Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #521  
Fantastic mountain highway scenery. I think your timing of this trip is to be congratulated also. Kids are back in school, into fall and waning of summer heat and fall colors should be showing as you motor east. I really enjoy all the pictures you post - thank you IT.

I did time the trip to avoid all the families on vacation and catch the tail end of summer. It has worked well. I was mostly concerned about national parks. Turns out all the foreign tourists arrive now for the same reason. Still, roads have been almost empty and other than a couple of days stuck in Bozeman (not a bad place at all to be stuck for bad weather) the days have been sunny and warm. Today driving to Dodge City will be a bit warmer and windy than ideal but should still be fine.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #522  
My sister lives in Carbondale, you see the historic car show there the last few days.

I like Carbondale. The ride from Hotchkiss to Carbondale is beautiful and not as busy or technical as going over Independence Pass so more relaxing. I'd been to Carbondale before so didn't stop this time but it is a very nice area. I like Basalt nearby as well. Gassed up there and got off the bike to stretch. Aspen is kinda cute but far too boutiquey for my taste. Just stopped at traffic lights there.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #523  
Crossing the continental divide, a "watershed" event. Stay safe. Smell the roses.

True though I failed to mention that my drive through Yellowstone involved passing back and forth over the Continental Divide about three times! Independence Pass was the more significant though as I'm now out of the mountains and on to the plains. This is a big country! Planning to have a beer or two this evening with Wyatt Earp.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #524  
Today was WINDY!! 20+ cross wind all day. Worst was going over the Douglas Pass on 139 between Rangely and Grand Junction. Had to cut speed all day. Beautiful drive but not relaxing. Stopped in Delta CO for the night. Up early tomorrow to try to beat the wind. Good practice for Kansas next week!!
I remember riding up into Denver and the wind was so bad the trailer trucks were pulled to the side of the road. I never felt so stressed riding before, the bike was leaned over using the few dirt jobs on the tires for traction. I know what you mean, that wind gets old.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #525  
Island, c'mon man! You are RIDING a beautiful Super Ten! You do not "drive" motorcycles. :D

/ Who rides motorcycles? #526  
Island, c'mon man! You are RIDING a beautiful Super Ten! You do not "drive" motorcycles. :D

Slip of the tongue. Too much time in cages!
Route 50 is a nice ride although it's windy again today. No laid back cruising especially as it's not a divided highway. Scenery is not as dramatic as the Rockies but it is remarkable especially for someone from the East Coast. Just drove 150 miles without a single hill.

Bike is flawless.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #527  
Well, anyone who says motorcycling through Kansas is boring has never done it with 20-30mph crosswinds trying to push you into the oncoming traffic. No time to be bored. Like riding an arcade game for hours at a time. Holed up for the night in Dodge City. Played cards with Doc Holliday and am waiting for Wyatt to have a drink. IMG_0556.JPG

/ Who rides motorcycles? #528  
Well, anyone who says motorcycling through Kansas is boring has never done it with 20-30mph crosswinds trying to push you into the oncoming traffic. No time to be bored. Like riding an arcade game for hours at a time. Holed up for the night in Dodge City. Played cards with Doc Holliday and am waiting for Wyatt to have a drink. View attachment 522459

Nice little town, not too far off highway 50, is Cottonwood Falls KS. There's a little restaurant over in adjoining Strong City that's got pretty good food. The Flint Hills of KS are pretty scenic. Stay cool, and drink a lot of water!! Have fun. Good pics!

/ Who rides motorcycles? #529  
Drove south from Dodge City to Rt 160 and then east. Rt 50 ok but much less traffic on 160. Much prettier landscape once the gentle hills appear and SE Kansas looks almost tropical (not really) compared to western and central Kansas. Beautiful rolling hills and real trees. I think this was part of the Santa Fe trail too. Arkansas River just a little stream here but goes all the way back to Cañon City CO and the Rockies. Stopped in Medicine Lodge to check out a little museum dedicated to the treaty signed by the US with a handful, of native tribes that made building the railroad west possible (US broke the treaty when convenient). Continued east and spent the night in Independence KS. Off to the Ozarks or a bit further east today. IMG_0568.JPGIMG_0248.JPGIMG_0251.JPG

/ Who rides motorcycles? #530  
After a couple of days transiting the Ozarks (well deserved reputation as motorcycle heaven but tough to take photos in the twisties) I crossed the Mississippi south of Memphis and spent a day exploring cotton country and Blues in Clarksdale MS. Now in Tupelo (Elvis birthplace) and heading to AL today. I didn't expect weather in the 90's every day but that's only a problem when I stop. Developing a taste for sweet tea. IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0278.JPGIMG_0673.JPGIMG_0681.JPGIMG_0685.JPG