Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I'm 56, and my right eye has developed a pretty bad cataract, requiring surgery. I had an eye exam at two different places and they both agree on the need for cataract surgery, as do I, because my vision in my right eye has gotten real crappy.

Key-Whitman Eye Center (big eye center in/near Dallas) did Lasik on my left eye 10 years ago and I trust them the most and will have them do the surgery. The Lasik 10 years ago gave me mono vision, left corrected for distance via Lasik, right eye was left alone and was suitable for reading. The mono vision worked ok, but depth perception was a slight problem and you find yourself having to align your head certain ways for things like reading/welding so the proper eye is aligned with the task.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going with, and they've recommended, a Symfony multifocal IOL. They said it should give me great distance and intermediate, with useable near vision for everyday tasks of reading a cell phone, dashboard etc. Actual reading of a book or fine print, I'd probably prefer readers. I'm fine with this, I already use off-the-rack readers for this and at my age, I figure readers are pretty much the norm. The plan right now is to just fix the right eye, but the left would need done some year down the road.

The only real concerns I have is with night vision. The Symfony lens is supposed to minimize most halo's, glare, starburst etc, that a multi focal can have, but doesn't truly eliminate it. Doing the surgery via laser is also supposed to minimize the risk of night issues when using multi focal lenses. I went down the Google-fu rabbit hole during my research and like most internet research, I find reviews all over the place. Like most things, you're going to hear mainly from the folks that aren't happy. So I'm checking with the folks I trust the most on real world feed-back, TBN'ers.

I have a meeting with a Key- Whitman counselor on Jan. 9th to finalize everything and then schedule the procedure. Most insurance will pay for standard Mono focal lenses installed via conventional surgery. Upgrading to a multi-focal and laser assisted surgery would cost more out of my pocket. I'm fine with this, eyesight is a big thing and I want the best possible outcome for the remainder of my life.

What's the feedback/outcome/recommendations with some of the folks here?

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #2  
I'm 66, had both mine done, last one a couple of months ago. One of the most rewarding surgeries I've ever had done.
I was using invisible bifocals before, now drive with no glasses and can read pretty much newspaper size print with no problem. Watch TV with no glasses. Need readers for any great amount of reading or small print. Being able to drive with out glasses and do most everything else without them is awesome. I have to keep reminding myself to use the safety glasses when I'm out in the garage as I was used to using the 2.0 cheater glasses to see the tape measure.
I was offered the multifocal lenses but the surgeon mentioned about starburst and night driving and I may find it annoying so I went with normal lenses. I still have a slight starburst but nothing I can't live with. Even with normal eyes, I hated night driving.
As for the actual surgery, I have no idea if it was laser or not, I know it was less than 15 minutes in the OR and no pain at all. No patch, just drops for a month after and had full vision back in 24 hours or so.
Long story short, I'm glad I went with the single vision, your mileage may vary :) ...........Mike

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #3  
I haven't had it myself, but my wife had it done a couple years ago (both eyes). She was very pleased with the results. She still needs glasses for some things, but can get along without them for the most part. Her night vision is better, but still not very good. No complaints about halos, just that it takes her eyes a very long time to adjust and even then it's not as good as mine.

Unfortunately, I'm not a good candidate for it due to a large amount of astigmatism. It would be a very expensive procedure and not one that's covered by Medicare.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #4  
I had both of my eyes done in 2020. Standard procedure, no laser. I could not afford the multifocal lense, went with no glasses for distance, reading for close. No night driving issues, no problems. Follow the doctors post surgery instructions. Don't do like a friend did and go home and bale hay.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #5  
My dad had his done. He is happy with it.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #6  
Had both done in 2020,no problem.My surgeon does 10 a day when operating.I still need glasses for a stigmatism.;so I went for the single focus.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #7  
My wife (68) had cataract surgery a year ago. Medicare would pay but since she has worn glasses for 60 years decided to pay for lens implants as well. Her vision is 20-20 now but needs low power readers for small print. I was checked (I'm 70), no cataracts and still have 20-20 vision. The girl checking me was pretty...I mean REAL pretty ). I asked her how old the Ophthalmologist was who was giving me the rest of tests and she said he was really old..."ancient" she said.
When I saw him found out he was a month younger than me!

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #8  
I'm 70 and had both eyes done about 3 years ago. Had distance vision corrected. (I wore glasses for almost 60 years to see distance). Now only need reading glasses which are cheap. Just had my annual checkup about 3 weeks ago. Vision is still 20/20 since surgery. No problems driving day or night. Dr. did each eye about a month apart. Time took about 3 hours each time including recovery time. I only had to pay a small copay.
Hardest part was after surgery putting prescribed eye drops in the eye several times a day for a week. I hate things going in my eye. Most of the time my eyelid would slam shut just before the drop hit.

Last edited:
   / Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #9  
At 88 I had catract surgery....with distance lens and stigmatism correction....did both eyes and cost me a bundle. However my Macular degeneration set in after that and my vision is poor as to distortion and blank spots. The cataract surgery was quite helpful however.

Now, I'm getting shots for AMD in both eyes.....I'm slowing down anyway now that I'm 90 YO. Just glad that I can see as well as I do....and still can drive safely on local streets/roads....mostly during day time hours.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.
I see most folks have had the single focal lenses. Anyone have experience with the multifocal?