Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,551  
That could be. I don't see how swappable batteries are a logistically feasible solution in the US. It only seems relevant to long distance touring, and I would think the demand is too sparse and spread out to expect conveniently placed battery stations across the country.
Everyone who doesn't drive an EV and hasn't put their own money on EV battery swap thinks it is a great idea.

Everyone who has invested in EV battery swap has lost their shirts. Just because it works for DeWalt power tools doesn't mean it works for automobiles and motorcycles.

The first problem with battery swap is that you are leasing a very expensive component that is easy to abuse. So you have to price the lease accordingly. No one has been able to overcome that burden.

First few years of Tesla Model S production was designed for robotic battery swap. Videos on YouTube of 90 second battery exchanges. Tesla ran one swap station for a year and charged $80 for a battery swap. But, one had a period where one had to return to swap one's original battery back else pay daily rental fees. I never asked if one was charged another $80 to get one's original battery back or whether that was included in the original fee.

The original Model S charged slower on Superchargers than current production. A friend added 250 miles of range to her Model 3 Long Range at a Supercharger in 35 minutes. That is a bit more time than the $80 Model S battery swap. She paid about $20 for the electricity. So what would you do to save $60 in 30 minutes?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,552  
Everyone who doesn't drive an EV and hasn't put their own money on EV battery swap thinks it is a great idea.

Everyone who has invested in EV battery swap has lost their shirts. Just because it works for DeWalt power tools doesn't mean it works for automobiles and motorcycles.

The first problem with battery swap is that you are leasing a very expensive component that is easy to abuse. So you have to price the lease accordingly. No one has been able to overcome that burden.

First few years of Tesla Model S production was designed for robotic battery swap. Videos on YouTube of 90 second battery exchanges. Tesla ran one swap station for a year and charged $80 for a battery swap. But, one had a period where one had to return to swap one's original battery back else pay daily rental fees. I never asked if one was charged another $80 to get one's original battery back or whether that was included in the original fee.

The original Model S charged slower on Superchargers than current production. A friend added 250 miles of range to her Model 3 Long Range at a Supercharger in 35 minutes. That is a bit more time than the $80 Model S battery swap. She paid about $20 for the electricity. So what would you do to save $60 in 30 minutes?
Ride a motorcycle?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,554  
I realized the other day I have been riding my Bultaco Alpina too much. I stopped my modern Triumph Tiger, and instinctively used my right foot to put down the side stand :oops:. Wrong, it is on the left side on the Triumph. Like almost every other bike. Except the Bul!

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,555  
At 50 MPG my FJR1300 costs more per mile to drive than my Tesla. More for fuel. More for tires.
You should see/ride my buddy's FJR1300. The original owner (Don another friend of both of us) bought the bike new, then took it to this other friend of ours (Craig who owns a machine/fab shop) and told him to "hide" a variable vane turbo on it. After a complete intake manifold fab, exhaust collector fab, new programmable ignition, many other things, and about $15 grand, The bike screams all the way to redline in top gear...and it gets there FAST! He likes to run aviation 100LL in it, but can do with 93 premium in a pinch. They took the bike to Terry Kizer's in Houston for a dyno tune and the mechanic there said that was one of the finest turbo systems he's ever seen on a bike. It's not stupid fast, but it puts out about 200 hp at the rear wheel in cool weather. It's fun blasting past guys with a "bagger" bike. The original owner took a loss and sold it to another guy in our group of friends, then that guy sold it to my close friend for a great price. I told him if he ever has to sell it, gimme a break and a good price. His other bikes are a 2nd gen Vmax, Ducati Hypermotard 1100, and an old FJ1100. + a lot of other bikes. He's always begging me to bring my helmet down and go riding with him. It's been over a year since I've been riding with him. He's the guy who gave me the basket case '79 GT 80 yamaha my son rides now.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,556  
I picked up this 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom last week. It seems to be in pretty nice condition with 3,400 miles and included the factory windshield, color matched bags, and seat grab rail. Original tires have plenty of tread but being 9 years old I ordered a new pair which just arrived today. I've only ridden it 150 miles but it's quite comfortable, smooth as glass, and has cruise and heated grips so it'll make a nice tourer, and it's something a little different.
When I have it on the lift to change tires I'll change the brake fluid (which is probably original) and engine oil so it should be good to go.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,557  
Did the ride to Tuktoyaktuk Northwest Territory’s, 26 days 9,352 miles round trip , 1200 miles on gravel roads, 3 rear flat tires that we managed to plug, it was a great trip but I’m very glad to be home again.
1658404210380.jpeg

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,558  
What a great ride! What caused the flats?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,559  
What a great ride! What caused the flats?
I’m not really sure but suspect the first flat was caused by a sharp stone puncture, all 3 flats were from the same puncture, the first plug lasted about 500 miles, the second plug lasted about 400, then I put 2 plugs in the same hole and it lasted until I got a new tire installed. The old tire was completely worn out with only about 4,500 miles. The gravel up there is a lot harder on tires than it is here in Wisconsin.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,560  
Ok same problem but at least a stone puncture that had to be replugged sounds a little less bad than 3 separate punctures.