Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Thing is, with most of us being white in color, do they ever teach this in school on what black people had to endure?

Reality is even in the early to mid 1900's, being black was a pain in the arse.
I have no idea of what life is/was elsewhere but only two white families in the neighborhood growing up in Oakland.

Never gave it a second thought... the black families were just like any other and we shared keys for emergencies... carpooled to school games, etc.

Immediate neighbors were letter carriers, teachers, CPA, Teamster, Warehouse Manager and UPS driver.

Neighbor across the street and very close to mom started as a telephone operator and worked all the way up to regional manager at AT&T and I enjoyed family day there and at the Toyota plant where another neighbor was in operations...

Mayor, Council, Representatives African American... the police officer that came to our school in the 60's also African American... I really enjoyed the open question and answer sessions and the class visit to Police Headquarters and Court system where I put on judges robes and presided over a mock trail with real prosecutor and public defender making motions for me to rule on...

The judges sponsoring both went on to become State Supreme Court Judges.

Dad grew up in Oakland and his public school in the 30's and 40's was fully integrated...

I'm guessing my experience is a typical for the period?

Last edited:

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
A great example of individuals in positions of authority who had little regard for human life (or issues with seeing others as human because they were "different"). ....something that's been experienced by every race (or even nationality) throughout history.
It is a shame we do not teach more history in school regarding other countries. It is normal to focus on one's country, state, locality but looking over the horizon can be very educational and put things in perspective.

This is a long post, and I am trying to cram centuries of complicated history from multiple countries in one post, so bear with me. :)

The US used to be very biased against Catholics. This was for several reasons, one of which that Catholics came from certain countries that were looked down on by the established people in the US. For instance, Irish and Italians. This was bias against people from those countries for whatever reason, but also because they were Catholics and not Protestants.

It was not that long ago, that a man was running for US president who was a Catholic and the concern was that he would answer to the Pope and not The People.

We forget, or maybe think, that the conflicts between Catholic and Protestant are history. They are in some parts of the world, but in others, the conflict still exists, or at a minimum, the results of conflict from centuries ago, still resonate, reverberate and cause violence to this day.

The Irish flag is green, white and orange. Those colors are important and matter.

Since Henry the VIIIth had split with the Catholic church and formed the Church of England, a Protestant organization, there had been conflict, often very bloody warfare, between the Catholics and Protestants. This pretty much ended when William the Orange, who was from the Netherlands, was invited to be the UK King because the current King, James II had converted to Catholicism and married an Italian, Catholic princess, and it was worried that James would try to force his faith on a nation that was almost all Protestant. So William of Orange landed in the UK and took the crown while James fled. It was a peaceful coup.

However, what was NOT peaceful, was that William then went to Ireland, but a quick history of Ireland prior to William...

Ireland had been invaded by many peoples over time but the Normans started to invade Ireland after taking over England and this would continue for centuries until Ireland was completely subjucated. This took centuries of war, massacres, famines, and horrible depopulation of Ireland. During one of the English Civil Wars, Cromwell invaded Ireland in 1649, and as a result of his invasion, ethnic cleansing, massacres, shipping people off to the sugar plantations as slaves, war induced famine and plague, estimates are that up to 85% of the population died. Cromwell is still "remembered" in Ireland today.

The better known potato famine reduced the Irish population by about 25%. With half that number leaving the country and other other half dying. This was in the 1850s.

Of of the reasons the potato famine was so bad was that after the Cromwell invasion, so many of the Irish landowners were simply killed, sold as slaves, or forced to march to the very poor land in south west Ireland, in the middle of winter, with little to no provisions. The soldiers in Cromwell's army were rewarded Irish land for their service. Furthermore, to fund the war in Ireland, people bought shares in the war, hoping for victory, and when they had that victory, they wanted their money and reward, which was the land and houses of the loosing Irish. The Cromwell invasion was very much a religious war against between the Catholics and the Protestants. A few centuries later, when the potato famine happened, these landowners were still "English" who, in many cases, still looked down on the Irish. During the famine Ireland was still exporting food to the rest of the UK...

Back to William of Orange. William's invasion ended Irish rebellion led by the remaining/surviving Irish land owning leadership against the British. At the Battle of the Boyne July 12, 1690, the Irish and James II Catholic forces were defeated. The Irish leaders that could, fled to the continent, as did James. July 12th is a VERY important date that is still causing issues to this day.

How does this matter today? Glad Ye Asked. 😁

Prior to the recent death of Prince Phillip, there had been 10 days of rioting in Northern Ireland. The rioting was a result of the long running conflict between Catholic/Republican and Protestant/Loyalist groups that was triggered by how Brexit is being handled, lack of punishment for a funeral that appeared to be in violation of pandemic rules from a Catholic/Republican group, and the EU's invoking a part of the Brexit agreement to go after the UK. The EU quickly ended the invocation but the damage was done and rioting started soon after. The rioting was quickly getting worse and it only stopped as a result of Phillip's death. Will the rioting start up next week is a good question...

Northern Ireland was created out of six counties who were populated mostly by Protestants. Well, four counties were mostly Protestants, but the Irish government was out thought by the UK government. Again. The Troubles started in the late 1960s as a result of the civil right abuses against the Catholics by the Protestants that had been going on for centuries. In the Cromwellian time, Catholics in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England were not allowed to own land, vote, serve in the military, etc. There were riots were hundreds and thousands of Catholics were massacred in England. Eventually, in 1829, after great debate, and political turmoil, Catholics were emancipated. However, even with emancipation, abuse continued against Catholics across the UK, not just in Ireland. Catholics in Northern Ireland did not get the best jobs, only the poorest paying and unwanted jobs. They had no political power, by design of the creation of Northern Ireland, as well as how voting was set up. Only ONE person could vote per house hold. Think about that one! 😁 Protestants were given preference for public housing, which was bad enough, but many Catholic homes had two or three generations of voters in the house, but only one could vote. This overcrowding, and thus vote suppression, did not happen often to Protestant families.

So, in the late 1960s, the Catholics started to protest against the unfair treatment they endured in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately, it did not take long for violence to break out and the British Army shot a couple dozen people, killing 14. This started The Troubles that lasted for a couple of decades. While worst of the violence ended as a result of the Good Friday agreement, the embers of the violence still exist.

Back to the Battle of the Boyne. The Loyalist/Protestants celebrate the 12th of July to this day. There are clubs called the Orange Order all over Northern Ireland. This is a Protestant/Loyalist organization that marches during the Marching Season in remembrance of the 12th of July. The Order parades with Marching Bands, as well as the rank and file of the organization, through their own neighborhoods but also try to march in Catholic/Republican areas. This would be like the KKK marching through a black neighborhood. The government tries to block these particular marches through the Catholic/Republican areas but sometimes the marches seem to get through. These marches happen all over Northern Ireland during the Marching Season.

They also have bonfires. Now, these are not wee, little fires where one roasts a hot dog or marsh mellow. They are huge structures made of pallets that are stacked four, five, six stories tall. They are HUGE. They don't always build the bonfires in safe areas either. I saw images of one bonfire, in a city, near a major, tower hotel, that if the fire had fallen the wrong way it might very well have burned down the hotel. One should ask WHY, the government allows this to happen? The reality is that they cannot stop the bonfires or the marches. Houses have burned down because of these bonfires. I have seen video and images of firefighters responding to a bonfire, not to put it out, but to spray water on the structures AROUND the bonfire to keep them from catching fire. If the fire department tries to put out the bonfire, their hoses will be cut, trucks attacked, and worse. So they let the fires burn.

There are Peace Walls in Northern Ireland. These are tall walls keeping the Catholic/Republican and Protestant/Loyalist separated. Some of the Peace Walls have been torn down but surveys indicate that most people see the need for the Peace Walls for years to come. :( Schooling in Northern Ireland is very segregated. The vast majority of Catholics and Protestants kids go to different schools...

The police in Northern Ireland, PSNI, is almost completely Protestant. That Catholics do not trust the PSNI. Period. For valid historical reasons. The PSNI has tried to recruit Catholics but with out much success. One Catholic did join thinking that the PSNI needs to have Catholics and needs to build trust with Catholics. He was right. But his Catholic friends warned him off joining the PNSI. He stayed with it. He got in his car one day to go to work and a bomb went out putting him in a wheel chair for life. The bomb really should have killed him but he some how survived.

The Irish flag is green, white and orange.

Green represents the Catholics, while orange represents the Protestants, and white is for the idea that there can be peace between the two groups...

The Irish flag is green, white and orange.

Later,
Dan

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744
A shooting in Kenosha WI that left 3 dead this morning and another in Austin TX that left 3 dead today. I'm blaming all of us. I truly think it will take all of us to work together to act in a more friendly manner. It would be a tough thing to accomplish but wouldn't it be nice to make the world a better place? I really wonder what kind of world we are leaving future generations. Just because we can act with hate and anger doesn't mean we should.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
A shooting in Kenosha WI that left 3 dead this morning and another in Austin TX that left 3 dead today. I'm blaming all of us. I truly think it will take all of us to work together to act in a more friendly manner. It would be a tough thing to accomplish but wouldn't it be nice to make the world a better place? I really wonder what kind of world we are leaving future generations. Just because we can act with hate and anger doesn't mean we should.
After one of the many HS shootings a student was quoted as lamenting "Oh Great. Now we have to be nice to everybody." I pointed that out on another site and got jumped all over by one poster; she called it "Blackmail at the point of a gun". To her credit though she didn't agree with anything I ever posted, often "flagging" me for no reason except to control the discussion.

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
Human nature seems to preclude your altruistic wishes... I'm wondering if we are what we are?

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
If everybody got along, there would be some extremely miserible people and organizationss that are out to conquer, by dividing and sowing hate.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Why doesn’t the guy just kill himself?
Too long to post, but an interesting perspective in this article.

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
Human nature seems to preclude your altruistic wishes... I'm wondering if we are what we are?

It may, but isn't the whole point of a culture/society (particularly one claiming to be "civilized") an attempt to grow beyond our base nature?

If not and striving for more isn't worth it, then why not just go back to the more animalistic modes of interaction where we whack each other over the head with sticks and stones and anarchy & tribalism are the order of the day and might makes right?

Not saying we all have to get along or agree with each other all the time (I don't even do that with myself - especially if/when I haven't had the time to think/consider a matter), but just striving to do resolve differences in a less violent manner and attempting to advance humanity (and not just technology).

Sort of gets to the fundamental purpose of debate/discussion since different people will have different perspectives - and the differences aren't always visible. A great example of that would be the question: "what temperature is cold?" someone who spent much their life among the snow & ice will have a very different answer than someone who's lived in the tropics/sub-tropics. Have actually had some fun and interesting conversations start with that seemingly simple question.

Can't say that I know the answer of whether striving for more is "worth it" for anyone other than me ...and I don't know that I should be deciding for others. So as part of that it also seems quite evident that morality can't be legislated, but has to be learned and embraced by individuals.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
It may, but isn't the whole point of a culture/society (particularly one claiming to be "civilized") an attempt to grow beyond our base nature?

If not and striving for more isn't worth it, then why not just go back to the more animalistic modes of interaction where we whack each other over the head with sticks and stones and anarchy & tribalism are the order of the day and might makes right?

Not saying we all have to get along or agree with each other all the time (I don't even do that with myself - especially if/when I haven't had the time to think/consider a matter), but just striving to do resolve differences in a less violent manner and attempting to advance humanity (and not just technology).

Sort of gets to the fundamental purpose of debate/discussion since different people will have different perspectives - and the differences aren't always visible. A great example of that would be the question: "what temperature is cold?" someone who spent much their life among the snow & ice will have a very different answer than someone who's lived in the tropics/sub-tropics. Have actually had some fun and interesting conversations start with that seemingly simple question.

Can't say that I know the answer of whether striving for more is "worth it" for anyone other than me ...and I don't know that I should be deciding for others. So as part of that it also seems quite evident that morality can't be legislated, but has to be learned and embraced by individuals.
Sticks and stones replaced with social media virtue signaling and calling one another “racist” or other names to destroy their opponent. Tribalism alive and well.
Today it’s a high tech, white collar lynching, as Clarence Thomas once said (paraphrasing).
My “favorite” are the ones calling names & doing harm all the while virtue signaling by attending church, donning a cross, volunteering at a soup kitchen.

Yesterday it was flooding your basement, today it’s destroy through social media. It’s the same result-harming your fellow man, not helping him.

Last edited:

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
Nailed it. Hate, division, racism and violence sells advertising.
yep, and it'll probably continue that way until it blows up in the face of those profiting off of it - and even then it'll have to be bad enough they learn the lesson (and expirences the consequences for themselves at a personal level).

Though unfortunately even if/when that happens the lesson will (most likely) soon be forgotten/ignored/disregarded by the following generations and the whole bloody cycle repeats itself over and over.

YanmarFever

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010C- Branson 4520r- 5520C- Yanmar FX235-D - Bad Boy rogue mower
1618796110705.png

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
Sticks and stones replaced with social media virtue signaling and calling one another “racist” to destroy their opponent. Tribalism alive and well.
Today it’s a high tech, white collar lynching, as Clarence Thomas once said (or something close to that-paraphrasing)
...and then people get surprised when it spills over into sticks, stones, and all other manner of weapons (to include the bare fist and foot). :rolleyes:

When considered from that perspective it's truly a miracle humans have managed to pull off the technological achievements we have given how anti-social society/individuals can be ..... (granted some of that anti-social behavior was also one of the driving factors for some technologies since in developing better sticks & stones to whack each other over the head with - some advancements had/have other useful purposes).

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
This is not POLITICAL at all, its just the facts.
I believe someone had an agenda to further separate the people of this country.
The figures dont lie.
View attachment 695226
How do folks define “mass”. The media calls everything mass - but what is mass? More than 1? Over 5?
MoKelly

gsganzer

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I believe the generally agreed upon metric for a "mass shooting" is 4 or more victims.

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
My point is, according to the statistics (which always make me a bit skeptical), a cop is 18 times more likely to be shot to death by a black man than a black man being shot by a cop......yet when’s the last time you heard extensive media narrative about cops being mass murdered by black men? I haven’t heard really anything outside of officer Daniel Faulkner being murdered by Mumia Abu Jamal back in 1980.
No, the majority narrative is the other way around.
The numbers-to-narrative/outrage don’t make sense.
I always count on my fingers when I run across statistics like that. Cops gun down about 1000 people a year. Without splitting them up by race, that would mean 18,000 cops are shot to death each year. A quick google finds that 49 cops died by gunfire in the US in 2020.

Your statistic is just racist hate propaganda.

Maxify

Tractor
MF 825
We have a mental health crisis in this country.
That, coupled with a moral compass omission.
When the morality of a nation is on a sliding scale there is no right or wrong.
There is only my right and your wrong. (Grammar error intentional)
Then, all we're left with is a struggle for power and Big Brother will come and straighten it all for us.
George Orwell: 1984

ikoflexer

Tractor
case 226

I wonder why this human nature you speak of applies to such great extent to America, still the greatest country in the world. Why aren't there nearly as many mass shootings, or worse, school shootings in any of the not so great countries on Earth? Are they all spineless people suppressed by their governments because they don't all have so many guns? Or they don't have mentally ill people?

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
Sorry but “being more friendly” would not have stopped the killing in Austin at any point.

two_bit_score

Tractor
I wonder why this human nature you speak of applies to such great extent to America, still the greatest country in the world. Why aren't there nearly as many mass shootings, or worse, school shootings in any of the not so great countries on Earth? Are they all spineless people suppressed by their governments because they don't all have so many guns? Or they don't have mentally ill people?
In most of those countries the governments do the mass killing.

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
This is an exceptional post:

I would like to discuss the portion I highlighted, and this:

I believe the ailment America and most of the west suffers from is multifaceted but the main component is media, with a large sub-component being social media. For the older population probably the "news" is the biggest factor and for the younger population probably social media is the bigger factor. Those in the middle suffer a double whammy.

I quit following "the news" a few years and my mental health improved significantly. But I still had a fly in my ointment. It got worse over time. After covid hit, it was downward spiral. I couldn't believe half the population is so stupid because they believe "this" and the other half is so stupid because they believe "that." And I couldn't believe how hateful they all were in throwing their ideologies at each other. The world seemed like not such a great place.

So before getting to the mental state where I was ready to quit the world, I quit the thing that was influencing me to think how bad it is*. Since then, my only "social media" experience is forums like this, and I mostly stick to the technical threads and leave threads like this unread. The only reason I skimmed this is one to see if anyone brought up the reason why "going postal" is a term.

Since then, I have been a much happier person. Since then I have more time for things that matter. Since then I experience the world as it is, not as how Facebook wants me to think it is. Which brings me to:

* In case you didn't know, Facebook AI curates your feed to show things that it knows will get you fired up. They've figured out that things which make your blood boil, generate more engagement (more ads seen, more money made) than pictures of cute kittens. They give you just enough cute kittens to keep you from feeling like it's an absolute cesspool of rank butthurt, but in fact, it's an absolute cesspool of rank butthurt. ON PURPOSE. Facebook is a cancer of society and I think it and every other social media platform plays an appreciable yet unfortunately unquantifiable role in nearly every major tragedy like this one.

Please, quit social medial. You will be glad you did. It matters not how many uplifting memes you read, share, or re-share. You're playing a game that is rigged against you and they wellbeing of society, and you're just a pawn.
I have noticed that many people are not good at reality. The World Wide Web is a web of lies, but it is also a point of access to experts in every field. I limit the number of lunatics in my Facebook feed by unfriending and/or blocking them. I have a couple cousins who have drunk the Kool-Aid, and keep them around because we're related, but if the rest of them start pumping the propaganda machine I dispose of them.

Keeping contact with my friends over social media has been an important survival skill during the pandemic. Those friends are young parents involved in raising children, professional musicians who have seen their livelihood vanish as public venues shut down, other dog owners and dog raisers, etc. Sometimes I pick up a phone, or video call.

Thanks to Facebook contacts I met a noted artist who has been the subject of TV specials and has done museum shows. He was living in the ghost town of Andrews near the Nevada border. He had a standard poodle with Addison's disease, and was 3.5 hours from the nearest vet. He chose our place to re-home his dog because he could not care for her there. It turned into a friendship. In the next couple of weeks I will buy a tapestry from him that is the artists copy and one of two. He designed the painting, and then it was shipped to China, where skilled craftswomen wove intricate details into the fabric one thread at a time. My wife and I have been art collectors for decades, and, where possible, buy directly from the artist. Without social media this would never have been possible.

I agree that the mass of Facebook is just propaganda memes. If people can't create their own content, I don't keep them as friends. Most of the memes are lies. Some of them have been carefully crafted by professional propagandists to seem credible, but taken as a whole they warp people's perception of reality.

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
Please don't think me stupid enough to not realize that being a LEO is a very dangerous job.
Being a cop comes in at around #17 on a list of the most dangerous jobs. OSHA keeps stats. The guy nailing down shingles on your house has a better chance of being killed or crippled on the job than a cop. The really dangerous jobs are commercial fishing, logging, and farming. The guy who collects your garbage has a more dangerous job than a cop.

The problem with police work is not the danger, it's the confrontation. A continual diet of crap from the people they deal with drives them crazy. Militarization of police forces doesn't help, because they hire officers who learned police actions on the streets of Kandahar, who perceive any confrontation as potentially deadly.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
12 of my high school friends went right into law enforcement with 2 year degrees and academy...

It tends to be a very close knit group... Been to a few get togethers where I was the only non Leo there and it is when they can speak freely... even a private Face Book post can lead to dismissal

They worry about bringing the job home and more than a few had spouses opt out...

I recommend citizen rise along if offered... between Oakland and neighboring cities and Sheriff it really puts things into prospective.. not sure how many would react being spit on and taunted...

Most say we can do this the hard way or easy way... some take that to heart and heard one say you kill me and my family will be rich and you might as well be dead because your life is over...

stuckmotor

Elite Member
Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
You have no idea. I was reading something about China, and in areas where you already couldn't breath, they set up GIANT incinerators, and some other mind blowing unhealthy complex, I can't think of.
I go outside and all that fresh air hurts my nose! lol
In the 70s or 80s the next county over had a ramp leading to a giant incinerator for dump trucks to back up, schools and department stores had smaller incinerators too, not to mention the burn barrels in people's back yards. It's difficult to believe now.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
I always count on my fingers when I run across statistics like that. Cops gun down about 1000 people a year. Without splitting them up by race, that would mean 18,000 cops are shot to death each year. A quick google finds that 49 cops died by gunfire in the US in 2020.

Your statistic is just racist hate propaganda.

no, it’s not, because you failed to account for the fact that there’s far fewer cops in America (635,781) than black men (20.4 million). Its not a “1 to 1” ratio. Your math formula is incorrect.
This is a prime example of how we are being brainwashed with false media narratives every day, then the resulting comment “just racist hate propaganda“ follows. As a result people start hating each other. It’s unnecessary and spreads more hate.

Bloomberg 2015:
According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, 18 law enforcement officers were killed by Black men that year. According to the Washington Post’s database of police killings, which a BJS survey found to be pretty accurate, 36 unarmed Black men were killed by the police. There were 635,781 police officers and sheriff’s deputies in the U.S. in 2015, according to the FBI, and 20.4 million Black men, according to the Census Bureau. I’m not quite sure how Mac Donald ascertained how many of the nation’s Black men were unarmed, but I just assumed they all were.

In both cases the odds of being killed were quite small: 2.8 deaths per 100,000 in the case of police and 0.18 for unarmed Black men. Divide the former by the latter and you get a ratio of 16, close enough to Mac Donald’s 18.5”

And once again, for the record, they aren’t MY statistics. They are Heather MacDonalds from her book ”The War on Cops” and they have been researched and critiqued pretty thoroughly.

If the cops shoot one person undeservedly, it’s a tragedy, but not teaching all citizens to comply during an arrest resulting in a police shooting or worse, a death is also a tragedy. And it’s mostly preventable.

Last edited:

Hay Dude

Tractor
I saw post 136, but other than seeing what appears to be a white man with a AR type rifle, you gave NO information on it other than a date.

What I think is if the shooter hand't been killed in a shootout with cops later, he should of been killed. What do you honestly think my reaction should be?

Please don't think me stupid enough to not realize that being a LEO is a very dangerous job.

However, I would also respectfully argue that just because a man willingly takes on a dangerous job, that same job should not infringe upon those rights of the people he's supposed to be protecting.

At the end of the day, I suspect good LEO's outnumber the bad ones by a good margin, it's just the bad ones make the news over the last decade due to technology.

Deamonizing the police by the general pubic is no different than the general public deamonizing the Terrier's breed group in dogs or guys that actually own guns because they like to shoot, even if they're "evil" black rifles.
I didn’t infer that you are stupid at all, maybe a bit emotional, but that’s understandable

When you say “infringe upon rights”, not sure what you mean. When you are pulled over on suspicion of something, you don’t have the “rights” to fight with cops, resist arrest, or drive off. Not without more serious consequences. That’s how citizens and cops get hurt or killed. I agree that cops going crazy on someone for an unregistered vehicle or minor traffic violation isn’t right, either.

The inference I am trying to make with the New Mexico cop is that the “news” media is not giving equal air time to cops being killed by citizens as time is given (practically a non stop running loop) of cops killing citizens. And plenty of cops are being assaulted and killed by citizens.

5 Dallas cops were murdered a few years back, and little to no acknowledgement for their sacrifice was given. Dallas Police 'Ambush': 12 Officers Shot, 5 Killed During Protest

The media reports are fewer and smaller when a cop is killed and although they have no more rights than an ordinary citizen, they should have the right to be covered equally by the media when they are murdered.
One other point I would like to make is when Mayors of major cities allow their police forces to be drenched in buckets of water, spit on, cruel insults hurled at them and humiliated in other ways, it opens the door for further, more violent acts. Those acts are now pervasive in our society. Why not make some time to encourage citizens to not resist arrest?
The same clowns who will then call the police to help them when they are in trouble.
Cops are getting a raw deal in the media. Yes, the bad ones should be weeded out, but the good ones are holding the line between us and anarchy. When our leaders refer to them as “storm troopers” “racist”, and other negative connotations like that are used, it’s shameful painting of a group with a very broad brush.
When our “leaders” degrade and dehumanize cops, isnt disrespect and resisting arrest a logical next step?
Maybe our ”leaders” are fueling the fire of citizens being killed by cops?

Last edited:

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Add to that all manor of disease and contagion on the streets today...

Coming from a hospital environment and all of the precautions in place makes me wonder why First Responders are willing to do the job but this also goes sewer and sanitation workers too.

Dad said several things that resonate... only one chance to make a good impression and don't provide an excuse for bad things to happen...

There are enough crazy people out there as it is...

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
Several of these posts have reminded me of what one officer I worked with (worked as a dispatcher through college) said when someone drove past and waved at him and another officer. The other officer asked him if he knew the individuals and he responded along the lines of "if they were waving with all five fingers probably not".

He was actually a pretty decent guy who had worked both law enforcement and paramedic/ambulance crew. He (along with many of the other officers) had accrued some interesting stories.

The mentioning of militarization of the police forces arguably goes beyond the equipment and could/should likely include the hiring of former military police directly into civilian police agencies. Not always a bad thing, but there's definitely a difference in the two jobs and the population they're working law enforcement around.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
no, it’s not, because you failed to account for the fact that there’s far fewer cops in America (635,781) than black men (20.4 million). Its not a “1 to 1” ratio. Your math formula is incorrect.
This is a prime example of how we are being brainwashed with false media narratives every day, then the resulting comment “just racist hate propaganda“ follows. As a result people start hating each other. It’s unnecessary and spreads more hate.

Bloomberg 2015:
According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, 18 law enforcement officers were killed by Black men that year. According to the Washington Post’s database of police killings, which a BJS survey found to be pretty accurate, 36 unarmed Black men were killed by the police. There were 635,781 police officers and sheriff’s deputies in the U.S. in 2015, according to the FBI, and 20.4 million Black men, according to the Census Bureau. I’m not quite sure how Mac Donald ascertained how many of the nation’s Black men were unarmed, but I just assumed they all were.

In both cases the odds of being killed were quite small: 2.8 deaths per 100,000 in the case of police and 0.18 for unarmed Black men. Divide the former by the latter and you get a ratio of 16, close enough to Mac Donald’s 18.5”

And once again, for the record, they aren’t MY statistics. They are Heather MacDonalds from her book ”The War on Cops” and they have been researched and critiqued pretty thoroughly.

If the cops shoot one person undeservedly, it’s a tragedy, but not teaching all citizens to comply during an arrest resulting in a police shooting or worse, a death is also a tragedy. And it’s mostly preventable.
Don't ever complain again about me or anyone else posting links. :ROFLMAO:

ikoflexer

Tractor
case 226
In most of those countries the governments do the mass killing.

Poor swedes, danes, dutch, and so many other "democracies", butchered in mass by their own brutal dictators and not able to stand up to the oppression because they can't buy guns at the convenience store with not more than a smile.

The problem is not having a gun culture as much as having a sick gun culture. This will never change in the US, in my opinion.

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
Well, our leaders here on TBN seem to do it all the time.
”When in Rome.....”
Just me I think I'd prefer to do as the Romans did (i.e. the same thing everywhere they went and those who didn't like it.....well, they had a problem that was theirs) 😇

Though seeing as how a couple branches of my family seem to have originated from places that held off the Roman Empire, and one branch apparently from the region that played a part in bringing the Roman Empire to an end ..... this "barbarian" may have inherited a few traits 😁😇

Hay Dude

Tractor
Seems to be a good idea to post the source of the information.
Depends on who the sources are.
”Sources” can be extremely tainted and unreliable.
I prefer math sources over emotion/hyperbole sources

Hay Dude

Tractor
Poor swedes, danes, dutch, and so many other "democracies", butchered in mass by their own brutal dictators and not able to stand up to the oppression because they can't buy guns at the convenience store with not more than a smile.

The problem is not having a gun culture as much as having a sick gun culture. This will never change in the US, in my opinion.
Little late now, but education would be my first solution, rather than indoctrination in schools. What our children are being taught (nothing), especially in the inner cities, is pathetic Stricter criminalization of straw gun purchases and gun resales, etc could be helpful.
Ive purchased at least 20 guns with stringent background checks, waiting periods.

Last edited:

jjp8182

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560

🤔... guessing you haven't bought a firearm in the US in the last couple decades (i.e. since the implementation of NICS)? or was that an attempt at sarcasm that just fell flat? (can be hard to tell from text alone)

Not sure why it's always "gun culture" that's viewed to be the issue either (not exactly like all gun owners/holders are a part of one single culture either), of course personally I don't understand people wanting to blame inanimate objects for the choices/actions of people either, but I guess that'll never change either.....

Would also seem to be hard to say that they're won't be clashes among different cultures (which have nothing to do with differences in race) - so the less homogeneous a nation becomes the more potential for clashes escalate to become physical in nature..... which seems to be a growing concern/issue(?) in many of the countries you listed. 🤷‍♂️

ikoflexer

Tractor
case 226
Little late now, but education would be my first solution, rather than indoctrination in schools. What our children are being taught (nothing), especially in the inner cities, is pathetic Stricter criminalization of straw gun purchases and gun resales, etc could be helpful.

I agree with you. Nothing can replace a sound education from the parents. Good values, loving family, can put the basis for emotional stability and coping skills.

Besides mental illness, however poorly defined as it may be, there's also radicalization. You know, it doesn't affect only islamists. Seeing life only in black white is an acquired thing.

I also wonder how much profit the arms producers are making from fear mongering and societal division. Is it possible that they have an influence on mass media and government? Look at the price and availability of guns and ammo since covid started. The arms producers are probably sending baskets of flowers to the Wuhan lab.

two_bit_score

Tractor

Ok so you are anti-second amendment for the USA. I get it now.

ikoflexer

Tractor
case 226
Ok so you are anti-second amendment for the USA. I get it now.

What you just said is a good example black and white thinking. I am not against the second amendment.

Thinking in extreme terms will only lead to disasters.

I'm Canadian, I like many things about the US, and have no idea how one can reduce these atrocities. But it's a fact that it happens a lot more in the US than any other part of the world. It's very sad to see inocent people gunned down.

Last edited:

two_bit_score

Tractor
S
What you just said is a good example black and white thinking. I am not against the second amendment.

Thinking in extreme terms will only lead to disasters.
So you aren’t really against it, you just want to chip away at it until the USA is ”like Denmark”. You know, one of those really “nice” countries which only can exist because of US protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.