Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Unless you are a Zombie tuned into MSM, it's hard not to go mental with what's happening in our world.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Long ago I saw (and still have) a video on cop killing in Canada "Open Season". I will never forget what the head shrinker said. Some people can't be famous, so they choose to be infamous instead.

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
One more murder/suicide. It's the height of self-destructive rage.

Several of my Facebook friends have been posting uplifting memes as a way of digging themselves out of depression and dark mental places. It's a small sample, but I think a lot of people are having a tough time maintaining their emotional balance. It puts me in mind of Thoreau's famous quote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

I found my version of Waldon Pond years ago, but still remember the early '80s, when I was in my 30s and everything in my life was going wrong. It seemed nothing I did helped, and I was angry all the time. That level of frustration consumes you.

I think modern American life is not good for people. There is too much noise, too much congestion, too many rules, and a constant drum beat of fear and anger. It is not good for people to live in fear.

I like TBN because rural living dials down the anger. We can justifiably be angry at that gopher in the garden, and make serious plans to kill that sucker, without inflicting violence on people. We don't keep guns for self defense, we keep guns because we might need to shoot something. People in cities think guns are for shooting people. I can't imagine that. I have to work myself up for two weeks just to butcher a cow. I think if more people had been up to their elbows in a warm gut pile, they would be less casual about killing.

gsganzer

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
We have an entire generation (actually 2 generations) of people who have not learned coping skills when things don't go their way, leading to a "retribution culture". The "cancel culture" is another example. It's plain and simple a mental health issue.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
It's a POWDERKEG! No doubt about that.

I have gotten back into meditation. All this stress, evil and misinformation caused me to become rather ill. Hard though, to live in this world and not be part of it. We don't live in a vaccuume.

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
We don't keep guns for self defense, we keep guns because we might need to shoot something. People in cities think guns are for shooting people. I can't imagine that.

I thought the same way until someone was trying to break into the house. I can now imagine it and would have had no hesitation in doing so. Thankfully he was smart enough when he saw the gun to try to leave. Thankfully when we called 911 there was actually an officer close by. Caught the guy.

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
I think modern American life is not good for people. There is too much noise, too much congestion, too many rules, and a constant drum beat of fear and anger. It is not good for people to live in fear.
I don't think it is a problem with "modern American" life but just life. Other countries have it far worse with noise, congestion, rules,... Can't imagine what it is like to live in China, and I have visited China, nor Russia, Cuba, Venezuela, Pakistan, ...

In those places, and others, the mass murders are done by the people in charge. 🤔

Pick a time in history and one local group was doing it horrible things to another group. Today at least, in some places, it has changed so that an individual doing bad things is viewed as a horrible event done by a deranged person, compared to years past, where it was an accepted behavior done by a group of "normal" people.

Look at the example of the Viking Blood Eagle Execution "ritual." There are many others...

Later,
Dan

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
You have no idea. I was reading something about China, and in areas where you already couldn't breath, they set up GIANT incinerators, and some other mind blowing unhealthy complex, I can't think of.
I go outside and all that fresh air hurts my nose! lol

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Things like this have been going on for longer than most people realize. Now, however, we have instant communications and more access to more ways to destroy life.

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744
People have anger and hate and they don't know how to cope with life's disappointments. Our schools teach that everyone gets a ribbon or gold star and you should always get what you want. Then these people get older and are mad because reality sets in. I think it will get worse before it gets better. Sad.

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
Just don't see light at end of this tunnel. :(

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Speaking about Indianapolis specifically, I have family there. For the most part, it's not a bad place to live. Just driving through and spending some time there, you wouldn't think it's the nation's 17th largest city. It's spread out over almost an entire county. As with most large cities, it has it's very wealthy and very poor neighborhoods. Very good, and very poor schools. Very safe and very unsafe areas. Just a typical large urban/suburban area.

Of course, that has nothing to do with what happened at Fedex. That was aparently a 19 year old former employee.

gsganzer

Veteran Member
Tractor
People have anger and hate and they don't know how to cope with life's disappointments. ........ I think it will get worse before it gets better. Sad.
I agree. Coping skills are no longer taught through proper parenting.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Also, just to make a point, the Indianapolis shooting was just one of about 44 other mass shootings in the U.S. in, get this, the past 1 month. 44 mass shootings in 30 days.

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Things like this have been going on for longer than most people realize. Now, however, we have instant communications and more access to more ways to destroy life.
It's not that they happen. It's the frequency and range of locations, schools, workplaces, streets, concert venues ....

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Curious if any of the usual crisis actors were spotted in attendance.

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560

Very true on the communications, and the history of it, but not so sure about the more ways to destroy life given all the restrictions that have been put in place over the years.

Of course it also doesn't take much to do a whole lot of damage either as illustrated by this historical event: The Brunswick Massacre

As sad as it is, it's probably a "good" thing that the current generations of criminally motivated killers keep turning to the weapons the media seem to so love demonizing - otherwise they could probably cause far more damage because as tough as the human body can be, it's also quite fragile in many regards. So it's probably also a good thing that so many of them don't have/acquire much training, understanding or ingenuity, but instead tend to (mostly) copying what's been done before.

Though I suspect as long as people are so surprised/shocked by it that they can't react/respond or their ability to defend themselves is hindered (if/when they are mentally prepared to defend themselves) it's likely to keep happening just because it's obviously an effective way to gain a lot of attention while throwing a lethal temper tantrum.

While I may have missed it (if it's happened), I'm not sure I can recall a mass shooting having ever occurred at/in a police station -- ambushing/attacking officers on duty has happened (far too frequently), but charging into a police station? Not sure I've every heard of that outside of a Hollywood movie script. Much like there's rarely much randomness involved in the act (though it does happen as seen in the 1915 Brunswick Massacre example above).

(rather wish this was $0.02 of mine that wasn't possible to expend in an opinion on current events)

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
I just wish for once and for all, the MSM would understand that nobody that uses a weapon professionally for Assault, uses a Semi Automatic. Generally speaking, NO SUCH THING!

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Apparently the :censored:'s mother had alerted police last year.

I don't think it helps that the media reports the shootings the way that they do a baseball game, complete with statistics.

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
Apparently the :censored:'s mother had alerted police last year.

I don't think it helps that the media reports the shootings the way that they do a baseball game, complete with statistics.

The media is part of the problem - stoking anger and hatred. Just listen carefully to the words they use. On both sides.

MoKelly

Citydude

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HSTC
I thought Indiana had the Jake Laird law (red flag law). If the mother notified law enforcement, I wonder how things went with that?

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
The media is part of the problem - stoking anger and hatred. Just listen carefully to the words they use. On both sides.

MoKelly

They live for stoking anger, FEAR and hatred towards each other.
They are especially shameful with fanning the flames of racial hatred and pitting several groups of people against one another.
They do little investigating. They'd rather get the story out first. If its wrong, they never admit it, but half heartedly correct in some back page somewhere, rarely apologizing for the false stories they tell and the damage they do.
My favorite is when someone stands up to them or wins a significant judgement (Ron DeSantis, Nicholas Sandman, Duke Lacrosse, etc)

Last edited:

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Check out the Associated Press. It's more likely to contain news and not opinion. When I worked at the newspaper I had access to their raw satellite feed (later converted to web-based feed) and administered our systems to sort the stories to electronic news desks (database containers) based on AP supplied keywords like finance, sport, entertainment, etc. They'd do about 12,000 stories per day from all over the world. Some fascinating stuff came over that feed. It was interesting to see which newspapers around the country selected which AP stories to run with that day.

gsganzer

Veteran Member
Tractor
I agree that our news outlets are more concerned about stoking the 24hr news cycle with controversy over content being their mantra. The Wall Street Journal is about the only credible news agency left.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
I agree that our news outlets are more concerned about stoking the 24hr news cycle with controversy over content being their mantra. The Wall Street Journal is about the only credible news agency left.
There's gonna, of course, be people that disagree with you on WSJ. However, it's perpetually rated dead in the center for bias.

I like this site. Plug in a news source you're interested in and see where it's rated for bias.

As I mentioned in the past, I worked at a newspaper for several decades. We'd get complaints about a story that we were both too far left and too far right on the same story. We were rated right down the middle as well.

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
People have anger and hate and they don't know how to cope with life's disappointments. Our schools teach that everyone gets a ribbon or gold star and you should always get what you want. Then these people get older and are mad because reality sets in. I think it will get worse before it gets better. Sad.
And there are too darn many weapons available for the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I do find the radio on my short commute gives me most of the news and TV is less and less...

Still read paper when time permits but it keeps shrinking in size.

Some of the happiest people I know are the least connected or plugged in...

Typically involved with their church, grandkids and gardening...

The opposite I've found true with the big screen and 24 hour cable news being wound up a lot of the time to the point of hair trigger on both sides...

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
The Wall Street Journal is about the only credible news agency left.
There's gonna, of course, be people that disagree with you on WSJ. However, it's perpetually rated dead in the center for bias.

AJC's pretty good too and they generally have longer, more detailed stories, but both have issues with paywalls.

Unfortunately, Reuters has changed format to some sort of media rich mess which means more pictures and less words.

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
One more murder/suicide. It's the height of self-destructive rage.

Several of my Facebook friends have been posting uplifting memes as a way of digging themselves out of depression and dark mental places. It's a small sample, but I think a lot of people are having a tough time maintaining their emotional balance. It puts me in mind of Thoreau's famous quote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

I found my version of Waldon Pond years ago, but still remember the early '80s, when I was in my 30s and everything in my life was going wrong. It seemed nothing I did helped, and I was angry all the time. That level of frustration consumes you.

I like TBN because rural living dials down the anger. We can justifiably be angry at that gopher in the garden, and make serious plans to kill that sucker, without inflicting violence on people. We don't keep guns for self defense, we keep guns because we might need to shoot something. People in cities think guns are for shooting people. I can't imagine that. I have to work myself up for two weeks just to butcher a cow. I think if more people had been up to their elbows in a warm gut pile, they would be less casual about killing.
Heck, I had to drop a perfectly healthy tree the other week... it was in a dangerous place.

I still, emotionally, regret having to do it, but it had to be done.

This very morning I had to dispose of a pademelon (a small kangaroo) corpse. The poor thing died of natural causes, and took a while to finally pass, but I had to watch it slowly pass away. I've had to have a much loved horse put down, and held him whilst the Vet injected the lethal dose, then buried him.

Rural people look at life differently than coddled Urban people, I suppose.

Fixastuff

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey
They live for stoking anger, FEAR and hatred towards each other.
You are wrong. The media is just capitalism. They are out to make max $$ and fear and shock sells. The only conspiracy is to make more money.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
You are wrong. The media is just capitalism. They are out to make max $$ and fear and shock sells. The only conspiracy is to make more money.
Then why am I wrong?
1. I agree we with you- we live in a capitalist economy (obviously).

2. If we agree that FEAR and another descriptor you use “SHOCK” sells, then where am I wrong and where do we disagree?

3. We both agreed the vehicle the media uses is FEAR. You simply added that they use it to make money. That is a means to an end.
We agree on the “means“, you added the “end”

Hay Dude

Tractor
And there are too darn many weapons available for the hands of those who shouldn't have them.
Mostly stolen. You don’t see a lot of registered firearms being used by their rightful owners to commit crimes.
Most firearms crimes are committed by unlawfully possessed, unregistered, or stolen firearms.
Oh and by the way, If ANYONE (even those related to prominent government figures) fills out a firearms registration form illegally, they should be prosecuted.

Last edited:

Fixastuff

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey
Then why am I wrong?
1. I agree we with you- we live in a capitalist economy (obviously).

2. If we agree that FEAR and another descriptor you use “SHOCK” sells, then where am I wrong and where do we disagree?

3. We both agreed the vehicle the media uses is FEAR. You simply added that they use it to make money. That is a means to an end.
We agree on the “means“, you added the “end”
You're right!

ProfJeff

Tractor
GC1723E
Speaking about Indianapolis specifically, I have family there. For the most part, it's not a bad place to live. Just driving through and spending some time there, you wouldn't think it's the nation's 17th largest city. It's spread out over almost an entire county. As with most large cities, it has it's very wealthy and very poor neighborhoods. Very good, and very poor schools. Very safe and very unsafe areas. Just a typical large urban/suburban area.

Of course, that has nothing to do with what happened at Fedex. That was aparently a 19 year old former employee.

I lived in Indy for 45 years, it's a nice town, I think it's just the outside part of statistics that it happens to have had so many. However, people are, as someone said, looking to be infamous on the way out. If the :mad: media would stop hyping everything and just objectively report the news (remember when news was objective?), we'd have a whole lot less of all of the problems we have.

Macinnis

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT3 57 Cab
The press is a joke. they have their spin and do not hesitate to use it.

I saved two news stories, written by the same person for the same very prominent New York newspaper.

The stories were about 20 years apart, talking about the economy, had some facts and figures about unemployment and gdp, etc. the numbers were within a tenth of a percent apart...so basically the same.

anyway, you have two different stories, talking about two different presidents (one republician, one democrat) with basically the same horrid economy.

it’s was AMAZING how the writer portrayed one president vs the other, one outlook vs the other. All while the facts were either identical, or slightly favored the president with the “brutal” outlook.

like I said, the press is a joke.

PuffyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 3032e
The fault lies with the media for sure, however the reason you see an uptick now is the COVID lockdowns and the emotional toll it is taking on everyone. Prior to this year, mass shootings had been consistently going down, not up. You wouldn’t know that by watching the news however because mass killings = money in the bank for them. In fact the world gets objectively better every year: less war, less poverty, more education, more democracy, more opportunities, etc. That may change with covid but it’s too soon to tell. IMO what we’ll someday find is that the societal cost of locking down for COVID will far surpass the cost had we done nothing but I guess we’ll see.

To add: if you think the world was better “back in my day” then read the book Factfulness. Things were unquestionably and demonstrably worse back in the day, we just have a very different way of being aware of how the world is today vs then, and the way the media works is very different as well.

Hay Dude

Tractor
The fault lies with the media for sure, however the reason you see an uptick now is the COVID lockdowns and the emotional toll it is taking on everyone. Prior to this year, mass shootings had been consistently going down, not up. You wouldn’t know that by watching the news however because mass killings = money in the bank for them. In fact the world gets objectively better every year: less war, less poverty, more education, more democracy, more opportunities, etc. That may change with covid but it’s too soon to tell. IMO what we’ll someday find is that the societal cost of locking down for COVID will far surpass the cost had we done nothing but I guess we’ll see.
“Never let a good crisis go to waste”

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Mostly stolen. You don’t see a lot of registered firearms being used by their rightful owners to commit crimes.
Most firearms crimes are committed by unlawfully possessed, unregistered, or stolen firearms.
Oh and by the way, If ANYONE (even those related to prominent government figures) fills out a firearms registration form illegally, they should be prosecuted.
Until you get to the category of mass shootings. An overwhelmingly large number of mass shooters obtained their firearms legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.