Who makes a good trailer tire?

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #11  
Hercules H-901 or Saliun equivalent are best bang for buck. VERY good tires and rated to run at 75 MPH while at load rating. Most are rated for 55 MPH to 65 MPH.

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #12  
I've always gone with Greenball for trailer replacement tires. No problems in several years.

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #13  
I put a set of Goodyear Endurance tires on my flatbed car trailer last year. I only have a few trips on them so far, one was 6 hrs round trip to "rescue" a Toyota car. Not much of an "endurance test" so far, but they've been fine so far. They have better load capacity at the same size than the original "China bombs" had on them.

So far, so good.

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #14  
We have a pile of trailers including 5th wheel campers, gooseneck horse trailer, 2 flat bed equipment trailers, couple utility trailers and a 12ft dump trailer. The best two tires we have used is the GY Endurance and the Carlisle Radial HD. Also Maxxis were pretty good also, but the last set did not hold up as well and I've read others saying the same thing.

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #15  
ST trailer tires unless marked otherwise are only 65 MPH. A "K" speed rating.

I agree most Chinese trailer tires are junk. Next time my open dirtbike trailer gets car tires.

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #16  
If you are serious about switching present tires out, A. Lose the 15" wheels and replace them with 16" or size wheel that fit's your truck. 15" are hard to find in passenger,light truck ,trailer or anything else so they will soon be obsolete. B. Give your truck a new set of LT tires and move old truck tires to trailer. LT tires are tested and approved for much higher standards than trailer tires. C. Buy only domestic tires because overseas mfgrs can't be punished for inferior products so they don't strive to make high quility products.
jaxs, very good post! I agree, mostly because I have done the same in planning as your suggested. However, I ran into a few issues with my trailer that wouldn't allow the suggested change you mentioned. I wanted 16 in wheels on my enclosed trailer, but they won't fit due to height of the wheel pocket. Going to a slightly wider tire was also not a option due to how close of clearance to the inside of the tire/trailer. I thought that maybe I would just go with 14 ply tires, however, besides not being able to find a supplier of 14 ply tires in 15 in range, it also severely overloads the existing rims. My final decision was, when I get ready to start hauling this trailer, I would just order new axles and springs with spacing to allow for the size tire I wanted. Not a cheap venture, but neither is blowing a tire out on the highway if your in the middle of nowhere. (a single tire, got a spare, but multiple blowouts due to a heavy trailer loaded to capacity on already marginal tires, you can't carry enough spares)!
I feel for those who buy new travel trailers, because when I was shopping, every tire on them was severely under rated. The tires would be ok as far as the capacity of the trailer, but once you put a week or months worth of supplies in it, they were right at max, and we all know running tires right at their max rating never works!
Something else worth mentioning on trailers that are used occasionally. Date codes!!! This is especially true on lighter duty tires, because the age of the tire really does matter. 6 years is the approximate lifetime of a standard tire. Most reputable tire shops won't mount a tire (or repair it) after 10 years of age.
If you don't know how to read Date Codes on tires, do an internet search and learn. It could very easily make the difference between a safe trip and sitting on the highway waiting on a tire truck.
David from jax

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #17  
My older flatbed trailer had very old 14 ply tires on it, and as they wore out, I replaced them with the tires from my truck (a mistake!!) My truck tires are 10 ply ratings, which caused me to start having a lot more tire issues. I bought another tractor and trailer, which has 14 ply tires on it, and have had no issues with them, despite the tractor weighing almost a ton more!
David from jax

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #18  
I have Carlisle Radial Trail HD, they are awesome tires.
Hey TimberXX I will have to agree with You I run Carlisle Radial Trail HD on my car/tractor hauler & Airstream travel trailer, Never had a problem with them,Wish I could say the same for the original Good/Years that came on my Airstream. One thing people tend to overlook on a trailer tire is the speed rating :oops: , That's the 1st thing I look at ,2nd get the highest ply rating you can get especially on the sidewalls;)! & last the load rating , I refuse to skimp on trailer tires period.

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #19  
I only have 16" tires on my trailers. My old trailer had sailun and they were fine.

My big cargo/car hauler has Hercules H-901 and they have given me good service, over 10k mile on heavy hauling with no issues.

My airstream has Michelin LTX from the factory, I will be changing to a proper trailer tire soon. I'm not a fan of LT tires on trailers due to the tread design. I like a rib tire so the tires don't grab when doing tight turns. The ltx don't slide enough if that makes sense.

My new trailer has Tredit Elevate STR. They have a 6 year warranty from the factory so I will keep using them until or if they give me problems.

If I had to buy tires right now I would opt for the Hercules or Sailun.

/ Who makes a good trailer tire? #20  
I have Loadstars on my camper and car trailer. So far so good. My tire guy says they are very good tires and he does semi's on down. OEM's were junk.