Who makes the longest lasting stain

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #1  

David Wayne

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
We have a cedar sided home we stained 3 or 4 years ago and is in need of staining again. Currently power washing/ cleaning and will be re staining within the month. We used Olympic Maximum Semi transparent that claims 6 years.
Well that didnt happen so I have been researching what to use in semi transparent and semi solid. Warranty seems to range
from 5 to 8 years and I am not sure I believe them or their testimonials. So I thought I would ask my fellow TBNrs what
do you use and how long are you getting between applications? Looking for real world experience not manufacture claims.

Thanks in advance,
David

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #2  
Thank You for posting!

I was getting ready post the same question for a porch application. If you don't mind I'll listen in take advantage of your initiative :)

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #3  
There is no stain on home elevations exposed to the most extreme elements that will hold up for more than a couple of years regardless of what they claim...the less exposed the longer a good finish will last...

IMO, any "semi" anything will look like something "solid" after about two years in the elements when it's new...

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #5  
Here is consumer reports recommendations-

IMG_5733.jpg

I’d also look at the stains they use for log homes.

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #6  
Here's a recent thread asking/answering the same thing.

A couple of contractors with considerable experience said nothing lasts more than two years. Some suggested that decking will last just as long without all the work of frequent refinishing.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/412341-cedar-deck-help-please.html

I also recall a thread several years ago where the poster was discouraged when he saw that his cedar log home would need scraping down and refinishing every few years. Anybody recall that poster's name? He was a retired machine shop owner who had to make some of the parts to keep his two Chinese tractors running.

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #7  
As posted here already..Sickens is the king of the hill.

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #8  
   / Who makes the longest lasting stain #9  
I’ve had this stuff on my deck for 10 years and it still looks decent. And it’s not flaking. I could re coat it without any sanding. IMG_7144.JPGIMG_7145.JPG

/ Who makes the longest lasting stain #10  
I use Ready Seal with good success.