parts person with enough ambition to inquire to Deere's parts technical department (or whatever the parts help desk is called) and pull a print or do a warehouse bin check on the cluster. I work for a Kubota and New Holland dealer and if we have a question like this for either brand getting an answer is possible even if it takes a half a day or maybe a bit more for a physical bin check. A yes/no answer on that pigtail shouldn't be that big a deal if you can light a fire under somebody's butt.

/ Who knows a good Deere salvage yard? #10  
I can’t get a confirmation either way.
How to prove a negative (that their isn’t a separate part number)?
Or, how to confirm the cluster comes with a cable when no one selling them can actually put a hand on one to check?
I had a similar problem with my Ford 1920 FEL.
Mice chewed 6 or 8 wires right against the connector.
No splice fix possible.
Had to buy a new partial instrument cluster, and lucky to find it (31 yr. old tractor)
Even at $251 plus shipping, I was happy!