who wants a Humvee?

/ who wants a Humvee? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
read an article that a lot of older Humvees are being sold to make way for newer models.
The real question is, what use are these things? Is this only for a Texas or Colorado ranch?
They are supposedly really slow, uncomfortable and loud.
Parade vehicle?
probably would make a good low speed tow vehicle...

Humvees for sale in online auction | GovPlanet

/ who wants a Humvee? #2  
I know a guy that has one and lives in the far north where it's real snowy and cold. He says nothing will stop it in the snow and he can go through any kind of terrain without an issue. For him it's an all around vehicle for those who live where the pavement stops. he's had it for maybe 15 years now and wouldn't sell or stop using it. He loves it.

/ who wants a Humvee? #3  
They are great getting through traffic if you get either the TOW or .50 cal option. :)

tow-marines.jpg

I prefer the .50 cal, ammo is easier to get, target practice is cheaper.

IMG_3508.jpg

/edit - also talk about COMFORT.
Nothing like driving around in the rough for hours in a Humvee. Get back to your tent and enjoy the comfort, even if you only have a sheet over a jagged rock it's better :)

/ who wants a Humvee?
yeah but the TOW would clear out the whole intersection with one shot.
Really it should have a mini gun...

yes, with the right tires, I bet these things with locked diffs are a beast offroad and in the snow.
They are so oversized though hard to park in what most of us call civilization.
But if one lives far out there, buying one of these for ten grand or whatever they actually sell for
is likely a huge value. Parts shouldn't be a problem.
Wonder if you pay extra for bullet holes...

/ who wants a Humvee? #5  
Better build a bigger barn Drew. Should pull the Boat you know you want too.

/ who wants a Humvee? #6  
My 1984 chevy k30 is a former military vehicle, M1010 CUCV. A Humvee would be the logical next step... awesome offroad abilities, even if they are huge!

/ who wants a Humvee? #7  
I've had many miles in a HumVee, they will go just about anywhere and are a tough piece of equipment. But if something does break, check your credit limit before you start ordering parts.

There's nothing comfortable about them, they just barely beat walking on that score. Seats are thin and hard, very little room for your feet in the front, the high wide hump between the seats interferes with everything, unless you need to have a big azz military type radio with you.
The interior gets hot, real hot, after driving it for awhile and that little pocket your feet have to stay in will burn your feet up. In the winter, your feet will stay warm, the rest of your body will stay pretty near outside temps.

I wouldn't take one if it was given to me unless whoever gave it to me told me that I didn't have to keep it.

/ who wants a Humvee? #8  
I had the civilian H1 version back in 2007. It was all dolled up with red paint and leather seats. Even had navigation. ... Had it for about 10-11 months before I could find someone who was kind enough to buy it from me. Total pira to park anywhere, got about 6 mpg and noisy as a freight train.

/ who wants a Humvee? #9  
It's for military buffs or wannabes. No practical use. There are plenty of civilian vehicles that will do off-road better than a Humvee.

/ who wants a Humvee? #10  
Most of the ones I see in auctions are listed as something like

DEMIL Code "F". CARC paint (Chemical agent resistant coating), please have hazmat disposal plan on file before bidding.
DEMIL Code "Q". Requires mutilation inside the United States before disposal.

In other words, you are not allowed to keep it in one piece, you cannot sell the pieces, you must strip the toxic paint and dispose of it correctly and the destroy the pieces once clean to recover the crap metal value.

If these interpretations aren't accurate, I wouldn't mind looking into an LMTV...