Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #41  
They live for stoking anger, FEAR and hatred towards each other.
You are wrong. The media is just capitalism. They are out to make max $$ and fear and shock sells. The only conspiracy is to make more money.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #42  
You are wrong. The media is just capitalism. They are out to make max $$ and fear and shock sells. The only conspiracy is to make more money.
Then why am I wrong?
1. I agree we with you- we live in a capitalist economy (obviously).

2. If we agree that FEAR and another descriptor you use “SHOCK” sells, then where am I wrong and where do we disagree?

3. We both agreed the vehicle the media uses is FEAR. You simply added that they use it to make money. That is a means to an end.
We agree on the “means“, you added the “end”

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #43  
And there are too darn many weapons available for the hands of those who shouldn't have them.
Mostly stolen. You don’t see a lot of registered firearms being used by their rightful owners to commit crimes.
Most firearms crimes are committed by unlawfully possessed, unregistered, or stolen firearms.
Oh and by the way, If ANYONE (even those related to prominent government figures) fills out a firearms registration form illegally, they should be prosecuted.

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #44  
Then why am I wrong?
1. I agree we with you- we live in a capitalist economy (obviously).

2. If we agree that FEAR and another descriptor you use “SHOCK” sells, then where am I wrong and where do we disagree?

3. We both agreed the vehicle the media uses is FEAR. You simply added that they use it to make money. That is a means to an end.
We agree on the “means“, you added the “end”
You're right!

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #45  
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #46  
Speaking about Indianapolis specifically, I have family there. For the most part, it's not a bad place to live. Just driving through and spending some time there, you wouldn't think it's the nation's 17th largest city. It's spread out over almost an entire county. As with most large cities, it has it's very wealthy and very poor neighborhoods. Very good, and very poor schools. Very safe and very unsafe areas. Just a typical large urban/suburban area.

Of course, that has nothing to do with what happened at Fedex. That was aparently a 19 year old former employee.

I lived in Indy for 45 years, it's a nice town, I think it's just the outside part of statistics that it happens to have had so many. However, people are, as someone said, looking to be infamous on the way out. If the :mad: media would stop hyping everything and just objectively report the news (remember when news was objective?), we'd have a whole lot less of all of the problems we have.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #47  
The press is a joke. they have their spin and do not hesitate to use it.

I saved two news stories, written by the same person for the same very prominent New York newspaper.

The stories were about 20 years apart, talking about the economy, had some facts and figures about unemployment and gdp, etc. the numbers were within a tenth of a percent apart...so basically the same.

anyway, you have two different stories, talking about two different presidents (one republician, one democrat) with basically the same horrid economy.

it’s was AMAZING how the writer portrayed one president vs the other, one outlook vs the other. All while the facts were either identical, or slightly favored the president with the “brutal” outlook.

like I said, the press is a joke.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #48  
The fault lies with the media for sure, however the reason you see an uptick now is the COVID lockdowns and the emotional toll it is taking on everyone. Prior to this year, mass shootings had been consistently going down, not up. You wouldn’t know that by watching the news however because mass killings = money in the bank for them. In fact the world gets objectively better every year: less war, less poverty, more education, more democracy, more opportunities, etc. That may change with covid but it’s too soon to tell. IMO what we’ll someday find is that the societal cost of locking down for COVID will far surpass the cost had we done nothing but I guess we’ll see.

To add: if you think the world was better “back in my day” then read the book Factfulness. Things were unquestionably and demonstrably worse back in the day, we just have a very different way of being aware of how the world is today vs then, and the way the media works is very different as well.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #49  
The fault lies with the media for sure, however the reason you see an uptick now is the COVID lockdowns and the emotional toll it is taking on everyone. Prior to this year, mass shootings had been consistently going down, not up. You wouldn’t know that by watching the news however because mass killings = money in the bank for them. In fact the world gets objectively better every year: less war, less poverty, more education, more democracy, more opportunities, etc. That may change with covid but it’s too soon to tell. IMO what we’ll someday find is that the societal cost of locking down for COVID will far surpass the cost had we done nothing but I guess we’ll see.
“Never let a good crisis go to waste”

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #50  
Mostly stolen. You don’t see a lot of registered firearms being used by their rightful owners to commit crimes.
Most firearms crimes are committed by unlawfully possessed, unregistered, or stolen firearms.
Oh and by the way, If ANYONE (even those related to prominent government figures) fills out a firearms registration form illegally, they should be prosecuted.
Until you get to the category of mass shootings. An overwhelmingly large number of mass shooters obtained their firearms legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.