Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,491  
I am in progress of taking my motorcycle license, always been driving dirty and off-road but I am pushing my luck and I am getting afraid of repercussions, so I am making the step to the legal side. I have to say they are not making it convenient I already almost said F&#K it and drop everything 3 times once because of insurances, finally found a affordable one after spending half a day calling insurance companies. Then was for the M2 course tried to book in my city, no answer next city over no answer third city over (3h away) same this called, left a message left emails nothing ...then called the next major city over (6h away) there was good availability but didn't fit in my schedule and it was getting too far and expensive with hotel rooms and all. So before quitting everything I called back the city 3h away but instead of calling the personalize line I was giving online by the associations I simply called the generic line to find out that the person I was trying to contact was no longer working there but now everything is book until the end of the summer but I book it regardless so that means I will be riding dirty for one more year...

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 71
   / Who rides motorcycles? #1,492  
I am in progress of taking my motorcycle license, always been driving dirty and off-road but I am pushing my luck and I am getting afraid of repercussions, so I am making the step to the legal side. I have to say they are not making it convenient I already almost said F&#K it and drop everything 3 times once because of insurances, finally found a affordable one after spending half a day calling insurance companies. Then was for the M2 course tried to book in my city, no answer next city over no answer third city over (3h away) same this called, left a message left emails nothing ...then called the next major city over (6h away) there was good availability but didn't fit in my schedule and it was getting too far and expensive with hotel rooms and all. So before quitting everything I called back the city 3h away but instead of calling the personalize line I was giving online by the associations I simply called the generic line to find out that the person I was trying to contact was no longer working there but now everything is book until the end of the summer but I book it regardless so that means I will be riding dirty for one more year...
For much of the world, small MC's are low cost primary transportation. That's not how many people use 'em, Can/USA, but it would be a nice option to have, esp. where fuel cost has been manipulated to.....

They really don't make licensing easy here.... and I say that, as somebody who believes in actual rider training..... a young fella at work went through similar hoops, delays, long drives to multiple test locations last year, to finally get his M.

The whole testing system is pretty backed up these days, but if they have a cancellation queue, I hope you get a surprise early call-to-test before your booked date !

Rgds, D.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,493  
In my youth long time ago I rode dirt bikes. In middle age I bought a street cruiser and rode it thru several tire replacements lol. I ended up retiring with a bad back and sold my street bike because I was afraid if I ever dropped it I couldn’t pick it up again . If I was a smaller person I would buy a 250 street bike for running around but at 6’4” I don’t fit small bikes.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,494  
In my youth long time ago I rode dirt bikes. In middle age I bought a street cruiser and rode it thru several tire replacements lol. I ended up retiring with a bad back and sold my street bike because I was afraid if I ever dropped it I couldn’t pick it up again . If I was a smaller person I would buy a 250 street bike for running around but at 6’4” I don’t fit small bikes.
yeah my 450 wr is not comfortable at all and its so boring on the HWY, the RPM is not bad at 56 mph but at 60 mph is a but much but so fun in town its a power house my 250 XT is a lot more comfortable but its gutless both bike as a top speed of 87 mph... I will buy something bigger and more comfortable for HWY's once my insurance cost goes down but I won't sell any of them I love them both, the 250 is perfect for the wife and I will keep the 450 for hunting and off road/dirt road drives.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,495  
Many of us "of an age" can relate to back issues....... I haven't gone to look (somebody has likely built one, at least as a pit-bike), but taller people could use a "Brompton" version of a 250.....

Brompton A Line: Affordable Folding Bike | Brompton

Wouldn't want a franken-250 like that off-road, but it could be run-off-and-join-circus fun on the street.... outside of DOT inspections :cool: .....

Rgds, D.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,496  
Rainy day here.... got thinking back to a few minutes of Rev TV (Canuck gearhead channel) I caught in the lunchroom @ work early this week.

Organized meet of vintage bikes. Host is chatting with a guy with a 1937 Rudge MC.... brass (or bronze?) cylinder head, basically aero-tech quality at the time. Rudge owner talked about the work that went into restoring/rebuilding the gas tank, and when asked about the other major mechanical parts, said "Those, you just call ____ in Markham; they have them all on file to CNC".

I left my jaw on the floor of the lunchroom, on my way back to my desk to wrestle with sourcing parts for 5 to 10 y/old light and heavy vehicles.....

Kills me, when you can readily just open your wallet, and get parts that go onto a machine that rolled out the factory door before my mother learned to walk......

I haven't noticed any Rudge owners on here, but I recall the name as IRM, in Markham Ontario, Canada. A quick search just now led me to:

IRM Technologies

Between my Less Than Perfect Memory, and Just Guessing..... apologies if I send any Rudge owners on a wild-goose chase....

Rgds, D.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,497  
Well, I just won the bidding on ebay for a 2002 BMW R1150R with 15000 miles. For those of you who are not BMW savvy, this model uses the well-known boxer engine with cylinders sticking out the side. The boxer engine of the era in question is known as the "Oilhead", one of BMWs most reliable engines ever. One fellow has over one half million miles on his boxer powered GS and it has the OE rotating assembly. My latest will be picked up in NC and ridden home to Alabama and will be the stablemate for my 2001 R1150GS. Now, where should I ride next? That new BMW needs some miles, about 1500 of 'em.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,498  
Ride up to Springfield, MO next week to the BMWMOA's 50th anniversary. I'm leaving Wednesday.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,499  
Well, I just won the bidding on ebay for a 2002 BMW R1150R with 15000 miles. For those of you who are not BMW savvy, this model uses the well-known boxer engine with cylinders sticking out the side. The boxer engine of the era in question is known as the "Oilhead", one of BMWs most reliable engines ever. One fellow has over one half million miles on his boxer powered GS and it has the OE rotating assembly. My latest will be picked up in NC and ridden home to Alabama and will be the stablemate for my 2001 R1150GS. Now, where should I ride next? That new BMW needs some miles, about 1500 of 'em.

BMWs have always been very reliable. Here's a photo of me and my R75/5 in Canada nearly 50 years ago!
BMW, Canadian Rockies 6Aug75.jpg

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,500  
DesertEagle71, you have done an amazing job on the pictorial part of your life.