Who/What's eating my blueberries?

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
Typically get gallons of berries from 4 main and 4 smaller plants but last year less than half that.
20150824_171723.jpg
20150824_171841.jpg

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries? #2  
Upstate NY the berries can't possibly be bearing fruit yet. I'd guess deer. Been dealing with them around here for weeks now. Now for the first time my wife saw a bear in the driveway but I doubt that would be your problem.

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries?
Upstate NY the berries can't possibly be bearing fruit yet.

That's for sure! Leaves are just starting to bud out in fact. :)
The pics were taken late August of last year. Trying to figure out what the problem was and if there's anything I can do about it this season.

Birds are the biggest threat to the berries critter-wise but we have netting covering all of the bushes. In fact all of the garden is unfenced but for some reason, even though there's plenty of deer around, they don't bother it. No shortage of bears either but if they can't find some garbage left out or bird seed they just move on.

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries? #6  
Well, a close look at the pictures shows me that this is not a problem related to furry critters. I'm guessing its either bugs or a fungus. Have you looked at the leaves with a magnifying glass? If there are spots that are moving its bugs, spots not moving are a fungus. Sevin will kill most bugs, Daconil most fungi. Don't know if Sevin is ok for food. Daconil is used on all sorts of fruits and veggies -- slightly disturbing once you see it [it has a slick, silvery appearance like something out of an evil lab]. But without it there would be no broccoli, celery, pumpkins, etc. I suspect there are organic alternatives but I can't name them. I'm sure there is someone on this site who knows -- this place never disappoints.

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries? #7  
Well, a close look at the pictures shows me that this is not a problem related to furry critters.

Your best bet is to visit your local Cooperative Extension Service office. The folks there will be familiar with plant problems in your area and they may be able to identify your particular problem from your photos. They will also advise you as to an appropriate remedy.

Steve

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries? #8  
Down here the biggest culprit is always birds. They can clear a field in a matter of hours if the flock is big enough.

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries? #9  
My guess....Japanese Beatles.

/ Who/What's eating my blueberries? #10  
It might be called Septoria leaf spot disease. Just a guess from googling "blueberry diseases".