Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #371  
Reminds me of the scene from National Lampoon Vacation movie when Chevy Chase gets lost in the inner city. Wondering around in their station wagon heading on vacation.

Bad thing was - in the movie it was East St. Louis where they got lost!

MoKelly
The Family Truckster! :ROFLMAO:

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #372  
Same reason why I crapped my pants when I ended up getting lost in Camden NJ at 0100 by taking the wrong bridge out of Philly. I don't scare that easy, but when I looked at my surroundings, I was crapping bricks. Came across a cherry top with what looked to be a man with no neck, he took one look at me and pointed which way to get out of dodge.

Swear to God, even at that time of the night, it looked like a war ravaged city.
We must have experienced the same road and cop. Happened to me after the Pearl Jam concert about 25 years ago. We got lost a little while in Camden and thought we wouldnt make it out. Came to the end of a road with cop cars and a barrier and got us back to I-95.
I just left North Philly (bad lands area) an hour ago. Just got home. Cant believe the disparity, just 45 minutes from where I live, which is quiet and safe. 30 miles away and feels like a different world.

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #373  
If a man did his time for his crime, why should he not be allowed to carry a firearm when he is a free man?
I our country, if you serve any time at all you will never be forgiven. It doesn't even matter what the crime was. Any sentence has lifetime consequences. You will have much more difficulty renting or getting a home loan, you can't vote in many states, you will have a more difficult time finding a job, you will run into a wall if you try to adopt a child... it goes on and on. Forgiveness and/or believing someone may actually have reformed is not part of our culture. Many of those non-forgiven people are people who plea bargained for a lesser crime they didn't commit because they felt they had no other choice. It is a pretty sad system we have.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #374  
I our country, if you serve any time at all you will never be forgiven. It doesn't even matter what the crime was. Any sentence has lifetime consequences. You will have much more difficulty renting or getting a home loan, you can't vote in many states, you will have a more difficult time finding a job, you will run into a wall if you try to adopt a child... it goes on and on. Forgiveness and/or believing someone may actually have reformed is not part of our culture. Many of those non-forgiven people are people who plea bargained for a lesser crime they didn't commit because they felt they had no other choice. It is a pretty sad system we have.
I can't speak to your experience, but I've seen more of the opposite extreme. We have a revolving door justice system that keeps putting repeat offenders out on the street with little or no time served.

My SIL's job is in assisting convicted felons with finding employment after they are released, because being employed is strongly correlated with staying out of prison. Those who have any desire to work can get a job and start improving their life. Yes, having a felony conviction makes things tougher, but if I was an employer, that would be part of my hiring decision. I person with a lengthy criminal record in the past is substantially more likely to have a lengthy criminal record in their future.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #375  
Black vs white vs asian vs etc. Is created to distract the people from what really makes life different. Being rich vs being poor.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #376  
Let's not forget utterly incompetent at keeping information secure at times as well (e.g. OPM hack) .......between leakers, hackers and plain old incompetence I've gotten to the point I'm generally not willing to provide any more information than is absolutely necessary to anyone.

...and that's before getting into the corruption or willful disregard for the laws. A few years ago the BATF rescinded the use of a concealed carry permits as an alternative to a NICS checks here in Alabama after it was discovered that (at least) some county sheriffs' office(s?) were issuing concealed carry permits without doing the background check (which was/is required by Alabama law) -- and the offending entities have yet (to my knowledge) to be made public which means the voting public can't hold them accountable.

Which just begs the question: if they can't/won't do the job they're already employed to do, why should they be given any more authority?
I keep saying.....tell me something the govt does well. They can not manage anything properly. As far as gun control. I've also said, that horse has left the barn.

4 or 5 years ago i tried to introduce a program that provides vets with free guitars and free lessons, thru the VA hospital. I had collected 7-8 donated guitars, had another guy signed up to give lessons and I was told, 8 vets ready to go.

The admin at the VA stonewalled me for 1.5 years. I had a few dollars invested and a bunch of trips back and forth. Obviously I didn't mind doing it but a complete waste of time.

The woman in charge of volunteers was 75 lbs over weight, both wrists taped up getting ready for carpo tunnel disability and wasn't gonna do any thing beyond the absolute minimum.

And she had a nasty attitude.

As far as personal info, they did a good job with that also! I literally had to go thru the entire federal employee application process. Security check, I filled out 15 pages of BS and sure as chit, 3 months later the fed govt got hacked and they got ALL my personal info. They gave me 1 year free life lock or something.

Just 1 example of the wrong person in the right place in govt and EVERYTHING stops. That's why it doesn't matter to me who gets elected. It's the entrenched beurocrats that either allow something to happen or just slow down a little bit. Deep state. Only solution is to shrink the govt.

I wish I could comeback in 500 years, if we make it, to see what history has to say about this subject.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #377  
I keep saying.....tell me something the govt does well. They can not manage anything properly. As far as gun control. I've also said, that horse has left the barn.

4 or 5 years ago i tried to introduce a program that provides vets with free guitars and free lessons, thru the VA hospital. I had collected 7-8 donated guitars, had another guy signed up to give lessons and I was told, 8 vets ready to go.

The admin at the VA stonewalled me for 1.5 years. I had a few dollars invested and a bunch of trips back and forth. Obviously I didn't mind doing it but a complete waste of time.

The woman in charge of volunteers was 75 lbs over weight, both wrists taped up getting ready for carpo tunnel disability and wasn't gonna do any thing beyond the absolute minimum.

And she had a nasty attitude.

As far as personal info, they did a good job with that also! I literally had to go thru the entire federal employee application process. Security check, I filled out 15 pages of BS and sure as chit, 3 months later the fed govt got hacked and they got ALL my personal info. They gave me 1 year free life lock or something.

Just 1 example of the wrong person in the right place in govt and EVERYTHING stops. That's why it doesn't matter to me who gets elected. It's the entrenched beurocrats that either allow something to happen or just slow down a little bit. Deep state. Only solution is to shrink the govt.

I wish I could comeback in 500 years, if we make it, to see what history has to say about this subject.

Yeah that sounds about like the typical bureaucrat.
The ONLY thing I have found the government to do a good job on is the National Park System

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #378  
Yeah that sounds about like the typical bureaucrat.
The ONLY thing I have found the government to do a good job on is the National Park System
Yea, i love the parks. there was a pbs show called our national parks, america's best idea. Possibly. In many many areas the management of parks has been contracted out to private companies. In Portland, our dog park went from a chit hole to a nice clean place, almost over nite. I asked the guy. He said a private firm had the contract!

Something tells me the dedicated park ranger and the assistant director of the dept of who cares are very different people. There are 7 miles of federal offices in DC.

It's the structure of govt that is the problem, not the people. People quickly adapt to any system, and then try to milk it blind.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #379  
yeah ....have had my personal info mishandled a few times by the government (and many more by private/corporate entities) - and of course even after incompetence on the part of the government has increased the risk to your life, you're still not permitted to carry for your own personal protection on their installations....

So that's one thing I'll never get: the desire some have to outsource the capability/responsibility for their own safety & well-being.

Oh yeah and when I say "outsource" I don't mean adding supplemental help to assist in maintaining personal safety/well-being (which can make some sense in certain situations) I mean the mindset of "my safety should be ensured by others" that seems to becoming ever more prevalent.

That like of thinking seems a rather foolish since law enforcement can't always protect every individual (even if they have the desire) and they don't have the responsibility to do so either (as court cases have determined). Though on the topic of law enforcement, that mindset becomes outright absurd when taken to the extreme of "I should be able to remain safe even while assaulting law enforcement personnel" that seems to be proliferating. Really makes me wonder where the thinking that law enforcement personnel waived the right to self-defense as a condition of employment originated ---- it's not like body armor makes a person invincible.

Then when applied to the use of objects/products no matter how safe a product is made, or how many warnings are written there's always going to be someone who injures themselves (or others) because they didn't read the instructions and/or just didn't think. ...or in the case of some because they actually wanted to injure themselves or others.

So no matter how well paid, if/when these paid protectors fail they just lose a source of income (if even that much), but you're likely to lose life or limb...

(rant over). .

I'll not get into the absolutely & utter absurdity of the expectation (which some seem to have) that everyone should be willing to fully entrust others with ensuring your own safety & well-being -- particularly since I'm not sure I'd be able to keep that free of vulgarity given that entire concept is more obscene than the most vulgar of profanities.

So I'll just say "no thanks" to fully entrusting my life to someone who knows little to nothing about it and won't being paying the consequences for the outcomes.....

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #380  
Black vs white vs asian vs etc. Is created to distract the people from what really makes life different. Being rich vs being poor.
These folks have money to throw away and they still commit crimes !

NFL player arrests database: Records since 2000​

Status
Not open for further replies.