Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #1  

tractorshopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Looking for one that will hold up to 3" or more privet, pines, etc.

I used to have a L3800 with a 5' Landpride that was good for 3" (and I took out some stuff that was even bigger with no problems).

I've been using my belly mower to reclaim some pasture areas at my MIL's farm, but some of the pine stands are getting out of hand after years of not mowing and I'm tired of ruining my blades because I mow my lawn with this thing (BX 2380).

So, I'm looking for a comparable strength bush hog, but a 4' one for my smaller tractor. Seems like all I can find is up to 2" stuff which is more medium duty. Maybe that's all the options there are?

Anyone have a heavy duty 4' experience they'd like to brag on?

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #2  
You will not find one unless you rent a log skidder with a forestry mower.

For the money spent renting a tracked excavator to rip them out with a
choker brush grubber from Gemplers and 1/2" inch chain and 1/2" hooks will
cost you less money.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #3  
Well, my landpride 1542 was purchased new 20 odd yrs ago with my Kubota B7500.
42” not 48”, but I suspect quite similar.
i’ve had it in some pretty tall serious brush & saplings that hadn’t been cut for about 25 yrs.
I change the oil every year, it even still looks good.
although quite expensive, I would buy it again.
It’s been bullet proof for me.
YMMV

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #4  
Im not sure a BX2380 could feed a bush hog into a 3"+ sapling without stalling, although i honestly don't know. But my instinct here is just get a 'regular' 4' bush hog, and go slower. The only way you hit all 3" of something with a bush hog blade is if you've moved forward 3" before the spindle rotates 180 degrees to the next blade. There's no rule saying you have to go that fast. The blades will never cut more than you let them. I honestly think the higher ratings are mostly buying yourself headroom to hit things you couldn't see. If you have good visibility over the area you're cutting, you should be absolutely fine with 'any old' bush hog.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated
Well, my landpride 1542 was purchased new 20 odd yrs ago with my Kubota B7500.
42” not 48”, but I suspect quite similar.
i’ve had it in some pretty tall serious brush & saplings that hadn’t been cut for about 25 yrs.
I change the oil every year, it even still looks good.
although quite expensive, I would buy it again.
It’s been bullet proof for me.
YMMV
They make the 1548 now, not the 42 anymore, but it looks like the specs are the same; both show 2". This is useful info; thanks. Maybe it will cut up to 4" pines.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #6  
I don't really think your BX2380 is designed to handle a bush hog that can chop up 3" trees.

I maintain all my pine stands on my 80 acres. Every other year or so - I thin my stands. I cut the designated trees with my chain saw and chip them with my pto driven chipper. 800 to 1100 small pines.

Doing this with my M6040 and an appropriate bush hog would put too much of a load on my equipment. Plus it would not allow me to be as selective as I am.

I recognize the limitations of my equipment. My Kubota M6040 is simply not a forestry mulcher.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #7  
My Wood's brush hog weighs 748 lbs very well
made. I though that it weigh over a 1000 lbs
as I was not able to move it. Many years ago
to move 500 lbs was no problem but now I'm
an ole fart and in the morning the coffee cup
is getting pretty heavy:ROFLMAO:

willy

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #8  
I hear you Williy. One of these days I'll be giving up my heavy Navy coffee mug. Either something light & delicate or wheels on the mug. Ha,,ha,,ha

In 2009 I traded in my Ford 1700. Bought it new in 1982. Got my new 2009 Kubota M6040. Then I realized I had to go from Cat 1 implements to Cat 2 implements. You just DO NOT move/align a Cat 2 implement with a hip thrust.

Extendable lower links and a HD pry bar are a must for implement hook up.

One good thing about Cat 2 implements. Nobody is going to drive up and snatch any of my Cat 2 implements. They all are over 850# and the Rhino rear blade tops out at 1100#.

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #9  
They make the 1548 now, not the 42 anymore, but it looks like the specs are the same; both show 2". This is useful info; thanks. Maybe it will cut up to 4" pines.
And maybe you will take out the pto driveline in your tractor!

Wait until you see how much that will cost you!

SR

/ Who makes a heavy duty 4 foot bush hog? >/= 3" rated #10  
IF they made one heavy enough to rate it at a 3" capacity, it would be too heavy for your tractor to lift.

I think landpride is a little optimistic with their 2" rating with only a 424lb cutter.

For comparison, woods BB48.30 is also a 2" rating but weighs 635lbs. Which is already probably more than the BX will lift

Everyone else that makes a ~400-450lb cutter rates them at 1" capacity