Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #71  
I think everyone here would agree that if that is your definition of mentally ill then all mass murderers are mentally ill.
But apparently the FBI thinks differently.
The Founding Fathers should have explained:

better.
I think all citizens should be required to serve in the "armed forces" similar to the Israel system. With a mandatory training in small arms.
I have had similar thoughts. It's time to regulate the militia. Any male between the ages of 18 and 50 who owns a firearm should be required to muster for a 2 week training every year. It's right there in black and white. If you own a firearm, you are in the militia, subject to the orders of your governor. Any hooties running around with firearms who disobey those orders should be prosecuted under the UCMJ. Too many people think their rights come without responsibilities.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #72  
I have had similar thoughts. It's time to regulate the militia. Any male between the ages of 18 and 50 who owns a firearm should be required to muster for a 2 week training every year. It's right there in black and white. If you own a firearm, you are in the militia, subject to the orders of your governor. Any hooties running around with firearms who disobey those orders should be prosecuted under the UCMJ. Too many people think their rights come without responsibilities.
So, what you're saying is if you own a firearm, which is what most Americans believe as a God given right, you are under the orders of your government and if you don't follow those orders, you don't have a right to own a firearm?

The problem with balancing everyones individual freedoms is that it can be a be itch sometimes.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #73  
So, if the media is to fault, why has the public turned into sheeple? Why do the people let other's think for them and why do they believe them? The media doesn't control me as I can do further research or turn the channel. If I do a crime, I will be the one to blame. Many people seem to think you can always blame someone else for what they do.
Poor education and group think. “Racism” is also used as an influencer.
”If you don’t agree with me, you are a racist” has more power to influence people than you’ll ever understand

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #74  
I believe you're wrong, but I don't have any data to back my line of thinking.

I think general crime committed with firarms may have the gun unregistered to the actual shooter, but when it comes to "mass shootings", I'm thinking most firearms are legally owned by the shooter or the shooters family that the shooter had access to.

Just thinking out loud with no data again, between handguns and rifles, I'd think you'll find a higher percentage of illegally obtain handguns over rifles per how the weapons were obtained by the shooter.
All falls back to the definition of “mentally ill” and who’s crime statistics you believe.
We have a few TBN members whose first reaction to a statement is to start cutting and pasting articles and statistics. That’s fine, so long as you understand theres reasons behind creating those articles and statistics. 99% of the time it’s to shape public opinion.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #75  
Come on fellas, let’s get real.....
Nobody in their right mind will take a gun and shoot multiple people. Its an act of pure insanity. Only other reason could be religious fanaticism, which is an act of religious warfare.

We are actually to believe the FBI when they say only 25% of mass shooting perpetrators are insane?

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #76  
Thanks to Roe v. Wade, people have a right to medical privacy, which extends to psychiatric treatment. Unless a therapist believes their patient is an imminent threat, they are forbidden to contact the police. A history of mental illness rarely shows up on the FBI background check. The only information is provided by the purchaser in a check box. If they say they are not a drunk, druggie, or lunatic, their approval sails right on through.

Not that the United States provides treatment for mental illness. It's an invisible affliction. We have all met our share of crazies. Most of them are harmless. Some are not.
And if that is the case, the vaunted FBI statistic of “25% of mass murderers are mentally ill“ statistic is woefully low.

You are right that we have all met our share of crazies. How many of us are willing to risk it all to report them?

We currently have a VERY high profile individual in the “news” who fraudulently filled out a gun permit form. Did the FBI do anything about it?

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #77  
Come on fellas, let’s get real.....
Nobody in their right mind will take a gun and shoot multiple people. Its an act of pure insanity.
I do think people can go insane for the moment, and other than that moment, they are find fuctioning people who aren't insane.

The issue is in that moment of insanity, numerous people can be killed pretty quick depending on the tool used.

A crime of passion easily comes to mind. I actually learned while I was in college a bowling buddy of mine back home was killed along with his girlfriend by the girlfriends ex boyfriend with a shotgun. Guy just basically went nuts.

At the end of the day, I just remind myself that if I ever got to that point of being that insane to kill someone else in anger, I'd be better off just taking my own life than someone elses.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.
It seems that many of these mass killers kill members of their family first then go on the killing spree. It is impossible for me to believe that anyone who kills their mother is not mentally ill or completely drugged out.

Also, so many of us who own guns, because we have the right to, stupidly supply these guns to individuals who do the crimes. In this Parish (county) last year 27 people had their guns stolen from their unlocked cars. People who lose their guns this way are not prosecuted because if they were they would not report the thefts. If you have the right to own a gun you also have the right to take the necessary precautions to prevent it from falling into the hands of criminals.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #79  
I do think people can go insane for the moment, and other than that moment, they are find fuctioning people who aren't insane.

The issue is in that moment of insanity, numerous people can be killed pretty quick depending on the tool used.

A crime of passion easily comes to mind. I actually learned while I was in college a bowling buddy of mine back home was killed along with his girlfriend by the girlfriends ex boyfriend with a shotgun. Guy just basically went nuts.

At the end of the day, I just remind myself that if I ever got to that point of being that insane to kill someone else in anger, I'd be better off just taking my own life than someone elses.
Maybe some, but that loss of control, enough to kill multiple people (mass murder) is enough to indicate underlying mental illness. Its a complete loss of mental control. It was probably always there.
Im not saying ALL mass murderers are insane, I’m saying the majority are.
Crimes of passion, where a guy kills another guy sleeping with his wife are a good example of a momentary loss of control, but those are not mass murders either, like someone walking into a public place and killing 10 people.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #80  
Insane may be much different than being confused, brainwashed, or influenced by the wrong crowd.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities". -----Voltaire

Status
Not open for further replies.